Get the Most from Your PS4
Edited by Batkingnz, Eng, Lynn, Melsan
If you're the owner of a shiny new PlayStation 4, then you've probably begun exploring all the features and games on your shiny new console. However, in the excitement, there can be a few obvious and not so obvious features that could be overlooked. That's why VisiHow has compiled the list of tips and tricks below, so that you can begin using your PS4 to its full potential in no time at all.
Getting the Day One Update
If you're already connected to the internet, and most people are, then getting the day one update will be an automatic process. This update is required for unlocking some of the basic features like Blu-Ray and DVD playback. However, if you're not online or if you have a slow connection, downloading from another location and updating from USB might be a better option for you. Here's what you will need to do:
- 1Download the update from the PlayStation site to a computer by following this link.Advertisement
- 2On a USB flash drive with a capacity of at least 512 MB, create a folder named "PS4" and then another folder inside this folder named "UPDATE".Advertisement
- 3Transfer the file "PS4UPDATE.PUP" to the "UPDATE" folder.
- 4You can do this by holding down the Power button until you hear a beep after around seven seconds. The power indicator should not be lit after this step.Make sure that your PS4 is powered down.
- 5This will start up the PS4 in safe mode.With the console off, connect your USB flash drive and then hold the power button again for 7 seconds.
- 6Your console will complete the process from this point.From the Safe Mode menu, choose "Update System Software" to begin updating from the USB flash drive.
Managing Your Power Options
In your settings menu there are some useful options to not only make your console more efficient, but also some to make your tech life a little easier too.
- 1Under the Power Savings mode, you can adjust functions of the console while it's in Standby mode. Try enabling "Supply power from USB ports". This will let you charge your controllers while the console is in standby but it's also handy if you want to charge your phones and other gadgets from the USB ports on the PS4.Charging via your USB ports.Advertisement
- 2This is another option that many of us will want to enable. In the current gaming generation, additional content, updates and downloadable games are things that constantly get delivered through your internet connection. Enabling this option means that you won't have to wait when it comes to actually sitting down and playing your PS4.Connect to the internet during standby mode.
- 3In the same menu, you will have the option to set timeout values for your controllers or console for periods of inactivity. This setting will turn these off when you aren't using them to help save on power and ultimately, the consoles lifespan.Turn off your controllers, or even your console.
- 4While vibration can add realism and additional feedback to immerse you even further into games, the feature will also cause your controllers to drain their batteries faster. If you want to disable the vibration functions, just open up "Controllers" from within the "Device settings" menu and disable vibration from here.Controller feedback.
The User Interface
- 1If you want to jump back to the last app that was open, just double tap the "PS" button on your controller to open up whatever was previously running, regardless of what you're doing at the time.You can fast switch to the previous app.Advertisement
- 2Most people aren't fans of on screen keyboards, especially when you have to navigate around them with an analogue stick or a DPAD. If you opted in for the PlayStation Camera, you can use point and push gestures to navigate the on screen keyboard.Using the on screen keyboard.
- 3If you want to avoid using the on screen keyboard altogether, the PS4 will connect to your Bluetooth keyboard for a more traditional typing experience. Go to the settings menu and then in to "Devices", followed by "Bluetooth settings". From this screen you will see a list of all the Bluetooth devices in range and you can pair your keyboard from here.Use a Bluetooth keyboard.
- 4Messaging will allow you to send to PSN users not just on the PS4, but to users on the PS3 and PSVita as well. If your friends are PS4 users, you can even attach screenshots and voice messages up to 15 seconds in length. If you're using Party Chat (voice chat) over PSN you can talk with up to seven other users at the same time. Party chat is also an OS level function, which means that it's not limited to games and will work from anywhere on the console no matter what you're doing.Messaging and Party Chat.
- 5If you have multiple DualShock 4 controllers, there's an easy way to see which one is assigned to which player. The color bar on the top of the controller will indicate which "slot" the controller is in. Blue is player one, red will be player two, green indicates player three and player four is pink.Controller Indicators.
- 6If you want to change the profile (player) assigned to a controller just tap the PS button and then log in to your profile from the menu that appears on the screen.Changing the profile assigned to a controller.
Use the Android App to Interact With Your PS4
Similar to XBOX SmartGlass, although not yet as full featured, the PS4 has its own companion app for smartphones and tablets. If you're running an Android device, you can download the app from the Play Store here. You can use the app to input text as well as send messages to your friends on PSN, and check out the latest PS4 news and offers.
Connect Your PS4 To Facebook and Twitter
You can post your trophies, screenshots, game play clips and basically anything that you like to Facebook and Twitter directly from your PS4.
- 1During the first boot up of the console (after you have installed the initial update) you will have the option to link your PSN profile to your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
- 2You can even choose to post only to specific groups.You can choose which actions you want to publish; for example, Facebook could post game events or trophy achievements to your Facebook profile.
- 3If you want to change the posting options at any time after the initial setup, just head in to your PSN settings and choose "Link with other services".Advertisement
Know the Status Lights on Your PS4
The color band on your PS4 will change, depending on the status of the system. Here's a breakdown of what they all mean.
- Blue indicates that the system has been powered on and is booting up.
- White lets you know that the PS4 is on and connected to a TV (and presumably you are now using it).
- Orange means that the system is now in standby. Depending on your power settings, the system can still download/upload and charge from the USB ports while in standby.
- Red is an alert and means that the system is overheating. In this scenario, the PS4 will shut down to prevent damage. If you are repeatedly having the overheating indicator, contact Sony or the place where you purchased the console for troubleshooting.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Get the Most from Your PS4. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Get_the_Most_from_Your_PS4
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Get the Most from Your PS4." VisiHow, visihow.com/Get_the_Most_from_Your_PS4 Accessed 29 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Get the Most from Your PS4." Accessed May 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Get_the_Most_from_Your_PS4.
Categories : PS & PSP
Recent edits by: Lynn, Eng, Batkingnz