How to Reset your AOL password
Edited by Thomosandrew, Doug Collins, Calob Horton, Dougie and 18 others
AOL is an abbreviation for America Online, one of the country's earliest providers of internet and email services. While AOL's dial-up internet is not as widely used as it once was, many people still use the company's email service. It's a great email service that lets you stay connected with your family and friends -- that is if you remember your password. Forgetting your password on any internet service is an annoying and sometimes painful process; thankfully, AOL has made it easy to recover or reset your account's password.
*Please Read* If you don't remember (or didn't sign up with one) your alternate email address, or you didn't use a mobile phone to register, you will not be able to reset your AOL password. If you find yourself in this situation, create a new account.
If you do have access to your alternate email or mobile number, follow the steps below to reset your AOL password.
- 1 Reset your AOL password
- 2 Questions and Answers
- 2.1 I need help reset it we made a name?
- 2.2 My AOL account has been suspended because of my account being hacked into and I need to reset my password?
- 2.3 I had to have my company do something on my computer and as a result, all passwords were lost. I went on to AOL which I've been using for a hundred years and could not get in. It asks for an alternate email address and when I first got this account in the nineties, it was my friend's account and she let me use it as her guest. Well, all these years later I'm still using it. I did call her but didn't reach her to see if her alternate email would help me. In the meantime, I can read and send from my AOL mail from my iPhone but would love to be able to access it on my desktop but can't. Any advice?
- 2.4 Forgotten AOL password and don't have backup information?
- 2.5 Will not accept AOL password and telling me no such code, does not exist?
- 2.6 I have attempted to change my AOL password, however, the new password will not save?
- 2.7 I am facing a problem while Account opening?
- 2.8 Reset screen comes with someone else's sign-in name. Will not let me change it to mine
- 2.9 Trying to reset password but where it says Enter what you see above there is a blank screen?
- 2.10 I have a new phone and number, so how would I get the code?
- 2.11 I can't reset my AOL password.. it said I need to contact USA number because due to I don't have any account recovery options. But I am now staying in Malaysia... The number doesn't go through from here. What is other option?
- 2.12 Invalid Password Popup Keeps Showing up on SIgnin?
- 3 Comments
Reset your AOL password
AOL gives you the option to add backup email addresses and phone numbers so that, in the event that you do lose your password, you are able to get it back through your recovery information.
Questions and Answers
I need help reset it we made a name?
And now it says to call them, can you help me get into my account ?
If the tutorial does not help you to reset your password, which ofttimes happens when no recovery options have been set, then you will have to call the AOL customer service at +1-855-622-4946 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 1:00 a.m. (ET), and Saturday-Sunday, 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (ET)). The customer service is the only way to help you with the password then.
My AOL account has been suspended because of my account being hacked into and I need to reset my password?
AOL have suspended my access because someone has hacked into my account. When I tried to reset my password I had to give an alternative email address which was a Hotmail address. Apparently, Hotmail has been taken over by my Microsoft Outlook but when I log into this account there is no email there to reset my password
Were you automatically upgraded to an Outlook account? If you then tried using your @Hotmail.com and switch it to @Outlook.com to see if you receive the email. Your account might be suspended if you have not used it for a very long time and then suddenly get a password reset sent to the email. Check your junk folders and spam sections to make sure the email is not hiding in there. You can also go to Microsoft Support and begin the process of gaining access to your account if you think it has been suspended.
See more questions like this: I cannot reset my account
I had to have my company do something on my computer and as a result, all passwords were lost. I went on to AOL which I've been using for a hundred years and could not get in. It asks for an alternate email address and when I first got this account in the nineties, it was my friend's account and she let me use it as her guest. Well, all these years later I'm still using it. I did call her but didn't reach her to see if her alternate email would help me. In the meantime, I can read and send from my AOL mail from my iPhone but would love to be able to access it on my desktop but can't. Any advice?
I need advice on how to be able to access my AOL mail from my desktop.
Since the app is on your phone, you should have the option to text a recovery code to your phone. Then reset the password and change the alternate email address. You are on her account as a Guest but can contact AOL requesting to setup your account as your own.
See more questions like this: My manager asked me to send an email to the entire team for a team lunch, and asking their suggestions for the venue
See more questions like this: How to change the email verification to send the verification to cell phone?
See more questions like this: Blank Screen-Changed Control Panel Monitor setting?
Forgotten AOL password and don't have backup information?
I don't have backup options and I cannot remember my password. Is there any way to reset without having to call AOL
You can check if you have older computers and run browsers on them (the typical browsers are Internet Explorer, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera, Firefox, Chrome, etc.). Run all of the browsers on your current computer too. Each browser has its own settings, but try to find where each one keeps saved passwords. Usually, those are in "Settings" > "Security" under "Saved Log-in names" or "Saved Passwords". Look for my.screenname.AOL.com or AOL.com there and see if you have a password saved. If not, then you might need to set up a new AOL account.
Will not accept AOL password and telling me no such code, does not exist?
I had my Windows 7 updated to Windows 10 Friday 10/10/15 no longer able to get into anything Facebook, AOL, Favorites everything is gone, HELP my password for everything is not accepted. I have tried: Checked all help I could find on sites, none worked, I think it was the update to Window 10. I think it was caused by: I think it was the Widows10 update, Windows 7 worked great prior to the update. I have nothing to go into
- 1It will be the four blocks at the bottom of your screen.Go to Start on your PC taskbar.
- 2Then select Settings and go to Update & Security.
- 3Click on Recovery and select the option Go back to Windows 7.Advertisement
The rollback is only available for one month after the upgrade and then it gets automatically deleted. Once you have reverted, go in and change all of your account passwords but write them down. Something was lost in your upgrade or you should at least try to use Chrome as a browser which saves all your passwords across numerous platforms using a Google Account.
I have attempted to change my AOL password, however, the new password will not save?
I have attempted to change my AOL password, however, the new password will not save
Run a System Recovery on your PC. This usually happens when the Windows software has an issue. The recovery process repairs it and then you can save your password. If you are on iOS then use Safari to change your password as this is one of the only ways it will save properly on iOS. There are programs you can purchase to fix the issue but the System Recovery on Windows is free and will do the trick.
I am facing a problem while Account opening?
I am facing a problem while Account opening. I have tried: Created ID and it is not working. I think it was caused by: Maybe not registered properly
Clear the Cache and Cookies in your browser and then try again. You can also try signing in from a different browser. Make sure you have allowed permission for AOL on your Security settings within your browser and firewall. If you still can't sign in after performing these solutions then delete your account and try again. Make sure you put in the correct alternate email and phone information for Recovery options. Check that alternate email to see if AOL has tried to contact you to verify your account.
Reset screen comes with someone else's sign-in name. Will not let me change it to mine
I checked the forgot password. Got the screen to help with this. It would not let me delete howkis (that's close to what I remember). and put my screen name. The security image is there and already filled out correctly. I didn't do that. I have tried: Tried deleting, tried writing over, tried backspacing, Nothing changed. I think it was caused by: AOL screw-up
It would have been VisiHow and not howkis as you posted. Perhaps you misspelled. If you want to delete an account then it is best to contact them either on the website or via other methods such as a social media private message. Contact AOL directly on the phone number provided on this page. Let them know that you are trying to delete the account but someone else's identity info appears. It is a security glitch they need to resolve. You also may have been hacked so it is a good idea to contact them.
Trying to reset password but where it says Enter what you see above there is a blank screen?
How can I set the password when I am not getting any letters in the box above to type in. I have tried: I don't know what to try. I think it was caused by: Not sure
- Your browser may have images disabled. For example, in Chrome, click the hot-dog menu in the upper-right corner, click "Settings" and "Advanced Settings" and click "Content Settings..." Then, uncheck "Do not show any images". Other browsers may have this option elsewhere.
- Make sure that no extensions or running on your browser. Launch a safe mode. For example, in Chrome, click the hot-dog menu, "More tools", and "Extensions". Uncheck everything and force-reload the page (press "Ctrl" + "F5").
- Install another browser. You can use Seamonkey, for example.
- If you are on a corporate network, ensure that your domain policy is not blocking some content. Contact your administrator for more details on that.
- You could also experience bad connection. Just press "Ctrl"+"F5" to force-refresh the web page.
I have a new phone and number, so how would I get the code?
Can't access my email, forgot the password. I have tried: Everything. I think it was caused by: New phone number You will have to call them directly. This is why it is always good to keep your account information current such as updating phone and email details if you get locked out. You should have had to provide an alternate email address for the account so try to reset the password through the alternate email account option. If you never set one up or can't remember what that was then when you contact them to ask for what email you provided.
I can't reset my AOL password.. it said I need to contact USA number because due to I don't have any account recovery options. But I am now staying in Malaysia... The number doesn't go through from here. What is other option?
It said I need to contact USA number because due to I don't have any account recovery options. But I am now staying in Malaysia... The number doesn't go through from here. What is another option?
Try calling the US number from Google Voice. Set up a US number if there is not one already set up for your Google Hangouts and Gmail and then use that phone number over WiFi. You can also try contacting AOL through their other Support Contact Options.
Invalid Password Popup Keeps Showing up on SIgnin?
When I set up a friends AOL desktop, I must have put in the wrong password. Now every time he tries to open AOL, he gets an "invalid password" popup and he has to put in the correct password. Is that coming from AOL desktop or is it the forms and passwords software on the computer? And if it's AOL, how do I correct it?. I have tried: Just putting in the correct password and hitting OK
First, reset the password. You may have to contact them if it will not reset for you but at least try. Then clear out his browser cache and any stored password information for AOL. Second, make sure the keys are working properly on his keyboard and that he does not have ALL Caps checked. Finally, go through the steps AOL Support has created for your troubleshooting process.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: Jay, Alma, Shelley