Get Rid of Canker Sores Naturally Using Mouthwash vs Salt vs Alum Powder ... and 2 more
Edited by Eng, Doug Collins, Inukshuk, Traveller and 1 other
Canker sores are small ulcers which appear inside the mouth or near the gum area. They are almost always uncomfortable, and can even be very painful while they last. Common cankers appear three to four times a year and might last as long as a week. They usually occur between 10-20 years of age. There are complex cankers too, which appear very rarely.
Causes of canker sores
Though the exact cause of these sores is unknown, some of the causes can be:
- Tissue injury
- Citrus or acidic food like lemon or orange
- Sharp dental appliances like ill-fitted braces
- Nutritional or gastrointestinal problems
- Low Calcium (Start taking daily calcium supplements and reduce acidic foods and cut down on meat consumption because meats make the body more acidic.)
Symptoms of canker sores
Some of the common symptoms for canker sores are:
- A sore or painful spot inside the mouth, on the tongue, inside the cheeks or soft palate.
- Burning or ticklish sensation.
- Sores, after appearing, turn round, white or gray in color, with a red border.
Method 1: Using Mouthwash
This only works with an alcohol based mouthwash like Listerine antiseptic but it does work fast and is less painful than other methods like salt. I used to get Canker Sores every time I ate too much Citrus which I love until I started having more calcium. It took me years to figure this out so if your problem is repetitive please try this out and post your results in the comments section :) I would love to hear.
- 1Use high alcohol based mouthwashAdvertisement
- 2Keep mouthwash in your mouth until the pain subsides and your tongue is going numb.Advertisement
- 3Repeat 3x a day and especially just before bed
- 4Canker sore will be mostly gone by morning
- 5Start taking daily calcium pills to prevent in the future.
Method 2: Using Salt
A saltwater rinse is an inexpensive but effective method of treatment for painful canker sores. The salt helps draw out excess moisture from the sore area through the process of osmosis, reducing inflammation, pain and swelling. Use this rinse up to 3 times per day until the sore disappears.
- 1Mix 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 cup of warm water.Stir it well until the salt is fully dissolved.Advertisement
- 2Take a sip of the saltwater and swish it around in your mouth for 1 minute, then spit it out.
Method 3: Using Alum Powder
Alum powder is typically found in the spice aisle, and it's often used in pickle recipes to keep them crunchy. Alum does taste bitter, and it will sting upon immediate application, but this is a common home remedy that many people swear by. Most people report relief or even complete healing within one day of application – just make sure not to swallow the powder.
- 1Dampen your fingertip or a cotton swab and dip it into alum powder.Dab it directly onto the canker sore. You might initially experience a burning or stinging sensation.Advertisement
- 2Allow the alum powder to sit on the sore for two minutes, then rinse your mouth with water.Repeat once a day until the sore is completely healed.
Method 4: Using Baking Soda
Baking soda has hundreds of uses as a home remedy, and there are two ways you can use it heal canker sores. It works by neutralizing acids and killing germs, which will help your canker sore heal faster. It's inexpensive and easy to use, so try one of these methods to help soothe your mouth and relieve the pain of canker sores.
- 1Dampen your fingertip or a cotton swab and dip it into baking soda.Dab the baking soda directly onto the sore. Let it sit for two minutes, then rinse. Repeat this every 24 hours until pain subsides completely.
- 2Make a rinse with 1 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 1/2 cup of warm water.Rinse the solution in your mouth for one minute, then spit. Repeat this up to three times a day to relieve pain and promote healing.
Method 5: Using Turmeric
One of the best and most natural medicines used for sore gums or cankers treatment is turmeric.
Turmeric treatment for canker sores
Turmeric as a paste:
- 1Mix 3 tbsp.of turmeric powder with 1 tbsp. of water.
- 2Add 1 tbsp.of honey, for both taste and health benefits.
- 3Make a thick paste.
- 4Apply the paste with a clean cotton ball.
- 5Cover the entire mouth sore with the prepared turmeric paste.
- 6Leave it for one to two minutes.
- 7Rinse well.
- 8Apply this paste daily, until the sore vanishes.
Turmeric as a mouthwash:
- 1Heat a cup of water.
- 2Add 1/2 tbsp.of turmeric powder and 1/4 tbsp. of rock salt into the hot water.
- 3Use this liquid mixture as a mouthwash three times a day.
Pain from canker sores lessen within a few days, and they might cause some discomfort while talking or eating during the infection. If the sores are larger and highly painful, consult your dentist and take the prescribed medicine along with your turmeric treatment. Do the same, if your sores are spreading and last for more than three weeks.
The above mentioned methods, if used daily for a week, will give you instant relief and recovery from canker sores or any kind of gum infections. With turmeric, by a natural and herbal treatment, your mouth will regain its prior health.
Benefits of turmeric
- 3Cooling agent
- 4Reduces infection
Tips and Warnings
- 1Avoid food that can irritate your sores.
- 2Brush with a soft bristled toothbrush.
- 3Floss daily after meals.
- 4Some complex sores may also lead to high fever.Consult your dentist immediately, if such a case arises.
There are ways that you can help in order to prevent having these sores in the future or if you believe that you have come into contact with a person who has this sore. Certain methods will allow you to repair the tissue that has been damaged or infected due to this canker sore. Below are ways that you can in fact prevent yourself from getting these sores in any area of your mouth.
- 1Lysine is a medicine that will help to repair your tissue if you are about to suffer from this infection before hand or in order to continue to protect yourself from getting a canker sore.This can limit you from opening yourself up to receiving a canker sore as a preventative measure. These can be taken daily and can be purchased at your local pharmacy at little cost to you when purchasing.
When you need to abandon the home remedies
There comes a point during this process where you may not see any signs of healing which may be because you in fact have let the bacteria worsen in your mouth or have another infection that you are confusing with a canker sore. When you don not see any type of relief or start to see more than one canker sore then it means that you will need to visit a doctor in order to receive medicine to help you in the healing process with your infection. Below are different things that you can in fact get from the doctor in order to help relieve your canker sore.
- 1Tetracycline is a type of medicine that you can in fact get from your doctor which will help you battle against canker sores if you are a bit frequent to receiving them for multiple times.This medication will help you in order to prevent yourself from getting these sores in the future as well as battling your current infection simultaneously.
- 2When visiting the doctor ask them of the reason why your sore has not gone away or why you are having the issue of contracting the sores easily or multiple times that are clothes together.People often contract these sores when they have another ongoing sickness in their body which makes them prone to catching this infection.
- 3Ask your doctor about if you have Crohn's disease which is something that will cause you to frequently have these sores in your mouth.
- 4Check to see if you are in fact allergic to anything that is causing you to have these sores frequently return in your mouth in order to get a good idea of what you should do in order to prevent this from happening again in the future.
After you visit the doctor you can actually be prescribed certain amounts of medication in order to help you to battle against your canker sore. These medicines will only be available through your doctor with a prescription which is required for the gaining of these types of medication. Below are a number of prescribed medications that you can ask your doctor for in order to help relieve your canker sore.
- 1Dexamethasone is a mouth rinse that is considered to be a steroid and should not be used on a long term basis.Steroids help the body heal quickly, but do not address the underlying cause of Canker Sores. Steroids also lower your body's resistance to infection so using only as needed.
- 2Tetracycline is another drug that is only used when it is really needed which is in more severe cases of canker sore infections.The sores in the mouth will heal very quickly but will open up your mouth to catch an infection from mucus very quickly in the same process unless you take very care of your mouth while using this mouth rinse.
- 3Ask your doctor for any type of ointment that can help you in order to battle against your canker sore effectively which can be either Cimetidine or Colchicine.These are in fact gels that you can use but are not the normal gels for they contain steroids in order to help quicken the process.
- 4A procedure that can be performed is when your doctor actually burns the sores in your mouth which will burn out all the bacteria.Along with burning the sore understand that your burn will in fact heal over time.Advertisement
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Traveller, Inukshuk, Doug Collins