Improve Your Health by Eating Olives Daily
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Robbi, Lynn, Jonathan and 5 others
Improve your health by eating olives daily
Do you ever wonder what the secret of the Mediterranean Diet is? Olives. It is a testimony that olives can do great wonders to health. There are certain places in Italy, where eating olives is like a daily ritual, and where people were noted to enjoy longer longevity. Fact or myth? Who does not like olives on pizzas, pies, sandwiches, salads, or sandwiches? It is indeed wonderful to know that gorging on something can bring good to your body.
Olive oil has snatched the world's attention when it comes to healthy oil, as it helps address the problem on obesity and the like. While the debate whether olive oil is really healthy is raging, its delicious fruit continues to enjoy its stature as one of the planet's favorite fruit ingredients to a lot of dishes and cocktails.
Top health rewards of eating olives every day
- 1The antioxidants found in olives help prevent heart attack. This is achieved by battling the free radicals that oxidize cholesterol responsible in damaging blood vessels as it builds up in arteries. Conversely, the monounsaturated fats helps keep the level of LDL (low density lipid) or bad cholesterol low. Further, the oleic acid found in olives has been shown to change the signalling patterns in the cell membrane to lower blood pressure.Its antioxidants and monounsaturated oil keep the heart healthy.Advertisement
- 2The oil in olives, which is of the healthy monounsaturated type, can aid in weight loss through breaking down the fats inside fat cells, diminishing insulin insensitivity, and in actively metabolizing belly fat. Studies revealed that its consumption leads to an increase in the levels of serotonin, a satiety hormone that keeps a dieter feeling full. This helps weight watchers to cut back on their calorie intake by eating less. The aroma extracted from olive oil is enough to make a person feel fullness.The monounsaturated fats boost weight loss.Advertisement
- 3Chronic oxidative stress and inflammation have been noted as the deadly combination that can lead to cancer. Thus, preventing cancer must basically start from supplying the body with enough antioxidant and anti-inflammatory factors such as those found in olives. Black olives are widely known as an excellent source of the E vitamin, an antioxidant that with monounsaturated fats can fight free radicals in body fat while promoting safe cellular metabolic reactions. Without a defense against the free radicals, they can oxidize the mitochondria and damage the cell's ability to generate energy. Damaging the DNA, on the other hand, can result to cellular mutation and cancer.The potent antioxidant - the anti-inflammatory properties of olives fight cancer.
- 4Olives has several kinds of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory substances that can diminish pain. The active ingredient that has anti-inflammatory properties is known as oleocanthal. If you want to get oleocanthal with the potency of one-tenth of the adult dose of ibuprofen, you only need to take about 3.5 tablespoons (30g) of extra virgin olive oil.Its anti-inflammatory property is like a natural ibuprofen.
- 5The vitamin E and other nutrients of black olives can help in neutralizing the free radicals to fight colon cancer, ulcer, gastritis and other digestive disorders. The oil from olives also aid in normalizing production and secretion of bile and pancreatic enzymes and hormones that lowers the chance for developing gallstones. The fibers in the olives similarly help in moving the food along the alimentary canal with ease while keeping the entire system in a balanced state.It can foster gastric and intestinal health.
- 6Noted for its high vitamin E content are the black olives that protect, hydrate and nourish these body parts. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that can guard your skin against the harmful effects of solar radiation that can trigger premature aging, hyper-pigmentation, and cancer. To have a glowing skin tone, wash your face using warm water and then dab on a few drops of olive oil. Leave it on for at least 15 minutes to let work its magic before washing it off. You can also use it as a moisturizer that you can apply before your bath. Mixing it with an egg makes it a perfect hair treatment that can leave your hair feeling nourished, healthy and bouncy.Rejoice in the antioxidants and fatty acids that perk the health of your skin and hair.
- 7New researches are showing that olive extracts can block certain histamine receptors, known as H1 receptors. It is hypothesized that this can still be related to the anti-inflammatory properties of olives intercepting with the anti-histamine pathway. Another possibility is olive having other anti-allergenic components. One thing that has been observed is how consuming olives help one breathe more easily. It is recommended for people suffering from asthma.It can block certain histamine receptors to fight allergies.
- 8This is because olives, especially the black variety, have excellent iron content. First, it supports the health of red blood cells responsible for the distribution of oxygen all throughout the body. Iron is also important in cellular metabolism related to energy generation. It is also a component of several enzymes such as iron peroxidase, iron catalase, and the enzymes utilized in the cytochrome electron transport system. Even the health of the immune system is dependent on iron.It helps keep the blood and other iron-requiring processes functioning well.
- 10In fact, a cup of olives contain enough vitamin A containing 10 percent of the recommended daily allowance for this vitamin. This is important to keep eyes healthy and protected against eye problems such as muscular degeneration, glaucoma, cataracts, and other age-related ocular maladies.It has vitamin A that promotes eye health.
Things to remember when buying olives
- 1FDA has discovered that acrylamide levels are quite high (about 1,925 ppb) in certain brands of black canned olives. This is believed to be a direct result of improper handling, processing and storage methods. It is better to buy the ones retailed in glass jars.The "Acrylamide Scare".Advertisement
- 2If you want to explore the flavors of the different olives, buying from an "olive bar" will certainly work for you. Rather than buy olives pre-packed in a can or bottle, you can hit an olive bar where a great variety of this healthy fruit is available in bulk of large barrels or bins. Take your pick - pitted, or stuffed with garlic, peppers, or almonds - and buy what you want to try or need for the time being.The "olive bar".
- 3If you love olives so much or you like buying food stuff in bulk, make sure to buy from shops or stores that have fast turnover. Check out too if the olives are immersed in brine to keep them fresh and moist. These are practical parameters of olive freshness when you buy them:Buy from where turnover is fast.
Other benefits of the Mediterranean diet
- 1They are high in fat, but of the healthy, monounsaturated kind. Studies show that eating almonds can lower LDL or bad cholesterol. Almonds also protect against diabetes if eaten after a high carbohydrate meal because it reduces level of blood sugar. Almonds are also rich in vitamin E and a good source of magnesium, fiber, and vitamin B2.Almonds.
- 2This fruit is not native to the Mediterranean. It came from the Americas through the Spanish conquistadors. It is also rich in heart-friendly monounsaturated fat. It contains beta-sitosterol, which is a plant sterol that lowers cholesterol levels. Avocados are also sources of potassium, folic acid, and vitamins B6, K, and C. Add avocados to your salads and salsas so that you can increase your consumption of lycopene, beta-carotene, and other carotenoid compounds.Avocados.
- 3Contains high amounts of compounds called phenols which are linked to a significant reduction in cardiovascular disease. In a study, participants who ate a breakfast high in phenols had lower incidence of inflammation of genes in the body compared to participants who had a low phenol breakfast.Olive oil.Advertisement
Tips and Warnings
- Whenever you have the opportunity to eat olives, a moderate dose will always be healthy, but depending on quantity and not in excess.
- The need to stimulate the digestive system. But beware: All the excesses are bad, especially if you suffer from hypertension or obesity.
Questions and Answers
When is the right time to eat olives?
What should be the quantity? I have tried: I have not tried anything yet. I think it might be caused by my health.
You can eat olives as food supplements, which means that you can do it during your meals; but it is safe to eat them when you are not eating as well. It is preferred to split recommended dosages into smaller ones throughout the day (3 or 4 intakes).
The dosage may vary depending on the diagnosis. Please note that those dosages do not add up (so, no 30 ml of olive oil and 3 olives daily: choose only one dosage). All of the dosages are for adults.
Also, please note that it is not medical advice as we are not qualified doctors to prescribe any medication: to seek professional help or if you have any illnesses that may prevent eating olives, please see your therapist.
- 23 g daily for lowering cholesterol;
- 30-40 g daily of extra-virgin olive oil as part of the diet to lower your blood pressure;
- 25-180 mg of olive leaf extract divided into four dosages daily to lower your blood pressure;
- 30 ml daily for bowel movement;
- 54 g daily for heart-related problems;
- 1 litre of extra-virgin olive oil weekly for heart-related problems.
- 5-6 daily for eradicating the vitamin (A, B, C, D, E, P, and K) deficiency;
- 3-4 daily to stimulate your appetite;
- 6-8 daily for bowel movement.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Improve Your Health by Eating Olives Daily. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Improve_Your_Health_by_Eating_Olives_Daily
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Improve Your Health by Eating Olives Daily." VisiHow, visihow.com/Improve_Your_Health_by_Eating_Olives_Daily Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Improve Your Health by Eating Olives Daily." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Improve_Your_Health_by_Eating_Olives_Daily.
Categories : Physical Health
Recent edits by: Mahfooz, Eng, sheryl hernandez