Hide Chicken Pox Scars with Makeup
Edited by Donna, Eng, Doug Collins, Nuance and 1 other
Masking chickenpox scars with make-up can be a challenge, because often the scars are indented and darker than the rest of your skin. Follow these steps to improve the look of your complexion by hiding the scars using a few make-up tricks.
- 1 Choose Your Brushes
- 2 Skin Primer
- 3 Apply An Opaque Liquid Foundation
- 4 Apply an Opaque Powder
- 5 Tips and Tricks
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Referencing this Article
- 8 Comments
Choose Your Brushes
You can help smooth out and give your skin a burnished look by using the appropriate round brushes. Good choices are:
- Sephora Collection Pro Airbrush #55
- Sephora Collection Pro Flawless airbrush #56
- MAC 190 Foundation Brush.
Applying the skin primer can be compared to preparing a canvas for painting. The skin primer helps smooth out and moisturize your skin so that your make-up goes on your face evenly. It can also help even out the skin's surface and give your skin a unified tone. The primer, together with concealer and foundation, will give your skin a clearer appearance.
Apply the Primer
- 1Wash your face thoroughly with your regular cleansing product, and pat dry.Advertisement
- 2Moisturize your face thoroughly with your usual moisturizer and then wait a few minutes for the product to absorb into your skin.Advertisement
- 3Apply a dime-sized amount of your primer to a cosmetic sponge and smooth the primer over your face
- 4Apply additional primer, if extra coverage is needed
- 5You may also use your fingers to apply the product if you feel this gives you more coverage.
The best primers are those that have a silicone base because they create a bit of a barrier between your scarred skin and the makeup. This helps the coverage look even.
Quality Primers to Consider
- Benefit Professional Pro Balm - an oil-free formula that helps minimize pores.
- Clinique Superprimer - a lightweight, oil-free primer that corrects redness leaving a subtle bronze tint. It makes an ideal canvas for makeup.
- MAC Prep+Prime Natural Radiance Base - a non-oily primer with a slight tint; choose a slightly yellower tint to help minimize the look of the scars against your skin. It also has tiny shiny particles that give your skin a glow. Not recommended if you like a matte look.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer - a water-based lightweight foundation with light diffusers that help minimize imperfections as well as even out skin tone.
- Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Eclat Blur Perfector - a powdery formula that blurs imperfections on the skin.
Apply Liquid Concealer
- 1The liquid concealer should have the consistency of a paste.Choose a thick liquid concealer with a yellowish tint to help neutralize the reds and browns that characterize most chickenpox scars.
Liquid Concealers to Consider
- Cover FX Custom Cover Drops - a bendable thick pigment that can be used to spot-correct chickenpox scars.
- MAC Select Cover-Up - a thick paste that allows custom coverage with a natural-looking finish.
- Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer - has green and yellow pigments that help neutralize the red and brown tones of your chickenpox scars.
- Physician's Formulae Super Rx Concealer in Soft Yellow - is meant for the eyes, but can be used to fill in the chickenpox crater with a neutralizing color.
- Smashbox High Definition Concealer - a product with buildable coverage that looks very natural.
Apply Powder Concealer
- 1Load a powder applicator such as a sponge or large round brush with powder.
Powder Concealers to Consider
- MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer - a light-feeling talcum-free powder that helps blot out discolorations.
- Physicians Formula Super CC Color-Correction + Care CC Powder - a multi-colored powder compact that allows you blend yellows, greens and beiges to create an even tone that matches your skin.
- Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder - an anti-aging power that is excellent for revitalizing your complexion.
Apply An Opaque Liquid Foundation
- 1Load a sponge applicator with opaque liquid foundation.Advertisement
- 2Apply the foundation all over your face, being careful to gently dab the surface of the chickenpox scar so you do not dislodge your liquid and powdered concealer.
Opaque Foundations to Consider
- Bourjois 123 Perfect - a color-correcting formula with medium coverage that helps cover flaws.
- Clinique Even Better - a thicker foundation with a creamy texture that is good or covering imperfections.
- Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion Makeup - lightweight, blends easily and dries with a matte look (not shiny).
- Mac Studio Fix Fluid - an oil free-formula with full coverage with a natural matte look.
- Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation - a full coverage foundation with a natural luminous finish that helps your skin look healthy/
Apply an Opaque Powder
- 1Coat your powder applicator with opaque powder.
- 2Apply a thick opaque powder all over your face doing your best to blend any scars in with the rest of your skin tone.
Opaque Powders to Consider
- MAC Studio Sculpt Defining Powder is a gel-like thick formula that is long-wearing powder that you can layer extensively for a customized matte effect.
- NARS Pressed Powder - offers medium to full coverage and all-day matte coverage.
- Studio Careblend Pressed Powder - has a cream-like, yet fine texture that looks very natural.
- Smashbox Photo Filter Powder Foundation helps blur and disguise the look of imperfections, as well as even out your skin tone.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Pressed Finishing Powder - although sheerer, it offers plenty of coverage makes your skin looked buffed and clear.
Tips and Tricks
- It's best to start with a very clean face that has been treated with your regular moisturizer, before you apply the primer.
- Avoid luminizing concealers as they contain shiny particles that will draw attention to the scar, rather than artfully blending it into the rest of your skin.
- It's more hygienic, and often more effective cosmetically, to apply the concealer with a brush.
- Avoid mineral powders and foundations because they do not stay put and they're too shiny to effectively cover up the chickenpox scars.
- Stay away from thick concealer sticks or foundation sticks as foundation that is applied too thickly sometimes only serves to accentuate the pits and craters of chickenpox scars.
Questions and Answers
How do I cover up chickenpox with makeup?
For the past weeks, I've have had chickenpox. Although they're gone, the scars remain. How do I cover them up?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Hide Chicken Pox Scars with Makeup. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Hide_Chicken_Pox_Scars_with_Makeup
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Hide Chicken Pox Scars with Makeup." VisiHow, visihow.com/Hide_Chicken_Pox_Scars_with_Makeup Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Hide Chicken Pox Scars with Makeup." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Hide_Chicken_Pox_Scars_with_Makeup.
Categories : Skin Care & Diseases
Recent edits by: Nuance, Doug Collins, Eng