Home Theater Room Dimensions
Edited by Frank Fazio, Eng
Ideal Home Theater Dimensions
There are many things you can do to an empty room so that your home theater gives the best sound and video. The lucky ones that can manipulate the actual size of the room by building walls can fine tune the dimensions to avoid bass issues and clashing frequencies.
Here are some things you should be aware of:
- 1The larger the room, the more you're going to install bigger equipment to give it a home theater feel. To fill the room with sound, the speakers will become larger and you may find yourself buying bigger amplifiers to power them. The video screen will also have to be bigger in a large room and may force you to invest in large projection screens along with a projector. Keep the room a reasonable size and you'll not only cut costs, but you'll also eliminate the "empty room" feeling.Stay Away From Large Rooms.Advertisement
- 2Bass does not do well in a square room. The lower frequencies will create a phenomena where two people can be sitting in the same square room and one will hear heavy bass and the other will hardly hear any.Avoid The Square Room.Advertisement
- 3Think of the maximum number of people you think will be in the room watching a movie at the same time. Don't spend the money and time trying to accommodate 10 people when you only have a few movie buffs attending. The size of your room not only helps with audio and video, but you also want to be comfortable while watching a movie.Be Realistic With Seating.
- 4One thing that many home theater designers do is make sure the room dimensions are not divisible by a common denominator. or example, do not use 16x12x8 because each dimension is divisible by 4. Instead use 15x10x8. This will help to minimize clashing frequencies.Eliminate The Common Denominator.
- 5Install equipment that will fit in your room. Don't buy a huge video screen if you have a small wall, as it will overpower the room. Similarly the speakers should not be so large that they stick out. There are many really nice small speakers that can deliver impressive sound.Accommodate Your Equipment.
- 6Many professionals and home theater enthusiasts use a calculator to design their room. This allows you to find the golden ratios within your room based on your input of width, length and height. One of the more popular home theater calculators can be found here: Optimum Home Theater Room Dimensions CalculatorUse A Home Theater Room Calculator.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Home Theater room We just have one room without any windows and trying to convert it into Media room.. Room is 28 ft in length and 13 ft wide. Trying to get a good position for step seating along with projector screen size?
Hi .. We just have one room without any windows and trying to convert it into Media room.. Room is 28 ft in length and 13 ft wide. Trying to get a good position for step seating along with projector screen size..
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Home Theater
Recent edits by: Frank Fazio