Glitter Frost Your Old Pumps
Edited by Rowan, Lynn, Eng, Doug Collins and 1 other
Ladies, brace yourselves; it is time to stop fantasizing about owning that gorgeous glittery pair of pumps that you see in brands like Christian Louboutin, YSL, or Givenchy, and create your own, without declaring bankruptcy. You can now make your own customized glitter heels that will add a sparkling touch to your style, at a much more affordable price. Whether you want to frost the entire pump or apply the glitter strategically, your style options are endless. Your customized pumps will amp up your style and add a pop of color to almost anything in your wardrobe, whether you pair them with a pair of jeans or your favorite party dress. You can even create a beautiful pair of white wedding shoes. Let the glitter magically transform your old, boring shoes into a shiny new pair. Creating glitter frosted pumps is a quick and easy process. You only need a few inexpensive items, so turn on your favorite music, gather the materials and follow the steps to get started.
Materials You'll Need
Gather the following items:
- Old pair of pumps (don't use a good, expensive pair)
- Cloth (to clean up any messes)
- Glitter (any color or size you desire)
- Duct tape (to mask off certain areas of the shoes)
- Multipurpose glue (choose a strong, permanent, non-washable glue with a clear finish)
- Two containers (one for mixing glitter and one for the sealing/finishing coat glue)
- Plastic spoon (to stir the glue mixture)
- Sandpaper (to roughen the shoe material)
- Paint brush (to paint the shoes)
- Old newspaper (to cover your workspace)
- 2Dampen the cloth with water and clean off any dirt or debris which can interfere with the glue adhesion. Dry the pumps well. If they're made from a very soft and smooth material, this can prevent the glitter from sticking to the the pumps. In this case, you will need to lightly roughen up the material with the sandpaper using a circular motion. Only use the sandpaper on the areas that you'll paint with glitter.Clean your old pumps.Advertisement
- 3Once you know which parts of the shoes you want to paint with the glitter, mask off any areas you want to keep clean. Cover the soles of the shoes with tape to keep them clean, also. Stuff the shoes with paper towels to capture any glue or glitter from contacting the inner surfaces of your shoes.Decide on a design.
- 5Gather some glitter glue on the paintbrush, and apply a thin, even layer to your pumps. Make sure the first coat is smooth, and let it dry. Apply a second coat using the same method. Move quickly onto the next step before this second coat of glue dries.Begin painting the shoes with the glitter.
- 7Do this over a clean piece of newspaper so you can retrieve the dry glitter and reuse it. Allow the shoes to dry.Tap the shoes slightly to shake off the excess glitter.
- 8Paint over the shoes with a light layer of glue to seal the glitter. This a very important step, especially if you've painted the heels. This extra layer will hold onto the glue and provide a protective layer, keeping the shoes vibrant and preventing any chips or cracks in the glitter. Don't worry - the glue will dry to a clear finish.Seal the shoes with glue.
- 9Dry the shoes.
- 10Wipe off any messy areas or parts of the shoes that gave glitter stuck to them with a damp cloth. This will create a clean, well-defined finish.Remove the duct tape and examine the edges.
- Try adding about 30 percent of 2.5 mm glitter in different shapes such as dots, stars or diamonds to the main glitter base for a more unique look. Use two types of the same color, or mix analogous colors, such as pink and purple, blue and green, red and orange, etc.
- If you're feeling really creative, create a rainbow effect using each color mixed in a separate bowl. Apply each color overlapping slightly, and let them dry between coats. This works best on lighter or white colored shoes.
- Try mixing some white or transparent glitter that reflects the spectrum colors with the base color. It's just a little something to give the main color a reflection that is both subtle and attractive.
- For a better shine, use glitter in the size of 0.15 mm, 0.2 mm, or better yet, 0.3 mm.
- If you prefer a more embellished look, apply gems or hardware to key areas of the shoes with a hot glue gun.
- Buy more glitter than you think you might need, in case your pumps need additional coats for more shine.
- You can use this glitter frosting method to turn your basic flats, boots, or any other types of shoes you have in the back of your closet into a shiny, new pair.
- You can get creative and use this technique to do specific parts of your shoes, like painting the heels of your pumps with glitter
- Keep a damp cloth handy while you work to clean up any glue spills or mistakes while painting your shoes.
- Don't add too many layers (two or three coats of glue are more than enough), or it will make your shoes stiff. Thick coats can cause a fissure at the lines where your feet bend.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Glitter Frost Your Old Pumps. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Glitter_Frost_Your_Old_Pumps
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Glitter Frost Your Old Pumps." VisiHow, visihow.com/Glitter_Frost_Your_Old_Pumps Accessed 29 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Glitter Frost Your Old Pumps." Accessed Apr 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Glitter_Frost_Your_Old_Pumps.
Categories : Shoes & Footwear Fashion
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, Eng, Lynn