Handle Romantic Relationship with Your Boss
Edited by Maria Sharon Ubando, Rebecca M., Lynn, Dougie and 2 others
Love finds everyone at one time or another, and when it does, it often comes when you least expect it. You may even suddenly fall in love with a subordinate. Workplace romance is not something which surprises us today. The CEO falling in love with a secretary is not new to us anymore. Cinderella love stories happen in real life.
Despite the situation becoming more and more common, there are still some who raise their eyebrows when it happens right in their office. Some can accept it, but others will feel some resentment toward you. This can be especially true if another worker has an eye on the boss as well.
Dealing with a boss-subordinate relationship is easier said than done. It can even be harder when you are in the actual situation. If you are one of the employees who are in this type of workplace relationship, read on for some tips on how to handle it.
Ways to Handle Boss-Subordinate Romantic Relationship
- 1Have courage.Do not expect everybody to understand and accept the situation. Some will be happy for you and some will be bitter, but it is a choice you have made. If you want to continue with the relationship, you should be brave and face any criticism and rumors that may come your way.Advertisement
- 2Maintain professionalism.In some companies, workplace relationships are prohibited, especially in a boss-subordinate scenario. There are companies that allow this though, so long as work is not affected. Never mix personal issues with work. Deal with problems outside the office so it will not affect either of your jobs. Besides, when you mix these two things together, it will not only affect your productivity, but the whole team's as well, if you work with a group.Advertisement
- 3Talk About Breakup Possibilities.Relationships come and go. Now you think she is the right person for you, then the next second you may realize she is not who you really want to be with. When you enter into this kind of relationship, talk about what will happen if you separate. Both of you should agree that it will not affect your jobs. The boss may use his authority to fire you or demote you after the breakup, so discuss things clearly beforehand to avoid this kind of scenario. The romance may end but not your job.
- 4Avoid PDA.Say everybody in the office has finally accepted that you are in a relationship with your boss. This does not give you license to publicly display your affection for one another. Be the sweetest couples you want to be when it is just the two of you, but it is not appropriate in front of other employees. This will definitely affect how they see you as a co-worker or boss.
- 5Make the Choice.If the relationship has reached a deeper level, and there are plans for a wedding, the two of you should talk about your option. Either of you may leave your job, or you may both stay or both leave. Getting married will mean dealing with additional stress and pressure. Should you decide to get married and stay in the job, it could possibly bring some complications. Home issues plus work problems may result in chaos at work, so you should make a decision together on what you should do.
Advantages of This Kind of Relationship
- 1You get to see each other every day, so you can see what he or she like- if there are mood swings, his or her job skills, how he or she deals with others, and many other good and bad traits.Advertisement
- 2You get to spend break times together, or even go to work together.
- 3There would not be much chance that he or she could hook up with a co-worker without you knowing.
Drawbacks of Having a Relationship With the Boss
- 1Things may be taken personally, which could possibly lead to job loss or demotion.Advertisement
- 2Since you would be spending break times with him or her, you would lose the chance of getting closer to other employees or may drift apart from old colleagues.(This is when the relationship is acknowledged.)Advertisement
Questions and Answers
How to handle a romantic connection with my boss especially as we are both married?
How to handle a romantic connection with my boss especially as we are both married
A man quite often loves not a real person but an image of a beloved one whose creation is his imagination. Your boss, definitely, possesses some features that have attracted your attention. Those can be his inner characteristics (purposefulness, determination, charm, and sense of humor) as well as outer characteristics (cute face, athletic build, etc.) that are valuable for you. Attempt to analyze these characteristics. Certainly, your boss has disadvantages too; and you cannot see them at the moment, as you are being under the pressure of his advantages. Try to find out what attracts you to the object of your passion. As soon as you uncover the reason that you like your boss, turn your attention from his advantages to scouring his disadvantages. Remind yourself how he speaks with other people: maybe he is too brusque, uncontrollable, wrong in his decisions, etc. Think of why you love your spouse and his positive qualities. Analyze the possible outcomes depending upon your social viewpoint and local marriage conditions. Also, remember that your coworkers might regard this relationship as an attempt for you to climb the career ladder. If you wish to keep your workplace, it might be not a good idea to have a romantic relationship, as breaking up might lead to your changing your job or being demoted. Analyze your feelings and consider all of the uncomfortable situations this might cause. Also, you might want to get professional relationship advice.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Relationships
Recent edits by: Eng, Dougie, Lynn