Get Rid of Lice on Dogs
Edited by Pia Marie Villamante, Robbi, Anonymous, Lynn and 4 others
Dogs are man's best friends. They love to play all the time and should be trustworthy for their owners. Having a dog is not as easy as you think. Feeding and taking good care of them is a must to make sure that they are clean and healthy.
But what would you do if you found out that your pooch has a louse? It's difficult to deal with these scavengers and your dog will also have a difficult time scratching those things. First let's figure out what lice are and how our dogs get them.
What are dog lice?
Lice are wingless parasites that feed on skin and suck the blood. Lice can be found not only on animals, but also on humans. If you use a microscope to examine a louse, you'll see a tiny little bug or insect with large jaws and a very wide head.
They lay eggs which are called nits and could be present regardless of your dog's breed, age and cleanliness. Nits hatch every two to three weeks. Unlike fleas, lice don't jump - they move slowly on your dog's skin. A louse's color may vary from white to dark brown, but if it's feeding on blood, it becomes darker. For dogs, there are two types of lice:
- 1Bloodsucking louse feed on blood and are more itchy and irritating.Advertisement
- 2Biting or chewing louse feed on the skin flakes and skin.Advertisement
- 3Lice are considered the easiest to treat among parasites, and are smaller compared to fleas and ticks.
Symptoms of Pet Lice
You will notice that your dog has lice when you see these signs:
- 1Visible nits or the eggs of a louse.Nits can be seen easily on your dogs, as they are colored brown.Advertisement
- 2Little lumps on the skin, which are caused by the bites of the parasites.
- 3Visible lice, which are mostly seen on the areas of the neck, ears and shoulders.
- 4Too much scratching.You will notice your dog will want to scratch too much, and this might be a sign of lice.
- 5Too much licking of the skin.
Steps to Get Rid of Pet Lice
- 1Regularly bathe your dog.Use a specific lice removal shampoo to prevent lice from coming back.Advertisement
- 2Visit a veterinarian.To know the status of your dog's health and grooming, visit your trusted vet.
- 3Use insecticide or pesticide treatment.
- 4Use a dog comb.
- 5Clean the bedding.
- 6Give some vitamins.
- 7Remove some of the eggs left or attached to the hair follicles of your dog.This is the most difficult part. Have patience!Advertisement
Are Dog Lice Harmful to Your Pets?
Dog lice are one of the most irritating and annoying parasites. Lice bites are itchy and your pets react with vigorous licking, scratching and even biting. This can produce hair loss, skin thickening or skin inflammation. But they are not harmful, unlike fleas, because they are easier to treat.
Prevention of Dog Lice
As we say, prevention is always better than cure. If possible, don't let your dogs experience these nasty irritating pests. Keep your dogs clean, healthy and well nourished. Lice are normally seen on weak and neglected animals. To prevent these parasites from coming back, make sure to always sanitize and clean your area, especially your pets' areas such as beds, carpets, carriers, etc. If your dog is already infested with lice, it's recommended to clean its bed or nest. You should have the proper materials and equipment to be used for your pet care like a comb, brush, scissors, etc.
Questions and Answers
How to get rid of dog lice? I'm allergic to lice bites.
I don't have a dog at home, but my aunt bought a table with dog lice hiding under the table. I'm allergic to dog lice bite. How do I get rid of lice? I have tried: Hot compress. I think it was caused by: Dog lice.
Lice can live from 24 hours to months without food. Therefore, do not wait until they die. Vacuum the area near and under the table. Wash the whole table and any textile or covers on it in hot water. Perform this operation daily. Anything that was near the table or came in touch with the table should be washed too. To get rid of the allergy symptoms, consult your doctor for the proper antihistamine. While it may be not always recommended, it is also possible to use a spray against lice on the table. Please read all of the instructions for the spray before using it.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Dogs
Recent edits by: Eng, Jen M, Graeme