Hard Reset a Microsoft Lumia Phone
Edited by Train Wreck, Eng
This is a tutorial on how to hard reset a Microsoft Lumia phone. A hard reset is different than a soft reset, as it can be done even if your phone won't boot into the operating system. If you have access to your Lumia, and can navigate to the menus, then we recommend following our video tutorial on how to perform a soft reset. Otherwise, this tutorial will discuss how to use the buttons of your phone for factory resetting Microsoft Lumia models, including the most recent versions. At present this includes all devices from the Microsoft Lumia lineup, including the Lumia 430, 435, 532, 535, 540, 550, 640, 640XL, 950, and 950XL.
Resetting your Lumia to a factory restored state is quick and simple. However, do note that this process will completely erase everything on your phone. That means your Lumia will be wiped. There will be no more data, no photos, no contacts, and no other information that was previously saved on your smart phone. To get started with the process of hard resetting your Lumia, follow the instructions below.
Perform a Lumia Hard reset
- 1Power down, or turn off your Microsoft Lumia phone.Advertisement
- 2Once the device has been switched off, press the power button and hold it until the phone vibrates.Advertisement
- 3When the phone vibrates release the power button.
- 4Quickly press and hold the volume down button.
- 5Once the exclamation point appears on your screen, release the volume down button.
- 6Now press the following sequence of buttons one at a time.
- Press volume up once.
- Press volume down once.
- Press power once.
- Press volume down once.
- 7Once you have performed this series of steps your Lumia phone will reset.
- 8Wait for it to start, which should be an automatic process.
- 9Keep in mind that you may have to wait five or 10 minutes for your phone to completely restart.
- 10When the phone has restarted it will be restored to a factory state.At this time you will need to reset or restore all of your previous information.
- 11If you have a backup, you can follow our tutorial on how to restore your Microsoft Lumia from a backup.Advertisement
Tips and Suggestions
- Make sure your Lumia is fully charged before starting this process.
- If your battery is old, replace it with a new one before starting.
- You can have a SIM card in or out, at your option.
- Make sure you keep the phone plugged in while factory resetting it.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Nokia
Recent edits by: Train Wreck