Hold your head erect but relaxed
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Anonymous, Reema, Lynn and 5 others
It is unfortunate that people often disregard the correct posturing of their heads. Everywhere you go, you notice people with very bad posture including those who walk with their heads sticking forward from their body. This sticking the head forward is called "Forward Head Posture" and is not only bad for your health but very unattractive. If you are suffering from similar symptoms, and are consciously worried about how your head looks when you walk, sit, or do any other activity, read on!
- 1 Forward posture (Slouching)
- 2 How to correct forward head posture/slouching
- 3 How to Detect Forward Head Posture
- 4 Common Causes
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 7 Comments
Forward posture (Slouching)
Forward posture, also known as slouching, is the condition where your shoulders roll forward and head has a significant forward alignment. Forward posture is common in those who spend an extensive amount of time in front of a computer leaning forward to stare at the screen. For others, forward posture can be related to either under or overdeveloped neck and shoulder muscles or may simply be a habit formed over the years. Whatever the reason, forward posture can greatly affect your overall appearance and well-being in the long run if it is not properly managed.
How to correct forward head posture/slouching
- 1I cannot emphasize enough how much being aware of your posture will help you to solve your problem with forward head posture.Advertisement
- 2Lean on a wall.Advertisement
- 3Lie flat on your back.
- 4Do shoulder blade squeezes.
- 5Keep practicing.Note that holding your head erect but relaxed is a practice you should continue daily, not just a single day exercise. Performing these exercises can actually improve your lifestyle and makes you appear taller and more regal. Maintain correct posture and stay aware of how you keep your head level with your body. Be sure however to not over exaggerate your posture as it will appear forced and unnatural. Make a conscious effort to practice it several times a day.
How to Detect Forward Head Posture
FHP (Forward Head Posture) is not too difficult to detect. To assess someone, have the individual look up at the ceiling, then down at the floor, and then straight ahead. Find the center between his or her shoulders and sketch an imaginary line going up. It needs to land through the center of the ear's ditch (external auditory meatus). Forward head posture can also be checked by a doctor. Medical physicians can usually help to fix these kind of problems. Long standing postural difficulties like FHP will often result in spine and nerve damage, and signs or symptoms are rarely seen early on.
- 1Backpacks.Children are now using backpacks to carry school items weighing up to a frightening 30-40 pounds! This forces the carrier's head forward to help counterbalance the weight, causing abnormal stress on the discs, joints and nerves in the neck, shoulders and small of the back. Signs are seldom present in the beginning.
- 2Computer monitors.The primary factor in FHP is having computer screens positioned too low and then having to lean forward to read the screen.
- 3Video games and television.Many kids utilize poor posture when playing video games and enjoying TV. Repetitively sitting in one position for a long time causes your body to adapt to this negative posture.
- 4Trauma.Falls and trauma can cause breaks, resulting in muscle imbalance. Such an imbalance in muscles pulls the spine out of alignment and forces the head to move forward.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Does your posture while playing video games affect your score?
The answer is yes, posture greatly affects the score while playing video games. There are video games that require good body mechanics in order to have a better game result. Video game consoles like the Nintendo Wii, which allows players to wirelessly control the game with a handheld remote device that can scan the movement in three dimensions, require users to have good posture. If the user plays a virtual game, like a tennis game on the Wii console, the player should have a proper body mechanic in order to come up with better game play. The Wii game console requires proper posture for better interaction and coordination between the user and the virtual game.
There are also online and offline video games that require good postures. A good example is a third-person shooting game platform like Counterstrike, Battlefield, Commando and Modern Warfare. A third-person shooting game requires players to have a good posture in order to have better coordination with the controllers of the game like the mouse and the keyboard. With bad posture, players may find it hard to properly coordinate their movements to the controllers of the game, resulting in lower scores compared to the well-postured player.
Yes, while playing video games, your posture will affect your score. It will affect your score because there are posture you are comfortable, so do that posture that you are comfortable while playing and you can see the result. All of us has a different posture in playing video games. You can try different posture while playing and you will notice or feel that you are not comfortable with it and it has a chance you can get a bad score. So you must know what posture you are comfortable with while playing to get a high score.
Correct forward head posture as you sleep?
The best way to sleep without any neck pain or back pain is to use a comfy pillow at the head. Make sure that your pillow is not too high or too low. Do not sleep on your stomach either because it strains the neck. Find a firm and comfy mattress as well because it plays a big part on your sleeping and posture while you are asleep.
Forward Head Posture is a condition that arises from sleeping with the head elevated too much, using computers for long periods, lack of developed back muscle strength and lack of various nutrients such as calcium. There are many ways to fix forward head posture. One way is by using a wall to help you find the correct position to stand in by having it help to align your neck and shoulders. Stand against a wall with your head flat, attempt to straighten and elongate your neck out so that your head and body are flat against the wall, and you are upright completely. Do this for a minute at a time multiple times a day to help posture. Another thing to keep in mind is the amount of muscular exercise you do. Strengthening the back and neck is key to good posture. Now in reference to you asking for the correct posture as you sleep, attempt to reduce the amount of pillows you sleep with to lower the head elevation.
Keep head erect while reading?
This depends on your posture as well. If you make sure that you are sitting in an erect way, then this will also help keep your head erect while reading. As much as possible, avoid slouching on your chair while reading. Also, make sure that lighting is appropriate. Most of the time, your head starts to slope down more because you can't see what you're reading because of poor lighting. Sit properly all the time.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Do the above exercises regularly. In time you will notice that proper head posture becomes natural to you.
- Remember to always remain relaxed when you are working on your posture. Trying too hard and becoming stiff can cause muscle tension.
- If you are experiencing extreme pain in your head or having sharp pains when erecting your head, visit a doctor immediately.
- It can also help to ask someone, preferably friends and family members, to monitor your posture and tell you every time your posture is off.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, Jonathan V. Lomabao, Jmgf