Improve Digestion and Bowel Function with Coconut
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Robbi, Lynn, Graeme and 7 others
Where will you be when diarrhea strikes - this is a very dread dreadful question and also a nightmarish experience for some people, especially the well-traveled ones who have an inkling of what the question implies. Messed-up digestion and loose bowel functions are both very distressing sicknesses that you may encounter at home or out in the streets. Thankfully, our plain ol' coconut is here to save the day.
- 1 What's in a coconut?
- 2 Coconut recipes and whatnot
- 3 Berry Energy Smoothie
- 4 Avocado Coconut Oil Smoothie
- 5 Types and signs of indigestion and bowel dysfunction
- 6 FAQ's
- 7 Improve Digestion and Bowel Function with Coconut: The Amazing Power of Coconut
- 8 Tips, Tricks, and Warning
- 9 Questions and Answers
- 10 Comments
What's in a coconut?
You'll be surprised that all parts of a coconut tree can be utilized and used in all different ways, from furniture, wines and oils to timber and medicine. If that's not enough to impress you, then this will - coconut can proactively improve your digestion and bowel function, that's what you're here for, right?
- 2This bacteria aids our bodies' own microorganisms, which are needed for good digestion, like bifidobacterium and lactobacillus.Coconut water is also known to contain probiotic bacteria, much like many other fermented foods, like miso, soy, kombucha, tempeh and others.Advertisement
- 3Fife, coconuts do help the body promote proper food digestion and muscle contractions to aid in bowel movement. It also relieves the symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease and multi-stomach ulcers. This is derived from a book named "The Coconut Miracle".Based on the study conducted by Dr.
- 4Coconut oil is also antimicrobial which prevents overgrowth of bacteria and fungal infections like candidiasis, and this makes coconut oil a useful ingredient for colon cleansing.Coconut oil is a rich source of both fiber and nutrition, and it contains large amounts of medium chain triglycerides, which help in eliminating parasitic infections.
Coconut recipes and whatnot
Now that you're convinced about the coconut's healing properties, to start benefiting from coconut, simply incorporate it into your everyday cooking and food consumption because really, there are tons of coconut products out there! From powders to juices, oils, balms and even jam, the variety is endless. Now, if you are new to using coconut ingredients in your everyday recipes you should start with drinks as it has lower chance of aggravating digestive and bowel functions. It will do you good to try these simple recipes below:
- 1 ½ cups of almond milk - cow/carabao milk will work as just well
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- ½ cup coconut flesh
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 banana (frozen or not - however you want it)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 6 cubes of ice if the banana is not frozen.
Blend in your blender at high speed until smooth and enjoy! Put remaining coconut flesh and strawberry on top for a tasteful delight!
Berry Energy Smoothie
- 11 cup of berries of your choiceAdvertisement
- 2½ banana
- 3½ cup milk - almond milk, coconut milk or whatever type that you want
- 4½ cup purified water
- 51 ½ tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 6½ cup of ice
- 7¼ cup orange juice
- 8More ice as needed
Simply blend in your blender until frothy smooth and enjoy!
Avocado Coconut Oil Smoothie
- 12 tablespoons honey
- 21/8 cup pecans
- 31 large fresh avocado fruit
- 41 ½ cups milk - almond milk, coconut milk or whatever works best for you
- 52 tablespoons coconut oil
Blend in your blender until it becomes smooth and enjoy! You can also sprinkle cinnamon on top to garnish!
- 1Alternatively, you can just take coconut oil supplements through capsules or just replacing your normal vegetable/olive oil with virgin organic coconut oil.
Types and signs of indigestion and bowel dysfunction
- 1It can be common and is not always serious, and usually lasts about two to three days.Diarrhea - Typically means having bowel movements and stools that are loose and watery.
- 2Heartburn is typically associated with a warm to hot burning feeling that rises up from the abdominal area into the chest just under the breastbone or sternum. It could be accompanied by a sour taste in the mouth, finding food/fluid in your mouth or just hyper-salivation, especially at night.Reflux/heartburn - One of the most common types of digestive dysfunction.
- 4This illness can debilitate you when it becomes chronic. In this case the intestines' ability to absorb nutrients from the food we eat is hampered, leading to nutritional deficiencies. Certain foods can aggravate this illness, which becomes a challenge for sufferers to find foods that can be tolerated by their stomach.Ulcerative colitis - Similar to the condition above, this one affects the colon or the lower part of a human's intestinal tract.
- 5Around 30-50 million Americans are lactose intolerant. This illness means that an individual is lacking an enzyme needed to process the main sugar in milk, causing bloating, gas, nausea, cramping and diarrhea. It usually occurs 30 minutes to two hours or so after consumption of dairy products.Lactose intolerance - This is one very common digestive problem that causes bowel dysfunction.
- 2Well, if you have lactose intolerance, it's obvious that you shouldn't take it with milk. It could worsen it. And don't mix it with any highly acidic drink or even carbonated beverages.Are there foods that I can't associate with coconut oil when treating digestive problems?Advertisement
Improve Digestion and Bowel Function with Coconut: The Amazing Power of Coconut
Suffice to say, coconut is among the favorite ingredients in making a variety of luscious delicacies. Indeed, coconut is a fruit with a big collection of health benefits. Among the health conditions that could be alleviated by coconut are digestive related disorders.
Digestive Problems which can be Cured by Coconut
Below are some of the digestive related issues that are commonly experienced by a lot of people:
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Redundant and Twisted Colon
- Crohn's Disease
- Stomach Ulcers
- Duodenal Ulcers
Coconut's myriad health benefits are well-acknowledged by Asians and Polynesians, which is why they make a lot of foods that are coconut inspired.
Coconut and the Digestive System
Coconut is jam packed with amino acids, minerals, and vitamins. It contains medium chain triglycerides, and it boasts amazing anti-microbial properties. These properties could aid in enhancing the symptoms of various digestive diseases, especially those that are triggered by infections, viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Thanks to modern medicine, the potentials of coconut are being maximized - particularly coconut oil and its medicinal properties.
Coconut and the Colon
It was discovered that coconut could aid in cleansing the colon. It can help in eradicating toxins and wastes that are harbored the digestive tract. Coconut can also heal and nourish the tissue cells that surround the digestive tract and nearby organs.
The Beauty of Coconut Oil
As mentioned above and backed up by the Coconut Research Center, coconut is jam packed with nutrition, and especially fiber. The oil of this miracle fruit is different from other kinds of oils, since it contains medium chain triglycerides, or, to make it simpler, medium chain fatty acids. It has been proven by science that medium chain triglycerides are capable of enhancing nutrition absorption, and can aid in eradicating parasitic infections.
The antimicrobial properties of coconut can also defy the overgrowth of the so-called bad bacteria, as well as prevent the emergence of fungal infections like Candidiasis. This is why coconut has been referred to as an excellent regimen for colon cleansing.
Digestive Disorders and Coconut
Aside from its power to cleanse the colon, coconut (specifically coconut oil) can counteract various digestive related disorders, as well as nutritional deficiencies, associated with inflammatory bowel disorders. One common digestive disease, Crohn's disease, which affects the ileum and can extend to the small intestines and colon, can be alleviated by coconut and coconut byproducts, including coconut macaroons.
As explained by National Digestive Disease Clearinghouse, this particular disease irritates as well as makes the digestive tract swell, which then leads to fistulas, ulcerations, diarrhea and infection. Some of the Crohn's symptoms can cause absorption and digestion problems, as well as nutritional deficiencies. Coconut can help in preventing these problems and researchers believe that it's because of the coconut meat's fiber's short chain fatty acids.
Tips, Tricks, and Warning
- Holistic treatments are just for that - treating and not curing.
- Before self-medicating, be sure that you know what is really wrong with you. You might be suffering from a dangerous illness that no amount of coconut can treat. Consult your doctor.
- Coconut is found to be completely non-toxic to humans.
- You can find a good coconut oil supplement here. 
Questions and Answers
Right amount of coconut oil per day?
Hi! I have suffered from a long term constipation since childhood (used to hold off from going to the loo due to spiders in our outside toilet - yes really, an outdoor loo, but . . . this was in the 1950s!! Recently I took Sea Buckthorn Oil for my dry eyes and other mucosal linings, great. The oil cured this but sent my blood sugar and adrenaline completely haywire so had to discontinue it, now all is settled again in those debts. But the Buckthorn Oil made me 'go' like never before, I was completely clearing out my colon including no end of sludge type goo, yuk! Now off the oil I am back to being unable to get rid of anything much, small amounts only and only every 4/5 days or so. I want to try Coconut Oil therefore. How much should I start with please and how much should I work up to in order to get my optimum daily dose? Don't want to overdo it as I have a sensitive metabolism due to my celtic red hair & freckles coloring but I feel Coconut Oil could well solve my problems. Thanks, mate!
The dosage of coconut oil is strictly individual, but, as you have mentioned that you have sensitive digestion and the nature of the ailment is chronic, you may start with 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil daily. Take 1 tablespoon in the morning, and 1/2 tablespoon at dinner. See if it helps after several days. If not, increase it to 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 tablespoon in the evening closer to bed hours. Then, if the amount of oil is still not bringing the desired effect, you are free to increase the dosage gradually every several days until you find the optimal dosage that gives you the best results. Try not to increase the dosage after that.
Categories : Physical Health
Recent edits by: vc, VisiHow, Chamath Gunawardana