Increase Computer Speed Using your Notepad
Edited by Michael Mangada, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Michael J. and 21 others
Random Access Memory or RAM is a part of your PC which temporarily stores the necessary data needed for a program to execute. In some instances, as programs are closed, they leave small chunks of data in the RAM. These chunks of data are left unused yet take up space in the RAM. As more programs are run and terminated, the amount of "idle" data left in the RAM piles up and takes up a considerable space. This is not a problem if you have a lot of RAM to spare. But if you have 1 GB or less amount of RAM and you use RAM-intensive programs at the same time, then the issue becomes more apparent. Your PC slows down.
There are a lot of software out there that offer RAM optimization and promise PC speed up for a certain fee. But if you do not want to shell out money in order to clear and optimize your PC's RAM, you can make your own RAM optimizer using Notepad!
This article will tell you how.
- 1 Instructions
- 2 Is it true that adding .vbs file to my string speeds up my PC?
- 3 How does it work?
- 4 Tips Tricks & Warnings
5 Questions and Answers
- 5.1 How to increase computer speed?
- 5.2 My wallpaper doesn't set. When I shut down the computer it set some time and when I start the computer it is dismissed?
- 5.3 Just googled RAM.vbs and your article popped up. Thanks?
- 5.4 How can I increase RAM with cmd?
- 5.5 With a 4 GB RAM PC but only 3 GB usable, do I have to put 409600000? Or, less?
- 5.6 How to overclock the processor using cmd? It'll really help?
- 6 Comments
- 2FreeMem=Space(64000000) if your RAM is below 1GB.Type the following code in Notepad.
FreeMem=Space(51200000) if your RAM is 512 MB
FreeMem=Space(102400000) if your RAM is 1GB
FreeMem=Space(204800000) if your RAM is 2GB
FreeMem=Space(409600000) if your RAM is 4GB and so on.
- 1You can name it however you want as long as you append a .vbs extension to the file name as you save. In this case, we will name our file "Boost.vbs" and save it on the Desktop for easy navigation. The file should look like the one boxed with a red rectangular shape in the image above.Save the file with a VBS extension.
- 2Open a new Notepad file.
- 4In this case, we will name it "Boost2.vbs"Save it as a VBS file.
Is it true that adding .vbs file to my string speeds up my PC?
Yes, it is true that adding .vbs file embedded with the right code could actually speed up a PC. A .vbs extension is an extension associated with VBScript files. VBScript is a scripting language for Microsoft. In layman's speak, VBScript is capable of communicating and issuing commands to your PC's Microsoft Windows operating system via a certain set of codes.
Apparently, VBScript has a certain code for telling the operating system to detect and "free up" unused RAM in your PC. And that exactly is the code embedded within the vbs file discussed in this article.
How does it work?
When you run the .vbs file in your computer, it forces the computer to clear the "idle" data stored in RAM or the data left by programs you recently used and terminated. With additional vacant RAM, you will now have more RAM to allocate to programs you wish to run.
The cleared up idle data is not totally terminated. It is relegated to the "virtual memory" or swap file of the PC. A virtual memory is a portion of your PC's hard disk that is used by the operating system as if it was an extension of the RAM. Because hard disks have relatively slower access rates than the true physical RAM, it is not advisable to use excessive amounts of virtual memory for running programs as it bogs down the PC. In this case, because what we are trying to get rid of are data that are not essential for any presently running programs or processes, it is okay to utilize the virtual memory.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- This is very useful after you play a game or to Software that uses a lot of RAM.
- This is like restarting your PC without restarting your PC.
- This is particularly useful for old PCs with limited RAM resources.
Questions and Answers
Why when I save it, it shapes as notepad file? Even when I want to open it by open with option there are no options to run it? Please help me, how can I save it as vbs file and then run it to clean my RAM?
That cases sometimes really happen and I suggest you try some other ways to create vbs files. Don't worry because I will teach you on how to make it. This one will definitely help you in making the file you want to do. Just follow the steps given below.
- First open a command prompt. You can open it by selecting "Start" then click "Run" >.
- Then dialog box appear, just type "command or cmd". (In keyboard shortcut keys simply press winkey + R)
- Then the command prompt automatically appears. To change your directory path to the desktop just type " CD desktop" then press enter. Your work will be saved to your desktop. This will help you to easily find your saved work.
- The picture below is the best illustration of what your work should look like. Then now start to do extension name .vbs file. Simply type copy con + name of your file (example is this => " copy con Boost.vbs ") then press enter.
- Do the same procedure in the instruction number 2 above this article. Choose the appropriate RAM corresponding to your personal computer. (This is the example => type "FreeMem=Space(204800000))After you put the keyword for your RAM then press enter. After enter press Ctrl + z on your keyboard then enter.
Note: After you press Ctrl + z, it should look like this "^Z" as like what you see in the picture illustrate below. Don't ever try to type it manually cause it will automatically appear when you press Ctrl + z.
- Your work will save to your Desktop. And to create the other files just simply follow the same procedure that you do.
Now you create and save extension files .vbs in just a simple way.
How to increase computer speed?
My system is slow including internet
It would help to delete cookies as well as the history of searches. You need to do a virus check, as well as certain viruses, cause the system to slow down. You may want to remove applications that you don't use as that just clogs down the system of your computer.
Defragmentation also helps a lot in increasing computer speed. Doing it at least once a month would be very beneficial.
My wallpaper doesn't set. When I shut down the computer it set some time and when I start the computer it is dismissed?
My computer wallpaper doesn't set. I try the following: Desktop right button Arrange icon by lock Web items on the desktop. then it set. but when I shut down computer it is dismissed.
Could explain a bit more about your problem, if you are having some troubles in setting up your wallpaper and it won't save then you might haven't click the apply button or OK button after applying your new settings to take effect.
If you are trying to arrange the desktop icons using the computer properties and desktop, you must click the apply button and click OK to save your settings.
When you locate a picture that you will want in order to set as a wallpaper you can simply pick the picture you are wanting then right click on it to open up the menu for you to set as a wallpaper.
Just googled RAM.vbs and your article popped up. Thanks?
Just wanted to speed my computer up.
Yes, if you follow the instructions given, it will be able to speed up your computer, as long as you have actually embedded the right codes onto the notepad. Using the VBS script allows you to give commands to the operating system of your computer. Just make sure you type the codes as it is to avoid any errors.
See more questions like this: Can I play Deadpool game that requires 2 GB RAM on my PC, but only has 1GB RAM?
How can I increase RAM with cmd?
How can I increase RAM on my Dell Inspiron 4110 with cmd. I heard that you can use sfc/scannow, but that didn't work for me. Please help me
You cannot increase physical RAM without buying and installing RAM into your computer, but you can change the virtual memory page file size.
- 1Press the Windows key.
- 2Type "cmd".
- 3Right-click "cmd.exe" or "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator".
wmic computersystem where name="%computername%" set Automatic Managed Pagefile=False
- 5Then, type
wmic pagefileset create name="c:\pagefile.sys"
- 6Lastly, type
wmic pagefileset where name="c:\pagefile.sys" set InitialSize=16384,MaximumSize=16384
- 7You will need the free space on your hard drive.You can substitute 16384 (16 GB) with any other value to change the virtual RAM size.
- 8Ignore it if you see that error.You can encounter an error after the 'wmic pagefileset create name="c:\pagefile.sys"' command.
- 9Reboot your PC.
With a 4 GB RAM PC but only 3 GB usable, do I have to put 409600000? Or, less?
The PC has 4 GB of RAM, but it only says that 3 GB are usable when creating a .vbs notepad, do I type FreeMem=Space(409600000) or do I need to use a different set of numbers? Thank you. I have tried: I have tried to search it but I am still unsure
- 1Enter the usable amount of RAM, For 3 GB, that will be "FreeMem=Space(3221225472)".
- 2Now, if you want to see if you can enable more than 3 GB, follow the steps below.
- 3Press the Windows and "Pause - Break" buttons.
- 4It can be either 64-bit or 32-bit.Check "System type".
- 5For 32-bit systems, you can do nothing.
- 6For 64-bit, you can try to adjust msconfig settings.
- 7Press the Windows button.
- 8Type "msconfig" and press "Enter".
- 9Click the "Boot" tab.
- 10Next, click "Advanced..."
- 11Check "Maximum memory".
- 12Type "4096".
- 13Click "OK" and "Apply".
- 14Check your available memory and adjust the "FreeMem" option if necessary.Restart your computer.Advertisement
See more questions like this: Can I run BlueStacks App Player on a PC that has 1 GB of RAM
How to overclock the processor using cmd? It'll really help?
If you could find this out for me, I'm a windows insider, I will send this to Microsoft as a suggestion via a feedback hub. So help me find a way, and thank you for reading this question.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Software
Recent edits by: Maria, Murugan, Psamy