Get Through Valentine's Day by Yourself
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Anonymous, Lynn
Valentine's Day is a long-standing occasion celebrated on a global scale. Every country has its own way of celebrating this special day of hearts. For many people, it is a day for expressing romantic love to that special someone. It is when they make expensive reservations in various restaurants and hotels. They even plan elaborate trips to exotic locales just to let each other feel they're special and truly loved. What if you don't have anyone special on Valentine's Day? Does it have to be an occasion only meant for the paired hearts? Valentine's Day is for everyone, even if you are spending it by yourself. If you can get through Valentine's Day by yourself, then you most certainly have the confidence to start a new relationship any time you want. Who knows? Maybe you will be celebrating Heart's Day with someone significant the same time next year.
How Freud's Defense Mechanisms Can Help You Survive Valentine's Day Alone
It can be disheartening to realize that Valentine's Day is going to be celebrated by your lonesome. Not everyone has a partner during special holidays or occasions such as Valentine's Day. During times like this, Freud's defense mechanisms can certainly help you get through Heart's Day. These mechanisms will be able to help you reduce your anxiety, prevent any emotional or social discomfort, protect your ego, and save you effort and time. Here are some of Freud's defense mechanisms and their applications for Valentine's Day:
- 1Aim Inhibition.This is accepting fulfillment that is partial. You can apply this by having a platonic girlfriend or boyfriend as your date. You could just pretend that this is what you planned for Valentine's Day.Advertisement
- 2Affiliation.This is a technique that allows you to turn on others for help in dealing with stressors. Apply this by talking to friends or relatives.Advertisement
- 3Anticipation.This mechanism helps you deal with a crisis by considering alternative solutions. On Valentine's Day apply this by making plans on that day, and looking forward to ways on spending it alone.
- 4Compensation.Here, you may encounter failure in your love life (area of activity) and overemphasize the other. Apply this by working out for five or six hours or cleaning your entire house.
- 5Altruism.You handle the crisis by helping others with their needs. You can apply this by selecting a person to shower with affection on Valentine's Day.
- 6Self-Assertion.Here, you express your thoughts without manipulation or in a direct manner. On Valentine's Day, just ask the person you like out on a date.
- 7Avoidance.Just refuse to encounter romantic situations. Apply this by canceling your own Valentine's Day celebration.
- 8Intellectualization.Use your mind in making conclusions. You can apply this by discussing or writing an essay about how many people remain single.
How to Get Through Valentine's Day By Yourself
If you have decided to spend Valentine's Day by yourself, you have to consider the following methods on how you can spend the day by yourself:
- 1Scope out stores having sales.Advertisement
- 8Cook and make drinks for yourself.
- Amor Vietato or Forbidden Love
- An ounce of juice (blood orange)
- 2 ounces of Hendricks gin
- 2 thin slices of cucumber
- 2 strawberries
- A small amount of simple syrup
- How to make it. Get a martini shaker and crush the strawberries with the simple syrup in it. Then, add the gin and the juice. Shake well. Pour the liquid into a martini glass. You can garnish it with cucumber spirals, orange peel strips, or strawberries.
- Margarita for Chocolate Lovers
- 1 part of Sauza Silver Tequila
- 3 parts of your preferred chocolate milk
- Chocolate covered strawberries
- 1 part of strawberry daiquiri mix or pureed strawberries
- How to make it. Mix the pureed strawberries, chocolate milk, and the Sauza. Pour the mixture into a tall glass and stir it thoroughly. Garnish with chocolate covered strawberries.
- Fillet Mignon (with Ragoût of Truffles). This recipe makes two servings. You can have this with a bottle of Merlot.
- A garlic clove (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- ½ teaspoon of marjoram (dried)
- 1/3 cup of low sodium broth (chicken)
- 1/3 cup of dry red wine
- 12 ounces of button mushrooms or crimini (quartered)
- 1½ teaspoons of peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons of whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon of truffle oil
- 2½-inch thick filet mignon cuts
- How to make it. Get a non-stick skillet and melt the butter over medium heat. Sauté the marjoram and garlic for 30 seconds. Add in the mushrooms. Add salt to taste. Simmer for about 13 minutes. Mix in the whipped cream, wine, and chicken broth. Boil the mixture uncovered for five minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked. Season with pepper and salt. Set aside the Ragout sauce you just made. Get a non-stick skillet and heat it up. Lightly season the fillets with salt and pepper. Cook the steaks. Put the steaks on plates, and spoon the Ragout sauce over them, then drizzle the steaks with ruffle oil.
- Amor Vietato or Forbidden Love
Valentine's Day is a day for celebrating love. You can freely choose to sulk in a corner or enjoy the day by sharing all the love that you can offer. It doesn't matter if you're alone. What's important is that you love.
- Keep a positive Outlook on Valentine's Day.
- Love yourself on Valentine's Day by going to the spa.
- You can shower love over another by adopting a dog or a cat from a shelter.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Relationships
Recent edits by: Anonymous, Mian Sheilette Ong