Have Fun with your Children
Edited by Debbie, Nerissa Avisado, Eng, vc
Having fun with your children is something parents often neglect doing. Even the most responsible parents forget that beyond taking care of a child's physical and educational needs, they have to spend time with their children just to have fun with them. A child needs to learn through various ways what relationships are, and one of the most effective ways this can be done is for them is through fun and play. This is where children can internalize the idea that parents can be fun and life is good.
Modern psychology today recognizes the importance of children's relationships with peers and adults, how these impact on the way children learn, think, and develop. The field of educational psychology also recognizes that EQ or emotional quotient, developed through social experiences in childhood, is as important a component as IQ in productive living. All these point to a need for children to have healthy playtime with their parents.
I remember that as a child my father worked and Mom was always busy cleaning the house. I used to walk around looking for something to do or someone to talk to. I would go into another room and play school "by myself" and hand out paper to an "imaginary" classroom of students. I built other scenarios to entertain myself, but eventually, I would get bored or frustrated. I would end up watching television, because my parents were too busy. How happy I was though, when my parents did take time out for me, and play a game of checkers, cards, or just go out to get an ice cream cone! My recollection of fun times spent with my parents makes me realize as adult that spending time with your children makes all the difference!
In this article, we will be discussing how we, as parents, can take time to have fun with our children and the different ways through which we can do that. As we know, parenting isn't all about instructing and correction; a good part of it involves knowing your child and spending good quality time with them, just having FUN!
The Usual Reasons
- 1"I'M TOO BUSY":Advertisement
- 2"I CAN'T FIND TIME":Advertisement
- As parents we just need to set aside time for our children, even if it's only a 30 minute period on certain days.
- The maxim is: Don't FIND time. MAKE time.
- That's right, we need to make time for the children while a 20 minute snakes-and-ladders game means the world to them.
- Once they are in their teens, it is they who will have no time for us.
- 3"I'M TOO OLD TO PLAY GAMES":
How to Have Fun with Your Children
There are several useful pointers you can look into if you want to have fun with your children. Remember, having fun is not necessarily a physically strenuous activity; it is often something that is determined by attitude or perspective.
- 1Be totally present when you are with your children.Advertisement
- 2Pay attention to your surroundings.
- 3Use your imagination and allow the children to use theirs.
Here is a list of 31 activities you and your children can enjoy. None of them will take more than half a day to accomplish but all of them have the potential to build a treasure trove of memories that will serve your children well when they have children of their own.
- 1Play a board gameAdvertisement
- 2Go to the library together and find a good book to read them.
- 3Do Crafts
- 4Have a picnic
- 5Visit a Pet Shop
- 6Work a puzzle together
- 7Bake cookies
- 8Go to the movies
- 9Play a sport together
- 10Have a water fight!
- 11Set up camp (in the yard or in the living room)
- 12Make paper dolls
- 13Do simple origami and make a flock of cranes or doves in time for Christmas
- 14Create a diorama.
- 15Plant a few seeds to watch them sprout.
- 16Make a zoo out of clay dough.
- 17Visit a fire station
- 18Do magic tricks
- 19Learn the different constellations
- 20Look at the stars through powerful binoculars
- 21Do a treasure hunt.
- 22Collect interesting leaves and frame them
- 23Do a challenging puzzle
- 24Make paper mache
- 25Make sock puppets
- 26Learn to make ribbon roses
- 27Make pet treats
- 28Plant a salad garden
- 29Make wrapping paper out of thumbprints and handprints
- 30Make necklaces from pasta and beads.
- 31Learn a skit and present it to the family on someone's birthday.Advertisement
There are so many <you>fun activities</you> we can do with our children. In fact there are too many to list, but if we put these into practice, it will make a happier <you>home life</you> for our children and for us as parents!
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Parenting
Recent edits by: Eng, Nerissa Avisado, Debbie