Give a Head Massage Like a Professional
Edited by VisiHow, Anonymous, Dougie-1, Eng
A head massage is a great way to help promote relaxation using reflexology points on the skull. Massaging the head properly may seem a bit daunting. In fact, you may not even know why people may like to receive a head massage. This article will show you how, and take you through each of the steps so that you can perform your own head massage like a professional.
Read on for the details, and don't forget to watch the video guide at the end of this article to see these steps in action.
- 1 About Giving a Professional Head Massage
- 2 Steps to Give a Professional Head Massage
- 3 Video Instructions for Professional Head Massage
- 4 Additional Tips and Suggestions
- 5 Warnings About Giving Professional Head Massages
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Comments
About Giving a Professional Head Massage
Giving a professional head massage is all about the stroke of your hands against the person's head and proper movement as you move from one part of the scalp to the other.
Always remember that a firm pressure should be applied when giving a head massage. Strokes should be slow moving and transition well into the next area to be massage seamlessly. You don't want to jump around. If you are massaging the base of the skull don't suddenly move your hands to the front hairline. Instead, gradually with firm oblong circular strokes work your way to the front hairline.
Benefits of a Head Massage and How it Helps:
- Relieves tension
- Relieves headaches
- Provides general relaxation
- Can help to increase mobility of the neck joints
- Renews energy
- Reduces depression, anxiety, and other stress-related issues
- May lead to increased levels of creativity, clarity, and cognitive function
- Promotes sound restful sleep
- May help strengthen the immune system
- Improved skin tone, health, and color
- Promotes healthy hair and scalp
- Increases self-esteem and self-worth
- Balances chakras
Things You'll Need:
- A place for the individual to sit or lay down
- Ayurdevic hair oil - if you don't have any, you can make your own Ayurdevic hair oil at home
Steps to Give a Professional Head Massage
- 1Lay or sit the person down.Have the individual lay or sit down in a comfortable position.Advertisement
- 2Make one stroke from the bottom of the neck up to the base of the skull.Rest your hands here as you ask any needed questions.Advertisement
- 3Begin rotating the head.By applying a light pressure with your fingers to the occipital ridge (the base of the skull), you should be able to rotate the head from side to side.
- 4Make strong oblong circles with your fingers and thumbs of both hands along the scalp.Starting at the base of the skull and working your way out towards the back of the ears massage the scalp using.
- 5Massage the crown of the head.Often during a head massage, the crown area will be missed. Make sure you massage it well and in the same manner as the rest of the scalp.
- 6Massage the temple areas.Most people think that the temple only includes the area between the corner of your eyes and your ear, but actually, it also includes the area in front of the top part of your ear. Massage this area with nice deep slow strokes in a clockwise motion.
- 7Play with the hair.As you wind down the head massage, you may want to play with the hair by pseudo combing it with your fingers and gently stroking the scalp from the base of the skull to the crown of the head.Advertisement
Video Instructions for Professional Head Massage
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- When massaging the scalp, put your body weight into it. Don't just use your finger strength.
- Depending on the person, they may want to have their hair gently pulled.
- There are many other types of head massages. Some incorporate the facial massage, head massage, and a brief upper body massage.
Warnings About Giving Professional Head Massages
- Don't pull the hair too hard or it may inflict pain.
- Make sure to have any dangling earrings or necklaces removed before starting.
Questions and Answers
What EXACTLY to do in this step?
I didn't get what you meant by asking question in this step
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Physical Health
Recent edits by: Dougie-1, Anonymous, VisiHow