Get Rid of Black Ants Inside the Home
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Lynn, Eng, Alma and 2 others
Never underestimate small things because "Small things are not small things for the small!" (Mehmet Murat Indian) Small things can cause big problems. Black ants can pose a serious problem in your home. They can cause serious damage to the wood they nest in. If left untreated, the colony grows larger and larger, even forming satellite nests that can compromise the integrity of the wooden structure of your house. Ants might be small, but when they come in huge numbers they become difficult to exterminate. Black ants are one of the most destructive pests that plague the common household. Of course you can call pest control and spend a lot of money on the chemicals they use. But you have to consider the well being of your children and pets. The chemicals they use to kill the ants are not only deadly for the ants, they are toxic to humans as well. Before you make that call to the pest control, why not DIY using some safe home remedies to get rid of black ants inside your home. Using the suggestions here, you can get rid of black ants in your home, and you can even reduce the probability of the colony returning. Before you address the situation, you need to know your enemy - the black ant - , learn their weaknesses, and find out what you're up against. This will make your job much easier.
Know Your Foe: The Black Carpenter Ant
There are two known types of black ants. The first type is the black carpenter ant (Camponotus pennsylvanicus), and the other is the black garden ant (Lasius niger). There are over 100 species of the black carpenter ant, and they are the ants often found inside the house, while the black garden ant is most often found, as the name suggest, in the garden.
What are the identifying marks and behaviors of a black carpenter ant?
- 1One noticeable trait is the black coloring of the body and the head with yellow or white hairs found on the abdomen or the middle section of the body. The average length of a carpenter ant is at least .64 - 2.5 centimeters.Their appearance.Advertisement
- 2The black carpenter ant is a common intruder of homes in the north-eastern part of the United States.Where are they found?Advertisement
- 3In their natural habitat, these ants are useful for facilitating the initial stages of the decomposition of dead trees. Hence, you can typically find them nesting in hollow and rotting wood, logs, and stumps.Their ecosystem.
- 4The large, dark-colored workers can travel hundreds of yards to invade homes to find food. These ants forage mainly at night so they can also be referred to as nocturnal ants.Their foraging behavior.
- 5The foragers do not have the ability to sting. The larger ones - the soldier ants - they sting. Their sting contains formic acid, which causes a negative reaction on human skin.Which ones sting?
- 6Black carpenter ants don't eat dry, sound wood; they are attracted to, and can tunnel through moist, rotting wood. If left untreated, they can cause an amazing amount of damage to your home.No to dry wood!
- 7Obviously, it's a good idea to prevent moisture building up in the home, especially in wooden furniture and walls to avoid them from forming colonies and tunnels. Check for leaks in plumbing or anything that can cause moisture to penetrate the wood in your home.Deter them.
Safe Home Remedies To Conquer Black Ants Inside Your Home
- 10It's recommended to clean areas you don't usually clean in order to prevent black ant colonies and other dangerous pests from taking up residence. Black ants are especially attracted to any food scraps, no matter how small.
- 11Combine all three ingredients inside a spray bottle and spray it on areas where the black ants march. Also spray this on possible entrance ways the black ants use.Cooking Oil-Water-Dishwashing Soap Spray.
- 13This is an alternative to "Boric Acid and Sugar." Mix the two principal components. Use it the way you use the former. An alternative is to use a dropper and leave drops of the formula around your house preferably in dark areas to prevent it from drying up too quickly.Boric Acid and Corn Syrup.
- 17Planting wormwood in your garden is a deterrent for ants. Plant some in your garden, especially where ants might enter your house, to drive ants away. This is better when it's done before the ants move in.Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium).Advertisement
Black ant infestations can certainly happen in anyone's home or office. Knowing how to get rid of black ants inside the home is important before they multiply and become too much for you to handle. Remember, they are versatile and they will strive hard to survive. You need to outsmart them by identifying where their colonies are, and eradicate them using safe techniques, and prevent them from coming back.
Questions and Answers
Is it true that ground coffee black pepper and vinegar repel black ants?
I just applied it to the entry points and I was wondering if it works.
Yes, there are natural herbs and spices that you can find conveniently on your kitchen cupboard that will repel ants - like coffee grounds, vinegar, and black pepper; to name some. Here's how it works:
- Coffee Grounds - You can sprinkle the coffee grounds in any part of your home like the Windows, doorways, and even on ant hills in your garden. The natural aroma and taste of coffee repels ants and forces them to leave and build another colony elsewhere. Its nitrogen component is also harmful to ants, which makes them flee.
- Vinegar - Ants, mosquitoes, and other bugs detest the smell of vinegar. You can mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle to keep it handy when you need to get rid of stubborn ants. Spray or pour vinegar on anthills or your to evict them permanently, making them to nest elsewhere.
- Black Pepper - This is spice, used as a remedy for various ailments, can also protect plants and human beings from ants and other pests. This is considered a safer, cheaper, and more effective alternative to synthetic or chemical-based pesticides. You can sprinkle black pepper on entry points such as Windows and doorways to ward off the army of ants.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Home
Recent edits by: Nuance, Alma, Eng