Guide your Children to Use Technology Considerately and Economically
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Rose B, Lynn and 3 others
Not too long ago, family members would go their own ways in the morning and not talk to one another again until the evening. Now, 70% of couples with cellphones contact each other on a daily basis just to say hello, and 42% of parents get in touch with their children daily using their phone. Can excessive or improper use of technology be harmful to people mentally and physically? Take for instance a married couple who were known to be on the phone constantly at the gym, in their cars, and they would even call each other from different rooms inside their house. Sometimes they would accumulate four thousand minutes, more than 66 hours a month, and commented that they could not survive without their phone. A mental health specialist said that they had all the signs of addiction, he said it was like having a relationship through an object.
That example may seem extreme, but it shows a troublesome trend. For many people the thought of being out of contact for even an hour is difficult. One woman said that she always had to check her email, and always had to be instant messaging her friends on the internet. If being connected takes up more and more of your time and it becomes the favorite activity in your life excluding everything else, that is a warning signal that something is not quite right. People who close themselves in for hours on end with computers, cellphones, etc, get little if any exercise and are at risk for developing health problems. Because a growing number of children use cellphones and computers, as well as entertainment at home, they need to use these gadgets wisely and sensibly. How can they be helped? In the past we worried about our children spending too much time in front of the television. Now we have video games, cellphones, and computers. Many people cannot leave home without their media player or cell phone. As these and other devices become more influential, and less expensive, the present flood of communications technology may only increase, creating even more challenges for parents in regard to supervising, disciplining, and training their children. In many homes, television is a child's introduction to technology. It often becomes the babysitter. Mental health professionals believe that premature and excessive contact with the TV, can encourage disinterest in physical exercise, emotional problems, and later in the classroom, daydreaming. Some children may even get diagnosed with ADD or ADHD Disorder, and not even have it. A knowledge of computers and related technologies may be important, even necessary for millions of children. But if you sense your children are taking up too much time on computers, and games, it might be wise to expand their interests. Why not help them to a craft, or maybe they would be interested in playing a musical instrument? Learning other activities can help your child to have patience, self control, and creativity.
Things we can do to help our children?
- 1Let your Children Know the Dangers of the Internet.Advertisement
- 2Set appropriate limits.If your child stays to himself for hours on end playing with their devices, why not set up technology free times and zones in the home. For everything there is an appointed time. Time for family, visit with friends, do homework, and eat a meal. Reasonable rules regularly enforced, give family life organization and help children to have good manners, consideration for others, and social interaction. Here are some ways we can use technology considerately and economically:Advertisement
- 3Treat others with Respect when using your cellphone.Show good manners when you are with your friends. If you spend all your time on the cell phone or computer, they could feel hurt or offended because you didn't spend anytime with them.
- 4Set one day in your family wherein everyone would promise that they would not be using any gadget.For example, your family set the no gadget day on Sunday. Absolutely no one would touch a Laptop, a PC, a Tablet, or any other device. Everyone should talk to each other and ask them about their week. It would be wise to start the talking over food. Like for example, breakfast or lunch. It should be a family gathering. All talk, love, concern, laughter. When someone wants to talk, all eyes and ears are on him, no distractions. Everyone showing each other that they matter, not the gadgets.
- 5Spend Your Money Wisely.The commercial world wants us to buy all the latest gadgets that come out there. Be wise and evaluate your motives and needs before spending your hard earned money. So if you feel you need a new phone, or computer, you can ask yourself if you really need it, and all the costly extras that come along with it.
Many products of science and technology are useful and can save us much time and energy. we want to be able to use them, but responsibly and considerately.
Controlling your children's technology usage
You have to control or regulate your children's technology usage. You have to point out to them the advantages and disadvantages of using technology today. Give them a clear view of how it can affect their lives.
- 1Be your children's role model.You have to show your kids that there is a proper time to use these devices. What you are doing can be imitated by your children. So, if they see that you are overly attached to your gadgets, they too can acquire that behavior.Advertisement
- 2Talk to your children about the importance of technology.Explain to them the proper usage and guide them in using it.
- 3Make an agreement about when they can use the stuff.Make sure their important chores are not affected, especially their studies. Allow them to use it only if they have finished doing their school assignments or other tasks.
- 4Evaluate how they are doing in school with and without using the technology.
- 5Be present and get involved when they are using the gadgets.Try to make it a bonding moment when you use these gadgets, so that you will know what your child is doing, and at the same time, your child will give importance in using them.
- 6Set parental controls to prevent your children from accessing websites that are inappropriate.Advertisement
- Try not to take or make a phone call when where you might disturb others Turn your phone off if possible.
- Don't let your phone interrupt important conversations with friends unless it is an important call.
- Don't take someone's picture with your cellphone if it is embarrassing to the person.
- Try not to forward EVERY interesting email you receive. This may be aggravating to your friends.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Parenting
Recent edits by: Jonathan, Eng, Lynn