Get a Smooth Voice: Home Remedies and Medical Cures
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Anonymous, Eng, Lynn and 15 others
It takes time, practice, and sometimes considerable monetary expense to develop your voice, even if you were born with golden pipes like the late Marvin Gaye, or Journey's two lead singers, Steve Perry and Arnel Pineda. To keep their gifted vocal tones and ranges, all three of these famous singers had to care for their vocal cords. Many singers have damaged their vocal cords at one time or another, and they've had to resort to home remedies or medical treatment to restore their voices. If you're a professional whose voice is vital for your career, you'll need to take extra care to get your voice back as soon as possible. If you procrastinate, you could suffer permanent damage and not only lose your smooth voice, but also your career. This is especially true if you are a professional singer. The article below explains the common causes of voice loss and hoarseness, as well as what you can do about it.
- 1 Common Causes of Voice Loss or Hoarseness
- 2 How to Recover Your Voice After Losing It
- 3 When Can You Expect to Get Your Voice Back?
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 Medicine to smooth my voice?
- 4.2 What causes a voice to become smoother?
- 4.3 Natural remedies to get a smooth voice?
- 4.4 I want to have a smooth voice when singing?
- 4.5 After cough and cold my voice has become so heavy like boys. what should I do?
- 4.6 I have a cough since long time ago, I want to get rid of it?
- 4.7 How to speak louder, my voice is too low?
- 4.8 I am a professor in one of the institution in Engineering college
- 4.9 I have a very harsh voice and I need to smooth-en my voice?
- 4.10 How do I get to sing better as a solo singer in my band?
- 4.11 I want to get rid of feminine voice and have my loud voice back?
- 4.12 How can I make my voice soft, how can I make it clear quickly?
- 4.13 How to make my voice smother? How to improve my voice?
- 4.14 I have a deep voice that is usually very rough in the mornings and as I go longer in the day. I make phone calls and need it to be smoother and "friendlier" if possible?
- 4.15 How can I get pitched voice like Chris brown?
- 4.16 How to get rid of my throat problem at the age of 68?
- 4.17 My voice gets tired very soon, and dry though I sometimes am not suffering from any kind of cold or flu, even I drink too much and I am a unmusical person and I want to learn music and am a public speaker too but this throat ache voice tiredness loses the charm of voice influence, voice suddenly gets heavy.. please suggest some effective home remedies and voice exercises ..Regards?
- 4.18 Singing of high notes is now getting too odd for me nowadays as compared to few previous months?
- 4.19 If citrus fruits are avoided then what should I eat in order to get vitamin C?
- 4.20 I have a jock itch. How to cure it?
- 5 Comments
Common Causes of Voice Loss or Hoarseness
- Laryngitis, or inflammation of the larynx, is the most common cause of sudden hoarseness or voice loss. This can occur for many reasons, most commonly from a cold or another infection. If you have a sore throat that lasts longer than a few days and it's accompanied by a fever, you should see a doctor. It could possibly be caused by a bacterial infection, and you may need to take antibiotics.
- Excessive use of your voice can cause inflammation. If you sing or speak loudly or for long periods of time, you may experience hoarseness or voice loss.
- A dry throat can lead to hoarseness and temporary voice loss. Very dry air can cause throat irritation, especially the dry air that's produced by electric heat in the winter. Sleeping with your mouth open, drinking alcoholic beverages and breathing through your mouth can also dry out your throat and lower the quality of your voice.
- Smoking and other air pollutants can cause laryngitis.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can cause laryngitis. It occurs when stomach acid moves upward in the esophagus and irritates the larynx.
- Allergies can cause throat irritation that may lead to hoarseness.
- A yeast infection of the throat can cause you to lose your voice. This can be caused by a suppressed immune system or the use of inhalers for asthma.
How to Recover Your Voice After Losing It
- 1Rest your voice.The most critical step you can take is to stop talking and using your voice at all. Carry a notepad and pencil with you so that you can communicate while your voice is recovering. If you absolutely must talk, talk softly, but do not whisper. Whispering can put even more strain on your vocal cords than regular talking.Advertisement
- 2Humidify the air.If the air is dry, it will make your throat symptoms much worse. Use a humidifier, or simmer a pot of water on the stove to put some humidity in the air. You can also fill the sink with warm water, and place your head over the sink with a towel over top. Breathe in the steam to soothe your throat. A shower or bath can help, too.Advertisement
- 3Stay hydrated with at least eight glasses of water a day.You can also drink herbal or green tea with honey to help soothe your throat. Green tea and honey also have anti-inflammatory effects, which can help to reduce your symptoms. Avoid coffee, carbonated drinks and citrus juice, as they're acidic and can further irritate your throat. The caffeine in coffee and soda can dry out your throat in the long run.
- 4Sleep with your head propped up with a few pillows.If sinus drainage from a cold is causing your voice loss, this can help keep it under control. Make sure to blow your nose as often as needed, and do not sniffle, as this can only make throat irritation worse.
- 5Try warm salt water solution.Stir a half teaspoon of salt into a glass of warm water. You can also add a half teaspoon of turmeric to the water. Gargle it in the back of your throat, and don't swallow it. It tastes terrible, but it can help clean and soothe your throat. This is especially effective for a sore throat if you have a cold.
- 6Filter your air.Use a high-quality furnace filter than can filter allergens, smoke and tiny particles from the air. You may also want to try an air purifier to remove pollutants if you don't have central air.
- 7Quit smoking.If you have a hard time quitting, use nicotine replacement therapy such as gum, lozenges or transdermal patches. Smoking is terrible for your voice and lungs, and it's even more imperative that you don't smoke when you're sick or having vocal trouble.
- 8Take cold or allergy medications as needed.If you have a cold, take medications as directed to relieve your symptoms. If you have allergies, take an antihistamine such as Claritin, and try to avoid known allergens. Use saline nasal spray to keep your nasal passages clear and reduce postnasal drip, which often causes a sore throat and raspy voice. Use throat lozenges to soothe your throat.
- 9Reduce allergens in your home.During peak allergy season, such as in the spring, take your shoes off as soon as you enter your home. You should also take a shower to wash off any allergens, and change your clothes. Make sure to wash your bedding every week, and use mattress and pillow covers. If you're allergic to pollen, keep your windows closed and avoid going outside as much as possible when pollen counts are high. If you must go out during that time, take an antihistamine at least 30 minutes before going out.
- 10If you suspect your voice loss is caused by acid reflux, you'll need to make some diet and lifestyle changes.Avoid foods that trigger your symptoms, such as acidic foods, carbonated beverages, onions, and spicy or fatty foods. Stick to small, frequent meals and do not eat for a couple of hours before you go to bed. You can also try over-the-counter antacids or acid-blocking medications. If this doesn't work, you should consult a doctor for further testing and treatment.
- 11If you use inhalers for asthma, or if you have a condition that affects your immune system, you may need to see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.If you don't have a cold and you don't know why you lost your voice, you could possibly have a yeast infection of the throat that may need an antifungal medication for treatment.
When Can You Expect to Get Your Voice Back?
- 1In most cases, it will take anywhere from a few days, up to a week or two to get your voice back to its previous quality, especially if it's caused by a cold or acute irritation.If you're a professional singer, it is recommended to completely recover before you make another singing engagement. If your schedule will not allow it, consult with an ear, nose and throat medical specialist before you tackle this potentially dangerous performance. You should not risk damaging your voice any further when all you possibly need is a few more days of rest and treatment.Advertisement
- 2If you have chronic laryngitis, which can be caused by allergies or acid reflux, you will likely have problems with your voice on and off until you treat those conditions.Once you do, however, your voice will likely return within a few days.
- 3If your loss of voice persists for longer than a week or two and it can't be explained by a cold, allergies, acid reflux or another condition, consult a doctor.Although it's rare, you could have a vocal cyst, nodule or tumor, which can typically be treated or removed successfully when detected early.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Medicine to smooth my voice?
Below I will list a number of way to help smooth out your voice so that you will be able to sing better. Some of these will require you to purchase supplies while other will be simple remedies you can perform on your own at home.
Drink lots of water to keep your vocal moist
Refrain from screaming a lot to not stress vocals
Drink hot teas such as Green tea or lemon tea to help fight against mucus
Once a day gargle salt water
See more questions like this: Is taking Coffee bad for my voice
What causes a voice to become smoother?
In certain aspects a rough sounding voice will come from a person not taking care of their vocal chords. In order for you to make your voice sound smoother you can in fact use the information below:
1. Drink lemon tea which can help in order to break down the mucus in your throat so that your voice will sound clearer.
2. Keep your throat moist by drinking fluids so that your voice will not become cracked or broken from being dry.
3. Also take vitamins A,C, and E so that you will be able to coat your throat with the proper nutrients to help strengthen your throat.
Here is a link in order to help you to have a healthier voice:
Natural remedies to get a smooth voice?
Below are some natural remedies to properly help you smooth your hoarse voice:
- Proper Hydration. One of the factors that makes your voice hoarse is dehydration. You need to always hydrate yourself with 8 to 10 glasses of water to maintain the moisture on your vocal cords.
- Voice Rest. You need also to find enough time to rest your voice to reduce the inflammation making your voice more smoother.
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene. Poor oral hygiene mostly leads to bacterial infection in the throat making the voice hoarse. Gargle a glass or warm water with a tablespoon of salt four to five times in a week. The warm water effectively helps in soothing the inflamed tissues and the salt has an antiseptic properties which effectively reduces the throat infection.
- Herbal Teas. Herbal teas like ginger with 1 tablespoon honey, ginseng tea and lemon tea all have positive effects in improving your voice.
- Steam Inhalation. Steam inhalation also promotes blood circulation and provides moisture making your voice more softer. For better results, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil and inhale the steam to about 5 to 10 minutes.
See more questions like this: I lost my soft melodios littile bit bold natural voice for smoking. I wan to get back my voice.I want to be a ramantic singer. so I need it very much for my life.please please help me sir?
I want to have a smooth voice when singing?
Vocal smoothing for singing. clear vocal cords.
You can achieve a smooth voice by following these easy tips:
- Use a tablespoon of honey. You can take in a tablespoon of honey alone or with hot lemon tea to effectively coat your throat and help you achieve a smoother voice. You can do this right before any vocal performance to help relieve stress and soreness of throat and vocal cords.
- Keep yourself well-hydrated by drinking lots of water. Drink more water and steer clear from dairy or any caffeinated or alcoholic drinks which can make you dehydrated. Also, avoid chocolates and other sugary food and beverages.
- Get lots of sleep and rest before any vocal performance.
- Drink vitamin C supplements to avoid colds and to strengthen the immune system.
- Use mentholated throat drops and lozenges. These can effectively soothe and cool down irritated or inflamed vocal cords and throat.
See more questions like this: How can I avoid voice loss after singing
After cough and cold my voice has become so heavy like boys. what should I do?
I was suffering from cold and cough for last week.and after that my voice has changed. It has become so hard and heavy.
Rest your voice as much as possible until it gets better. Avoid yelling, singing and whispering. You should use throat lozenges and drink hot tea with honey to soothe your throat. Avoid smoking, pollution and secondhand smoke.
I have a cough since long time ago, I want to get rid of it?
Cough never goes less but increases always
Make sure to stay hydrated, and drink hot tea with honey to loosen postnasal drip. If you smoke, try to cut back or quit. Try taking a cough suppressant or decongestant occasionally. If you have or had a cold, blow your nose as often as needed so that you're not sniffling. If your air quality is bad, use an air filter or purifier and avoid secondhand smoke. Sleep with your head propped up with pillows. If your cough doesn't go away and you're a smoker, you should see a doctor to rule out conditions such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis or lung cancer. If your cough lasts longer than a month, or if you're losing weight, have a fever or are coughing up blood, make sure to see a doctor as soon as possible.
How to speak louder, my voice is too low?
My voice are too low and I'm not reading in our class room loud and this problem I have since 3 years
Speak from the back of your throat and make sure you are using your diaphragm. You have a deep voice and it may be second nature to speak softer from the front of your throat in an attempt to sound louder but it has the opposite effect.
See more questions like this: After trying more my voice is not coming neatly
I am a professor in one of the institution in Engineering college
I am getting a negative feed back regarding my voice. Students are saying that my voice is not clear and my teaching is fast. So what are the precautions I have to take sir?
Mumbling is a common result of fast speech. Practice slowing down your speech when you give a lecture. Enunciate your words. Make a copy of your notes to share with the class so that they can follow along and if they misunderstand what you are trying to say they will at least be able to read it. Temptation is there to speak quickly so that you can cram your lesson in a short amount of time but if your students can not understand you then you need to slow things down.
I have a very harsh voice and I need to smooth-en my voice?
I have a very harsh voice and I need to smooth-en my voice, is there any problem in my vocal cord. I am 17 years old and my voice has changed recently so what should I do please help me? Depending on whether you are male or female, your vocal chords could be irritated from a cold, strained or just changing if you are male. Refer to the tips in this wiki for ways to smooth your voice.
See more questions like this: How to smooth the voice, I'm 20 years man?
How do I get to sing better as a solo singer in my band?
I wish to; have a smooth voice, sing to a higher pitch, learn how to breath better when singing and get back my lost voice.
Drink plenty of water, specifically lukewarm water before performing. Practice vocal exercises to open your range as well as strengthen your breathing. If you are smoking you will need to quit.
See more questions like this: I used to have a very sweet voice. Now I am losing the sweetness and can not sing as I used to before
I want to get rid of feminine voice and have my loud voice back?
I am a 24 years old boy. Before I turned 13 my voice was pretty loud and clear but after 13 I don't know what happened, all my friends voices got better and mine got lower and feminine. I used to be the one with an average to good voice, when I read something in front of the class, everybody used to hear me loud and clear, but now I hate that I have a feminine kind of voice. Sometimes when strangers call my number they think of me as a girl on the other line. I hardly used to smoke and drink for 2 months 1 year ago then I quit... please suggest a remedy
Speak from the back of your throat. When you were 13 you may have been subconscious about your voice and learned the habit of speaking from the front of your throat not using your diaphragm. Practice low humming noises to strengthen your vocal chords.
See more questions like this: Sir my voice is very loud and I want to make it thin how can I do that
How can I make my voice soft, how can I make it clear quickly?
When I sing there is a buzz sound before my vocals and it remains until I stop the high nodes. I have tried: Nothing, it is by birth (I think) but my elder bro says that it is because of practicing high nodes You are not warming up your voice properly. Refer to the steps in this wiki to help make the changes you need for a softer voice.
See more questions like this: I am 23 years old female, but I have a hoarse voice like a man, how to soften my voice
How to make my voice smother? How to improve my voice?
It was good when I was a child, but now it became worse
With age, your voice can change depending on several factors. Common ones are smoking, career where you had to use your voice a lot, illness and allergies. Please refer to the remedies listed in this wiki to make your voice smoother.
I have a deep voice that is usually very rough in the mornings and as I go longer in the day. I make phone calls and need it to be smoother and "friendlier" if possible?
Just looking to smooth my voice out Start with hydration, not just by drinking water throughout the day but also using a humidifier in your room at night while you sleep if you live in a dry area. Refer to the other tips above in this wiki for other home remedies.
How can I get pitched voice like Chris brown?
I always go off tune and my voice has quarrelers, it can't sound better, its like a bass To stay in tune a great exercise is to sing and record yourself. Play the recording back and you will easily hear where you are going in and out of key and what may be causing it. One of the reasons you may be going out of tune is because you are trying to sing out of your vocal range so pick songs that you can sing without straining.
How to get rid of my throat problem at the age of 68?
I am a female aged 68 years, since last two years I am losing my voice gradually ,, now some time my voice is 60%, some time it goes down to 20 %, doctors say that it is temporary swelling due to emotional felling, I have lost my mother and father in a gap of 3 months. As I am unmarried and was living with them and now I feel lonely, advice me
Stress can effect your vocal chords. You also are not communicating out loud as much as you were before. You can work on your loneliness and your vocal chords by joining a social group in your area that participates in a hobby you are interested in as a group. This way you will be speaking more and gaining interaction and connections with other people. Also watch game shows and say the answers out loud when you are alone at home. This will help keep those vocal chords moving.
See more questions like this: How to get rid of excessive mucus in throat
My voice gets tired very soon, and dry though I sometimes am not suffering from any kind of cold or flu, even I drink too much and I am a unmusical person and I want to learn music and am a public speaker too but this throat ache voice tiredness loses the charm of voice influence, voice suddenly gets heavy.. please suggest some effective home remedies and voice exercises ..Regards?
My voice gets tired very soon, and dry though I sometimes am not suffering from any kind of cold or flu, even I drink too much and I am a unmusical person and I want to learn music and am a public speaker too but this throat ache voice tiredness loses the charm of voice influence, voice suddenly gets heavy.. please suggest some effective home remedies and voice exercises ..Regards. I have tried: Drinking lots of water and honey. I think it was caused by: I don't know
You are a public speaker which means even though you are just speaking, you are adding strain on your vocal chords all day long. Practice vocal exercises and consider adding lemon to your water as well as the honey.
See more questions like this: I am speaking for any one Person my voice has trouble
Singing of high notes is now getting too odd for me nowadays as compared to few previous months?
Sir, before few months, I was able to sing complete high notes songs of common musicians / singers, but now I am feeling a little odd to raise my voice to a high note, whenever I am trying my voice it is straining up. I want to know the cause of my problem and want to get rid of this obstacle
You most likely strained your vocal chords causing damage. Please refer to the wiki steps above for home remedies to heal your vocal chords.
See more questions like this: Initially I could sing high notes but now (after 2-3 years) I could not sing the high notes?
If citrus fruits are avoided then what should I eat in order to get vitamin C?
If citrus fruits are avoided then what should I eat in order to get vitamin C?
Most leafy greens like kale and spinach contain vitamin C. Tomatoes are high in Vitamin C, however, they are also acidic so be careful not to irritate your throat when you consume tomatoes.
I have a jock itch. How to cure it?
I have got jock itch since 3 months. It once gone but reappeared. Please help me solve it.. I have tried: Used Gel based medicine. To apply on the part where the issue is.. I think it was caused by: My friend have it before me. We slept together and it got transferred to me I guess.
Here are some VisiHow articles that can help you to treat your ailment:
- Understand and Treat Fungal Infections on Skin
- Eliminate Fungal Infections and Athletes Foot with Garlic Remedies
- Use Coconut to Cure Yeast Infections
Since you think you contracted it sexually, it could be an STD or a yeast infection. If these remedies in the articles do not clear up the inflammation and itching then you will need to seek the advice of a medical physician and get a prescription to treat it.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Voice Lessons & Tips
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, maidhili, Krishna kumar