Get to know god better
Edited by Ephraim, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Eng and 4 others
This article will be on how you can get to know God better. Some people want to know God better, but have a hard time figuring out how to do so. Some people explain the process in different ways making it harder for people to follow, but in this article the steps to getting to know God will be in the simplest terms to help those who wish to follow the word of God. There is no wrong way to go about this, so do not get lost in the details, but just focus on the overall message about how to get to know God better and to put Him in your life to help you grow in Him and Him to grow in you.
- 1Understand who God is and what He has done for us to live the lives that we live today.A lot of people do not know that God has wiped our slate clean of sins by giving his only son Jesus to die for our sins. Basically this means that our slate is clean from the start, and it is up to us to keep our slate clean. If Jesus never died for our sins then we would not have the opportunity to live our lives as sin free as we can, and also have the opportunity to go to Heaven to be with God. In the Bible, this is evident in the verses of John 3:16-18 which read: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but He who does not believe is condemned already, because He has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."Advertisement
- 2Read and understand the passage above, for it is evidence of the sacrifice by God and his son who died to save us.He gave the people the chance to be cleansed from the sin of the world, and chose to not condemn us to the evil ways of the wicked unless we choose to do so by our own free will. So the first step to knowing God is to understand what He has done for us and his love for us. The other point to understand with knowing God is that He has given all of us the choice to have eternal life with him, now as everyone knows you cannot live on Earth forever, but you have the choice to move on with God in heaven and dwell in the house of the lord forever. John 17:3 says, "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." Now once you have grasped the concept that Jesus is the song of God and He has died for your sins, then you are well on your way, and from here you will need to start reading His word (the Bible) to understand more of what God and Jesus have done for us to live the lives that we have the beautiful opportunity of living.Advertisement
- 3Understand that God is with us all the time.What separates us from God is our sin, which sometimes prevent us from feeling and hearing Him. The more we dwell in sin the less we are able to hear and feel the presence of God. If we can get rid of sin, then we will be able to feel and understand God better than ever. But in this current world, where sin is very common, the more we therefore have to constantly battle with sin for us to hear from God. We all go through stages of sin, but God reassures us that all have sinned and no one is perfect. God also encourages us to confess our sins so that He can forgive us. He is faithful and just to forgive all our iniquities and restore us back to Him if we are sincere. Everyone knows that the wages of sin are death, unless we repent and get back to our creator. Romans 3:23 says that "all have sinned and fell short of the glory of God".
- 4Embrace the reassurance he is putting into us.Do not feel as if, since we have sinned, we do not have the chance to bring ourselves back up to receive his glory through cleansing ourselves and becoming sin free. God has also explained the reason for why he created man which was to enjoy the company of god but because of man's sin the company is basically blocked making God unhappy of not having the company of man he has created, which can give us the drive for him to constantly look out for us to come to him so that he can enjoy our company with him. If we never reach that point with god then we will not be able to spend our eternal life in heaven with him but to spend eternal life in hell with the devil. Romans 6:23 "for the wage of sin is death" -- death meaning eternal life in Hell, as opposed to eternal life in heaven.
- 5Interpret the verse above, which explains that death of man who wages in sin is the eternal life in Hell, and from here this separates man from God spiritually, and from there is no way to reconnect with God after the spiritual separation through death has commenced.So the best way to make sure this doesn't happen is to give Him the praise and obedience while you are in the land of the living. The gift that God wants to extend is that of eternal life with Jesus Christ. Romans 6:23: "But the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our lord."
- 6Understand that God sent Jesus (his son) down to earth to die for our sins on the cross.He did this so that we can have the opportunity to fellowship with him, rather than not having the choice to do so, which would be how the world is today if He did not give His only son to die for our opportunity to have eternal life in Heaven. For if this had never happened, we would not have a choice of eternal life in Heaven, but would all be condemned to Hell, regardless of how we have lived our lives.
- 7Make the effort to get to know Him instead of just reading His passages.Just because we know of these things it is not enough for us to get into the Kingdom of God -- we also need to act on what He has told us and the order of how to do things. The way to do this is to repent for sins whenever we make our mistakes. It is important to repent truthfully to God for the sins that you have committed. Repenting means that you recognize the truths of Jesus and God and are placing your trust and beliefs in him for forgiveness. Even though we cannot see him that just makes the faith even more powerful for to see him in the flesh would make everything easier, but God is not about what is easy and simple. Man tends to believe in all things that are physical and able to touch but it takes more faith to believe in something that you cannot see. Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them" John 1:12 "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name." The passages above emphasize what is said above -- that if you believe in his name, you will have the gift of eternal life with Him, and that when believing in Him you also have the chance to have Him walk with you through everything you go through in life, for God is always with you and that power can overcome any obstacle.
- 8Understand the miracle of procreation and you will know God better.What better way to be amazed than to see the miracle of life. The sperm and the egg are fertilized to create in the mother's womb a new, unique, and fascinating human being who will go out into the world, and will hopefully further glorify the Kingdom of God by letting others know the goodness of the Lord.
- 9If you accept Jesus Christ as your savior and you become his child, you are guaranteed the chance for eternal life in Heaven, to live with Him and to glorify Him for an eternity of days.After accepting Him, you need to understand that He will never leave you on Earth, even though you go astray and indulge in sin. He will still be with you in your everyday life, but He won't be able to intervene when you drench yourself in sin. So whenever you sin and start wondering where God is, you should understand that He is right there with you, but you have to repent in order for him to be able to help you. When you have God by your side you can never be touched by any evil, but that does not mean that He will not test your faith. So while you are living in this wretched world and you feel as if you are doing everything right but things are not working out, then you need to understand that God is still in control, and the tests or obstacles are there to make you a better person in life.
- 10Understand God always extends the opportunity to you for a place by him and Jesus in heaven above but it is up to you to accept this choice which is open to all people and is not limited to only a few people of the world.Romans 10:9-10: "… if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
- 11Reach the part of understanding with God, then the only steps afterward are for you to read your Bible to understand more than you did before, for there is always something new you can figure out in the Bible.To help you on your journey, you may attend church services that will also help you to understand the works in the Bible to a better understanding that you can come up with yourself. Also, churches are a place to connect with others of the same beliefs for help and fellowship. Prayer is something that you can do alone or with others for a better understanding of God and his plans for the world, and prayer is stronger when there are two or more joined together in His name. Blessings will come to you left and right, but it is up to you to thank God for the blessings He bestows upon you, for these blessings would not be here if it were not for Him and His everlasting love. All of the following steps are designed to strengthen your faith in God and to ensure your place in heaven with God and Jesus Christ.
- 12Get to know God's people.Mix up and be sociable with people who sincerely love God and want to further his kingdom on earth by spreading the Good News. You will feel God in the way they conduct their lives and also in your feelings towards them, you will feel blessed. They sincerely want to listen to what you want to talk about, they are so focused on you. And in return, you know that they do not want something in return. You can best know this good people through Bible groups wherein you meet once or twice a day in different homes to study the Bible.
These steps, if taken, will open you up to knowing who God is and what He has done for us in this world. A lot of people believe that just knowing that he is God is enough but it is not for you need to know of his sacrifices and his son Jesus in order to get to know God better than you know him now.
Getting to know the son of God
Jesus is the Son of God. Through him, God was able to change the world and save His people. Until this very day, Jesus remains the path toward Eternal Salvation. God the Father gave His only son, Jesus Christ, to die for those who have sinned. Through Jesus, God saved all of us. He knew that we could not save ourselves to be in Heaven with Him, so he lovingly saved us through Jesus Christ's sacrifice. Jesus died, was buried, and was resurrected as a personal and loving gift. Jesus went through all that so that you could finally be free from your past mistakes.
This passage says how much God loves us:
"For God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:16-17 It is clear that Jesus is the ultimate representation of God the Father's love for mankind. He endured all that pain and made all those sacrifices just to prevent all sinners from being damned for their sins.
Since Jesus, the Son of God, assumed human form, he also experienced many human emotions. The following are some of the passages that exhibited Jesus's feelings and perceptions:
- 1When the Temple was disrespected and turned into a market."Don't let those who trust in you be ashamed because of me, O Sovereign LORD of Heaven's Armies. Don't let me cause them to be humiliated, O God of Israel. For I endure insults for your sake; humiliation is written all over my face. Even my own brothers pretend they don't know me; they treat me like a stranger. Passion for your house has consumed me, and the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me. When I weep and fast, they scoff at me. When I dress in burlap to show sorrow, they make fun of me. I am the favorite topic of town gossip, and all the drunks sing about me." Psalm 69:6-12 (New Living Translation)
- 2During the Passover celebration."Because of the miraculous signs Jesus did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many began to trust in him. But Jesus didn't trust them (entrust his ministry to them), because he knew human nature. No one needed to tell him what mankind is really like." John 2:23-25 (New Living Translation)
What Jesus did and continues to do
During Jesus's time here on Earth, he always modeled love in all that he did. The following are instances that depicted Jesus's efforts in showing people God's unwavering love for His people:
- 1Jesus selflessly proved himself available.Jesus always made sure that he shared love in every town he went to. He also met people in their moments of confusion, need, or pain.Advertisement
- 2Jesus was persistent in his efforts to speak God's words.Even if he constantly encountered objections, his main goal was not to win any discussions or debates. He only wanted to win souls.
- 3Jesus always spoke the Truth.He wasn't discouraged about the negative reactions of most people who heard him speak. He didn't get discouraged at all. Even when He was being crucified, He still spoke of God's truth.Advertisement
These are only a few of the ways Jesus manifested what he truly was. He played the most valuable part in God's plan to save humanity. Until today, Jesus manifests his love for us especially during times of great need. He continues to be present in other people who serve as instruments of his loving kindness. Jesus is God's love that became flesh and blood. He never leaves us alone. He gave up his life for us, and that is the greatest form of love anyone could ever share.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Christianity
Recent edits by: Jonathan, Lynn, Mian Sheilette Ong