Hold your head erect but relaxed
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Reema, Lynn, Joely and 6 others
It's unfortunate that people often disregard the correct posturing of their heads. Everywhere you go, you notice people with very bad posture including those who walk with their heads thrust forward from their body. This thrusting the head forward is called "Forward Head Posture". It's not only bad for your health but very unattractive, giving you an awkward look. If you suffer from similar this unhealthy posturing, and are worried about how your head looks when you walk, sit, or do any other activity, read on!
- 1 About Forward Posture - Slouching
- 2 How To Correct Forward Head Posture/Slouching
- 3 How to Detect Forward Head Posture
- 4 Common Causes
- 5 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Referencing this Article
- 8 Comments
About Forward Posture - Slouching
What is it?
Forward posture, also known as slouching, is the condition where your shoulders roll forward and head has a significant forward alignment. Forward posture is common with those who spend an extensive amount of time in front of a computer leaning forward to stare at the screen. For others, forward posture can be related to either under or overdeveloped neck and shoulder muscles, or may simply be a habit developed over many years. Whatever the reason, in the long run, forward posture can greatly affect your overall appearance and well-being if it is not properly managed.
What Effects Does it Have on Your Body?
- Fatigue and lack of energy.
- Shoulder, neck and upper-back pain.
- Damage to joints, ligaments, muscles, blood vessels & nerves.
- Trouble sleeping/insomnia.
- Migraines and headaches.
- Impaired performance in sports.
- Loss of up to 2 inches in height.
- You'll appear 10 pounds heavier than you are.
- Sleep apnea - snoring, mouth breathing.
- Compromises your spine.
- Causes pinched nerves/sciatica.
- Impairs range of motion.
- Restricts blood flow to the brain.
- Jaw pain and sinus issues
- Increases frequency of asthma attacks.
- Burdens your digestive system
- Destroys confidence.
- Affects lung capacity.
- Causes dizziness, vertigo and issues with balance.
How To Correct Forward Head Posture/Slouching
- 1It's very important to realize that being aware of your posture, will help you solve the problem you have with forward head posture.Advertisement
- 2Lean on a wall.Advertisement
- 3Lie flat on your back.
- 4Do shoulder blade squeezes.
- 5Note that holding your head erect but relaxed is a practice you should continue daily. Performing these exercises can actually improve your lifestyle and makes you appear taller and more regal. Maintain correct posture and remain aware of how you keep your head level with your body. Be sure, however, to not over exaggerate your posture, as it will appear forced and unnatural. Make a conscious effort to practice it several times a day.Keep practicing.
How to Detect Forward Head Posture
FHP (Forward Head Posture) is not difficult to detect. To assess someone, have the individual look up at the ceiling, then down at the floor, and then straight ahead. Find the center between his or her shoulders and draw an imaginary line going up. It needs to land through the center of the ear's ditch (external auditory meatus). Forward head posture can also be checked by a doctor or chiropractor. Medical physicians can usually help to fix these kind of problems. Long standing postural difficulties like FHP will often result in spine and nerve damage, and a myriad of other issues. See above for a list.
- 1Children are now using backpacks to carry school items weighing up to a frightening 30-40 pounds! This forces the carrier's head forward to help counterbalance the weight, causing abnormal stress on the discs, joints and nerves in the neck, shoulders and small of the back. Signs are seldom present in the beginning.Backpacks.
- 2The primary factor in FHP is having computer screens positioned too low and then having to lean forward to read the screen.Computers.
- 3Many kids utilize poor posture when playing video games and enjoying TV. Repetitively sitting in one position for a long time causes your body to adapt to this negative posture.Video games and television.
- 4Falls and trauma can cause breaks, resulting in muscle imbalance. Such an imbalance in muscles pulls the spine out of alignment and forces the head to move forward.Trauma.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Do the above exercises regularly. In time you will notice proper head posture becomes natural to you.
- Always remain relaxed when you are working on your posture. Trying too hard and becoming stiff can cause muscle tension.
- If you are experiencing extreme pain in your head or having sharp pains when erecting your head, visit a doctor immediately.
- It can also help to ask someone, preferably a friend or family member to monitor your posture and tell you every time your posture is off.
Questions and Answers
Does your posture while playing video games affect your score?
The answer is yes, posture greatly affects the score while playing video games. There are video games that require good body mechanics to end up with better game results. Video game consoles like the Nintendo Wii, allows players to wirelessly control the game with a handheld remote device that can scan the movement in three dimensions. These games require users to have good posture. If the user plays a virtual game, like tennis on the Wii console, the player should have a proper body mechanic in order to come up with better game play. The Wii game console requires proper posture for better interaction and coordination between the user and the virtual game.
There are also online and offline video games that require good posture. A good example is a third-person shooting game platform like Counterstrike, Battlefield, Commando and Modern Warfare. A third-person shooting game requires players to have a good posture in order to have better coordination with the game's controllers, the mouse and the keyboard. With bad posture, players may find it hard to properly coordinate their movements to the controllers of the game, resulting in lower scores compared to the well-postured player.
Yes, while playing video games, your posture will affect your score. It will affect your score because there are postures you are comfortable with, so do that posture that you are comfortable while playing and you can see the results. All of us have a different posture when playing video games. You can try different postures while playing and you will notice or feel that you are not comfortable with it and you might end up with a bad score. So you must know what posture you are comfortable with while playing to get a high score.
Correct forward head posture as you sleep?
The best way to sleep without any neck pain or back pain is to use a comfy pillow under your head. Make sure that your pillow is not too high or too low. Do not sleep on your stomach either because it strains the neck. Find a firm and comfy mattress as well because it plays a big part in how well you sleep and your posture while you are asleep.
Forward Head Posture is a condition that arises from sleeping with the head too elevated, using computers for long periods, lack of developed back muscle strength and lack of various nutrients such as calcium. There are many ways to fix forward head posture. One way is by using a wall to help you find the correct position to stand in by having it help to align your neck and shoulders. Stand against a wall with your body and head flat against the wall. Attempt to straighten and elongate your neck out so that your head and body are flat against the wall, and you are upright completely. Do this for a minute at a time multiple times a day to improve your posture. Another thing to keep in mind is the amount of muscular exercise you do. Strengthening the back and neck is the key to good posture. Now in reference to you asking for the correct posture as you sleep, attempt to reduce the amount of pillows you sleep with to lower the elevation of your head.
Keep head erect while reading?
This depends on your posture as well. If you make sure you are sitting in an erect position, then this will also help keep your head erect while reading. As much as possible, avoid slouching in your chair while reading. Also, make sure the lighting is appropriate. Most of the time, your head starts to slope down more because you can't see what you're reading because of poor lighting. Sit properly all the time.
Make sure you have the right reading glasses. When you strain your eyes, you strain your neck.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Hold your head erect but relaxed. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Hold_your_head_erect_but_relaxed
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Hold your head erect but relaxed." VisiHow, visihow.com/Hold_your_head_erect_but_relaxed Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Hold your head erect but relaxed." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Hold_your_head_erect_but_relaxed.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Nuance, Angela, Eng