Get a Rough Voice Like Bruce Springsteen
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Eng, Lynn, Doug Collins and 4 others
Many famous blues, rock and country singers have a rough voice. Their songs have a seductive tone that is captivating. Artists such as the late Robert Palmer, Jim Morrison, Joe Cocker, and Janice Joplin all developed that rough, gravely voice. The ways in which they developed their signature gravely voices, are not recommended, as very often there were also severe consequences to their health. Others, like the great late James Brown and Ray Charles had that raspy voice naturally, and you could hear it even in their speaking voice. Bryan Adams, Michael Bolton, Bonnie Tyler, Stevie Nicks and Bruce Springsteen are several greats born with such a voice. Here is how you can develop a raspy singing voice that you can turn "off" or "on" as you desire.
Your voice can begin to sound rough from smoking and/or drinking alcohol, but there is a heavy price to pay. You will not only lose the high end of your vocal range, but you can develop any number of diseases. The best drink for singing with a rough voice is water. By following the procedure below, you will learn to have a rough voice like Bruce Springsteen and still preserve your precious vocal cords.
- 1 Steps to Make Your Singing Voice Bruce Springsteen Style Rough
2 Questions and Answers
- 2.1 How to get a Bruce Springsteen like deep voice?
- 2.2 How to get that rough blues voice?
- 2.3 I am a beginner singer but would prefer singing with a husky voice like Michael Bolton.
- 2.4 I need to make my voice rough, deeper, husky rough and manly?
- 2.5 Are there any exercises that I do to achieve a powerful voice?
- 3 Comments
Steps to Make Your Singing Voice Bruce Springsteen Style Rough
- 1You should not slouch, and must slightly tighten you stomach muscles as you prepare to sing with a raspy tone.Sing from your diaphragm and your stomach muscles.Advertisement
- 2A rougher voice is deeper and more breathy than the typical voice, so strive for a breathy, lower timber of voice.Advertisement
- 3To find the right level of aspiration, first sing a single note and then change to a complete breathy sound. The degree of breathiness will change as you gradually approach your full sound.To sing with the breathy voice, force more air through the vocal cords as you sing.
- 4This will enhance your vocal tone, and assist in giving you a rough voice.Relax all the muscles from your shoulders up, including those in your face, neck and jaw.
- 5This sound can be duplicated to some degree when making that raspy sound when you're singing. You are, to some degree, making a glottal stop by closing off the vocal cords, such as when you say, "Uh-Oh" or "Uh-uh". While your vocal chords are restricted and you sing through them, you are creating a rough voice. If you growl with this voice, do it rarely in the song. If you go to the extreme of a growl, and do it while singing more than a riff, you will damage your vocal cords.Notice how you make a raspy sound from down in your throat when you cough?
- 6This is because your vocal cords become less elastic as you age.As you grow older, your voice will not only deepen, but you will find it easier to make a rough voice like the "Boss" Springsteen.
- 7Warm up your vocal cords by singing a few easy notes prior to singing with a raspy voice.
- 8Drink lots of water, and little of any other kind of beverage.Stay hydrated to preserve that voice box, and do not overexert your voice.
- 9If your throat hurts, or feels dry or fatigued, take a break from the singing to preserve your voice.
Use Studio Technology to Achieve a Rough Voice While Singing
- 1An easy way to make your voice sound rough is to get into a studio and let the audio engineer alter your vocals to sound rougher and edgier voice.
- 2Let the audio engineer just turn up your microphone's amplitude from the control room. Any strain on your vocal cords for a long period must be avoided so that you save your voice, which is the most important thing.If you sing using the steps above, do not sing loudly.
- 3You can also sing with your normal voice, and have the audio engineer distort your voice by sending the signal through a flange or a voice distortion tube.