How to Stop and Reverse Hair Loss With Basil vs Black Cumin Seeds vs Cinnamon ... and 6 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Inukshuk, Anonymous
Common kitchen spices have been used for years to heal the scalp, prevent balding and stimulate new hair growth. Here are the top spices, likely sitting right now in your kitchen cupboard, that you can use as a Hair Loss Treatment:
Method 1: With Basil
Basil helps to stop hair loss and promote healthy hair growth because:
- Basil is a rich source of magnesium, which helps nourish hair follicles
- Basil is a natural anti-inflammatory that helps prevent infections and chronic conditions such as insulin resistance shrink hair follicles and prevent them from growing hair
- This herb stimulates the circulatory system and brings nourishment to the scalp follicles
- Basil helps strengthen hair strands against breakage and makes it more pliable and soft
Fresh basil and dry basil both work well to help restore hair. Basil can be added to almost any dish but it works particularly well with tuna, Italian pasta and in salads. Basil sprigs can also be added to drinks, gelatos and smoothies for an extra boost of hair-healthy nutrition.
Basil Hair Rinse and Tea
You can also make a Basil Hair Rinse to clarify your scalp and encourage hair growth.
- 1Put three to four tablespoons (about seven sprigs of basil) in a teapot.Advertisement
- 2Pour boiling water over the herb.Advertisement
- 3Let warm to room temperature and use it as a rinse on your hair.
If you want, you can also drink this as a tea. You may want to drink it cold by adding the basil tea water it to a glass of lemonade.
Method 2: With Black Cumin Seeds
Black Cumin seed helps to prevent hair loss and regrow new hair because:
- It is a warming spice that increases your circulation
- Ground up cumin seeds provide a nutritious oil full of vitamins and minerals that pampers the hair and scalp including iron calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and biotin
- Cumin is also a natural booster of immunity that helps prevent infections of the scalp and the hair follicles
- Cumin helps balance the pancreas and keep blood sugar very low which in turn prevents hair loss due to metabolic issues
- Cumin helps clarify the scalp so that there is less dandruff to deal with
Cumin can be added to desserts, chilies, curries, breads, salsas, spreads, rice, meat dishes and sauteed vegetables. You can also drink it as a tea.
Cumin Seed Scalp and Hair Mask
- 1Fill a saucepan with one cup of water.Advertisement
- 2Add three heaping teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 3Bring the seeds to boiling and then let it steep for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Add one egg yolk and then apply the mixture to your scalp.
- 5Let the mixture sit on your scalp thirty minutes and rinse it out.
Method 3: With Cinnamon
Cinnamon helps stop prevent hair loss and stimulate hair growth because:
- It is a warming spice that dilates the tiny blood vessels on the scalp and increases circulation to the hair follicles, which in turn aids new hair growth.
- It has anti-fungal properties, which means it prevents hair loss from minor fungus attacks that cause dandruff and ringworm.
- It has anti-bacterial properties that your scalp from getting infected with bacteria that can cause hair loss.
- Consuming cinnamon helps lower blood sugar, which is helpful because low blood sugar shrinks hair follicles and leads to baldness.
- Cinnamon contains coumarin, which is a naturally occurring blood thinner that helps speed nutrients to your scalp
A pinch of cinnamon can be added every day to all kinds of foods including porridge, fruit salads, chilies, curries, desserts, smoothies and baked goods. Simply sprinkling cinnamon on slices of apple and consuming them is a very healthy way to obtain the benefits of cinnamon for your hair.
Cinnamon Hair Paste
To make a topical paste to regrow hair with cinnamon that can be applied to your scalp to increase circulation:
- 1Heat half a cup of olive oil until warm in a sauce pan.Advertisement
- 2Add 1 heaping tablespoon of cinnamon.
- 3Make sure the mixture is cool enough to apply to your hair
- 4Massage the mixture into your scalp and wrap your head with a towel.
- 5Leave the mixture on for at least thirty minutes but no more than two hours.
Do NOT use cinnamon on your skin if you are pregnant. This recipe is not recommended for people with extremely oil scalps.
Method 4: With Coriander Seeds
Coriander Seeds help to prevent hair loss and regrow hair because:
- Coriander is a warm, stimulating spice that increases circulation and helps bring nutrients from the blood to the scalp
- Coriander helps lower blood sugar and reduce the risk of hair loss due to metabolic disorders, pre-diabetes and diabetes
- Coriander contains phytonutrients that lower cholesterol and fight cardiovascular diseases that can cause hair loss
- Coriander is a natural anti-inflammatory that calms and heals afflicted hair follicles and helps them regrow hair
- Coriander is a natural chelation agent and helps detoxify the bloodstream and scalp of heavy metals
- Coriander also reduces anxiety and relaxes the body helping it to recover and heal from stress-related hair loss
Coriander seeds are added to salad dressings, curries, chilies, salsas, dips, salads and desserts. Fresh coriander has many of the same properties as the tea.
Coriander Tea and Hair Rinse
To make Coriander Tea and Hair Rinse for hair loss:
- 1Crush 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle
- 2Crush ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4Grate ginger root until you have ½ teaspoon
- 5Infuse one tablespoon of this herb mixture into two to three cups water.
- 6Drink this tea hot or let it cool down and use it as a hair rinse.
Method 5: With Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds can prevent hair loss and promote hair growth because:
- Fenugreek is very rich in the B vitamins, folic acid and vitamin C , which helps boost the immune system and helps grow hair and helps the scalp absorb minerals.
- Fenugreek is a rich source of minerals needed to grow great hair including iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper and zinc.
- Fenugreek lowers blood sugar and helps alleviate hair loss due to metabolic disorders and diabetes
- Fenugreek is a very warming herb that helps improve circulation and stimulate hair growth
Fenugreek seeds are used in Indian flat breads and curries. It is also a common ingredient in fake maple syrup.
To make Fenugreek tea for consumption
- 1Put three to four tablespoons (about seven sprigs of basil) in a teapot.
- 2Pour boiling water over the herb.
- 3Let warm to room temperature and drink.
Fenugreek Tea Hair Paste
To make a Fenugreek seed hair paste:
- 1Soak 3 heaping teaspoons whole Fenugreek seeds in warm water overnight.
- 2Grind the Fenugreek seeds into a fine paste.
- 3Mix the Fenugreek seeds into half a cup of yogurt
- 4Apply the mixture as a paste to your scalp.
- 5Leave it on for at least and hour before rinsing it out.
Method 6: With Parsley
Parsley helps to stop hair loss and promote hair regrowth because:
- Parsley is a natural source of B vitamins and Pantothenic acid, which specifically helps grow healthy hair
- Parsley is a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K and Vitamin E, which keeps your immune system strong and helps prevent damage from bacterial infections
- Parsley contains zinc and copper, two minerals that work together to repair hair follicles and prevent scalp damage
- Parsley contains iron and folate which is needed to sustain healthy hair growth, especially in those with compromised immune systems
Parsley can be added to almost any savory dish but it is particularly good eaten raw in salads, mixed with tuna or salmon and added to egg dishes and fish dishes. Parsley is also a great addition to any soup.
Parsley Tea or Hair Rinse
To make a Parsley Tea that can be consumed as tea or used as a hair rinse:
- 1Take ½ cup fresh sprigs of parsley, or two tablespoons of dried parsley and put it a brewing vessel
- 2Pour boiling water over the herb and let it steep for fifteen minutes
- 3Drink hot OR let it cool and use it as a hair rinse in the shower.
Method 7: With Rosemary
Rosemary helps to prevent hair loss and regrow hair because:
- Rosemary is an excellent source of Vitamin A, which is beneficial for healing the scalp and healing scalp rosacea (acne), fungal infections and bacterial infections that could be preventing your hair from growing
- Rosemary is a herb that is rich in iron and folate, which are two nutrients needed for the health of your scalp and growing lustrous shiny locks
- This herb is also very rich in potassium, magnesium and manganese,which support the nervous and cardiovascular systems, as well as scalp health
Rosemary is added to meat dishes, especially lamb, steak and chicken, salads and home-made flavored waters. It can also be used in salad dressing and baked goods.
Rosemary Tea or Hair Rinse
Rosemary tea is beneficial in two ways. Rosemary tea can be applied as a rinse to your scalp after shampooing to help clarify your hair follicles or you can simply drink it to take advantage of its healing properties.
To make Rosemary tea or rinse:
- 1Pick out several sprigs of fresh rosemary, or you can use two tablespoons of dried rosemary and put in a teapot.
- 2Pour boiling water over the rosemary and let it steep for ten minutes.
- 3Consume warm or let the brew cool down and use as hair rinse.
Method 8: With Sage
Sage helps to stop and reverse hair loss because:
- It contains ample amounts of B and C, which helps nourish the scalp, prevent infection and produce healthy hair strands
- Sage contains several minerals crucial to hair growth including magnesium, zinc and potassium, all of which nourish hair follicles and improve the tensile strength of hair
- Sage is a natural antiseptic and antibiotic, which helps clear up hair loss issues caused by illness, wounds, acne and fungal infections
Sage is used in many savory dishes but especially in egg, chicken, lamb and bean dishes. It is used with olive oil on pasta and added to stuffings and soups. Sage butter goes well on trout. Sage also goes well in watermelon or lemon based homemade waters and with pineapple.
Sage Hair Rinse or Tea
To make Sage Tea or Sage Hair Rinse:
- 1Pick out three or four sprigs of fresh sage, or you can use two tablespoons of dried sage and put in a teapot.
- 2Pour boiling water over the sage and let it steep for ten minutes.
- 3Drink the resulting sage tea brew or use it as hair rinse.
Method 9: With Thyme
Thyme helps to stop and reverse hair loss because:
- Thyme has powerful anti-fungal and antiseptic qualities that help prevent hair loss due to fungal infections like dandruff and ringworm
- Thyme is rich in magnesium, potassium and selenium with promotes hair growth
- Thyme contains many powerful anti-oxidants, but most notably thymol, which protects the cellular membranes of hair follicles against aging and destructive microbes
Thyme is used in many savory dishes, soups and stews. It is especially good with chicken, corn bread and on corn on the cob. Thyme is also used in stuffing's and in marinades for olives.
Thyme Tea and Hair Rinse
To make Thyme Tea or Thyme Hair Rinse:
- 1Pick out four or five fresh sprigs of thyme, or you can use one and 1/2 tablespoons of dried sage and put in a brewing vessel
- 2Pour boiling water over the sage and let it steep for ten minutes.
Tips and Tricks
- Before applying cinnamon to your scalp and skin in the form of a paste, do test patch with it on your skin to make sure that you do not have an allergic reaction to it.
- Not all cinnamon is created equal; make sure that you are buying true Ceylon cinnamon rather than Cassia cinnamon, which has weaker properties
- There are also white and amber cumin seeds available but it is the black cumin seeds that contain the vitamins and minerals that are very helpful for growing hair
- Cumin tea is sometimes sold as Black Seed Tea or Jeera Tea.
- Coriander is also sometimes sold as Cilantro.
- A parsley hair rinse can also help restore color to graying or white hair.
- Pregnant women should avoid ingesting large amounts of parsley tea as it can cause a miscarriage
- It is more economical to buy powdered or whole Fenugreek as the fresh leaves do not keep well
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Hair Loss
Recent edits by: Inukshuk, Eng, Donna