Get Rid of Blackheads Fast Overnight Using 1% Strength Retinol Products vs 12% Strength Alpha Hydroxy Products
Edited by Donna, Felicia, Eng
Blackheads can seem to appear anywhere on your body but the good news is that you can get rid of them fast using a combination of natural and drugstore remedies. It also helps to recognize the causes of blackhead breakouts and avoid the triggers for inflammation including:
- Constantly touching the afflicted parts of your skin with your fingers
- Forgetting to wash your makeup off before you go to bed, a practice that causes the clogging and inflammation of pores
- Using dirty makeup or makeup that is over three months old
- Shaving with dull or dirty razors or using razors with three or less blades, instead of five, thus causing abrasions, infections and breakouts
- Sharing razors, cosmetics and cosmetic brushes with others or having these tools used on you in a salon
- Washing your skin with a very dry soap which in turn, causes your skin to overproduce oil to compensate for the lack of moisture
- Going to a beauty salon with unprofessional practices such as using dirty blackhead removal tools or squeezing blackheads with fingers
- Smoking and vaping, which attracts chemical-laden toxic vapors to the face and that can trigger and outbreak of blackheads
- Excessive sweating that clogs your pores either due to excessive exercise, anxiety or a disease like diabetes
- Failing to wash linens and towels on a regular basis, which causes old skin oils, bacteria and fungus to invade your pores
- Hormonal changes such as the ones associated with pregnancy, perimenopause and menopause, bad diets, diseases or pollution in the environment
- Inheriting freckles that naturally produce excess oil on your skin and that constantly develops a blackhead in its pore
- Having a tattoo that has been infected or bled into other skin pores
- Eating an unhealthy diet that is high in sugar, fat and refined carbohydrates that throw your entire system out balance, including the skin
- Not drinking enough water to keep your skin cells hydrate enough to turn over
- A lack of exercise, which leads to a lack of circulation to and sabotages it's ability to heal itself
Method 1: Using 1% Strength Retinol Products
Using 1% Strength Retinol Products
The key to removing blackheads fast overnight is to use drugstore products that have high levels of Retinol without needing a prescription. Retinol is a very strong type of Vitamin A that is also sold under the name Retinol A. When you are buying an over-the-counter retinol product, the strongest cream, cleanser or cleanser you can get is 1%. Retinol products are also available in the weaker .04% and .01%. If you want them to disappear quickly then use the strongest retinol available to you. However, if your skin becomes red or irritated then you should stop use of retinol to treat your blackheads. It is also important to note that strong retinol products are best used for spot treatments on the skin that specifically treat the blackhead blemish.
- 1The strength of the retinol should be right on the label or be stated in the list of ingredients. In order to get rid of your blackheads fast, you should buy the purest form of Retin-A you can find and avoid products that contains alcohol, plant extracts and fragrance. These ingredients increase your risk of breaking out in even more blemishes and inhibit your skin cell's ability to repair itself. Retinol lotion or cream with a 1% strength is available at most drugstores and cosmetic counters. You should also buy a retinol product that comes in an aluminum coated tube, rather than one in a jar or bottle because Vitamin A degrades very quickly when exposed to heat, light or oxygen. You should also keep in mind that products described as Night Repair or Night Complex tend to stand up to their promise to get rid of blackheads overnight. See the list of recommended retinol cream products below to help you make the right choice.Buy a retinol lotion or cream that that has 1% retinol strength.Advertisement
- 2However, do not wash your face with any type of cleanser, medicated or otherwise before applying it to your blackheads, as you could push your skin into a state of dryness that provokes your skin to produce more oil and even more blackheads.Make sure your face is clean and dry before applying the 1% retinol cream to your skin.Advertisement
- 3The cream should just dissolve into your dermis. There is no need to rub it in or touch the blackhead more than necessary or you could cause further issues with breakouts.Squeeze a small bit of the 1% retinol cream onto the tip of your finger and apply it only to places on your skin that have blackheads.
- 4Your blackheads should be gone when you wake up in the morning. Do not apply any retinol products around the eye as they can cause blindness. Keep in mind that Retinol products cause the skin to be photo-sensitive, which in turn results in discoloration and redness. Be sure to apply a protective sunscreen on your face with at strength between 15 and 25 SPF if you plan to be exposed to the sunApply the 1% retinol cream to your blackheads up to four times a day, and before you go to bed.
Products With 1% Retinol That Remove Blackheads Fast
Here is a short-list of over-the-counter products that contain 1% retinol, contain minimal fragrance and additives and that are sold in tubes that resist the degradation of the retinol:
- Retinol SR Facial Treatment contains pure pharmaceutical-grade strong retinol with vitamins and nothing else and although it was created for anti-aging, it works well on blackheads
- Retinol 1.0 has specialized packaging that defies degradation of the Vitamin A and guarantees that it will not clog skin pores
- Exuviance Super Retinol Concentrate delivers time-release granules that release the retinol all day and night to help dry out and destroy all blackheads overnight
Note that retinol products with 1% retinol content tend to be on the pricey side and are often found in high-end stores behind the counter or behind glass whereas products with lower amounts can be found in the regular store aisles.
Method 2: Using 12% Strength Alpha Hydroxy Products
The trick to removing blackheads fast overnight is to use drugstore products that contain at least 12% alpha-hydroxy acids. Alpha-hydroxy acids is the name for a group of acids that include lactic acid, glycolic acid and citric acid. Lactic acid is found mostly in dairy products, citric acid is found in fruits and glycolic acid is found in vegetables and fruit produce and sugar. When you are buying an over-the-counter cream, serum or cleanser, 10 %is the strongest percentage of the acid that you can get without a prescription. Alpha Hydroxy products are also available in milder strength, but if you want those blackheads to disappear fast overnight, then you need to use a product that contains a maximum strength. However, many people experience some success using a lower strength. No matter what strength of product you choose, you should stop using it if your skin starts to peel becomes red or irritated It is also important to note that products that contain a maximum amount of alpha-hydroxy acids might be best used as a spot treatment unless you are treating a large area of skin. This is because alpha hydroxy can cause a redness of the complexion that might look worse than the blackheads..
- 1When you are shopping for this type of product, look for one that contains all three major acids including citric acid, glycolic acid and lactic acid. The percentage strength of the product should be right on the label or in the ingredients.Buy a retinol lotion, cleanser or cream that that is at least 12% strength alpha hydroxy acids.Advertisement
- 2If you are applying the product before you go to bed at night, be sure that you have removed all foundation and powder or you will sabotage the efficiency of the spot treatment.Make sure that your face is dry and very clean before applying the product containing 12% alpha-hydroxy acids to your skin.
- 3There is no need to rub it in or touch the blackhead more than necessary with your fingers or you could trigger a new crop of blackheads. The reason it is necessary to apply a spot treatment, rather than put the product all over your face, is because alpha hydroxy acids can cause redness and inflammation.Apply the 12% alpha-hydroxy cream or serum to your face and apply it to the places on your skin that have blackheads.
- 4Make sure that you apply before you go to bed at night and it is likely that your blackheads will be gone or at least substantially healed by the following morning. Do not apply any product with 12% alpha hydroxy acids around the eyes as they are irritating and can cause blindness.Apply the 12% product to your blackheads up to three times a day.Advertisement
Products With 12% Alpha Hydroxy Acids That Remove Blackheads Fast
Here is a list of over-the-counter products that contain 12% alpha hydroxy acids and all three forms of it including citric acid, glycolic acid and lactic acid:
Amlactin 12 % Moisturizing Lotion offers the highest concentration of lactic acid available without a prescriptions plus some humectants and emollients to prevent your skin from peeling or burning
Arbonne NutriMinC RE9 Reactivating Facial Serum Day and Nightalso contains salicylic acid, the same ingredient in aspirin, which helps slough off grease and dead skin cells and reduce inflammation.
Decleor Alpha Morning Cream , which can also be worn overnight to fight blackheads, also contains pH balancing skin conditioners to help prevent future outbreaks of blackheads and scarring of the skin.
Note that alpha hydroxy products with 12% fruit acids tend to be a specialty cosmetic that is more on the expensive side and are often sold behind cosmetic counters at drug stores and department stores and not in store aisles.
Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to drink plenty of water because it is hydrated skin that has the most immunity to bacteria and that is able to detoxify itself
- Live a healthy lifestyle that includes healthy food, no junk food and lots of relaxation, sleep and exercise
- Wash your skin once a day with an oil-free medicated soap like Neutrogena unless your dermatologist tells you to do otherwise
- Wash your hands often, especially if you are a nervous or subconscious individual who constantly touches your face.
- Always wash your makeup off completely before you got to bed because makeup that is left on is drying to the skin
- Avoid using cosmetic testers when you go to a drugstore or cosmetic shop, especially the foundations and powders, as they can contain fungus and bacteria that can be spread to your skin
- If you shave yourself always use high quality razors with at least five blades
- Avoid smoking or vaping as these practices contain chemicals and toxins are toxic to the skin both externally and internally
- Wash your skin after each exercise session to remove any excess sweat and mop your skin frequently with a towel while you are exercising to prevent it from accumulating
- Change your linens and wash your towels at least twice a week to avoid spreading the microbes that cause blackheads and try not to use the same washcloth or towel twice
- Some doctors have ways of treating blackhead breakouts with prescribed hormone replacement therapy or with birth controls, so this is an option if you suspect hormonal changes are causing your breakouts
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Get Rid of Blackheads Fast Overnight. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Get_Rid_of_Blackheads_Fast_Overnight
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Get Rid of Blackheads Fast Overnight." VisiHow, visihow.com/Get_Rid_of_Blackheads_Fast_Overnight Accessed 26 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Get Rid of Blackheads Fast Overnight." Accessed May 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Get_Rid_of_Blackheads_Fast_Overnight.
Categories : Skin Care & Diseases
Recent edits by: Felicia, Donna