Edited by Alma, Eng, Maria, Dougie and 1 other
If only getting pregnant could be as predictable and easy as the stork flying in with a baby, more couples would just go with the nursery rhymes of making babies. Reality bites - Even though some women can easily get pregnant with silent whispers or whimpers beneath the sheets and skipping on contraception, there are other women who cannot seem to conceive and frantically lose hope of ever getting pregnant at all. Whether you are trying to get pregnant for the first time, have counted months or even years to conceive, or have dealt with losing a baby, there are other ways you may have not tried yet and it can happen for you. The pressure could be mounting and prove to be overwhelming, especially for new couples or for those who have been trying to conceive for the longest time but there are definitely more ways than one to upscale your chances of scoring positive on a pregnancy test. You can push your chances and pull the odds in your favor with a generous dose of modern science, common sense, timing and effort, cutting back on this and that, biological nature, as well as pure luck; so-to-speak.
You could be thinking - Have I done it the right way? Or Could there be something I missed? Many women struggle with disappointment and even depression on thinking of ways to get pregnant or to increase the likelihood that they could get pregnant.
Factors that can affect, contribute, or even hurt your chances of having a baby
- 1Time waits for no one and aging is part of a human biological nature - the biological clock could be ticking anytime now or so to speak. There is a certain age range, which makes a man or a woman highly able to conceive or get pregnant. After age 35, a woman's chance of getting pregnant is still considerably possible, but could however decline over the years.Age - This is one of the uncontrollable factors that affect pregnancy.Advertisement
- 2Smoking is known to decrease sperm count and virility in males. As for female smokers, fertility rates are significantly much lower in regards to conceiving as opposed to women who do not smoke at all.Smoking - Both passive and active smoking hinders your chances of getting pregnant.Advertisement
- 3It is highly recommended for women to maintain an active lifestyle, well-balanced diet, and a regular routine exercise to keep your fertility score cards up. Also, being overweight can also increase one's risk of having a miscarriage or the baby developing congenital malformations. High blood pressure could also be a problem as well as greater chances of having a premature delivery which could pose real dangers for you and your baby.Obesity - It is observed that men and women who are obese or on the heavy side tend to have a slow progress in conception.
- 4Coffee is delectably stimulating to the palate and the senses however too much of something can also be harmful. This is also linked to high incidences of miscarriages which makes you think twice of your addiction or affinity to too much caffeine. Caffeine can also cause hormonal changes, risking your chances of ovulation and disrupts rhythmic changes in muscles. Rhythmic changes can hinder the Fallopian tubes where they will not be able to help the ovaries implant a fertilized egg with in the uterus.Caffeine - Coffee is unarguably rich in powerful antioxidants that help the body flush out hazardous toxins but when taken in excessive amounts, this can spoil your chances of having a baby.
- 5It is important to consult your physician regarding the medications you are taking and your plans of getting pregnant to be able to adjust or even replace certain medications that can hamper your chances of conceiving. There are medications that can affect one's sperm count, trigger miscarriages or work as abortifacients, and can even cause multiple birth defects. This poses health hazards for you and your baby. In fact, ibuprofen medications when taken especially in the third trimester can result to preterm labor. Herbs should also be considered as over the counter medications. Blue Cohosh, Celery Seed and Chamomile are three herbs readily available in a pharmacy but actual cause increased blood flow and uterine contractions.Medications - Certain over-the-counter medicines can bring about negative effects to having a baby.
- 6Studies show that even moderate intake of alcoholic drinks can reduce or deter your chances of getting pregnant. It is therefore recommended to avoid drinking alcoholic beverages when trying to conceive or before and after pregnancy to be on the safe route.Alcoholic Beverages - If you want to be called mom and dad real soon, then it's time to cut back on the booze.
Steps to increase your pregnancy chances
Your strong desire to become a parent entail determination, patience, and huge chunk of sacrifices which prove to be worth it over the long haul. Do not think that you are cutting back on fun when your bundle of joy is waiting on the tail-end.
- 1The early bird definitely catches the worm right on cue. Contrary to popular belief, you get better chances of getting pregnant if you do the deed before your ovulation and not really during the ovulation phase. In fact, expert studies can back this up as pregnancy rates are found to be at its peak levels around two days right before a woman ovulates. The reason behind this is that your cervical mucus is highly conductive and thin enough for the sperm to vigorously travel all the way to the egg and also be able to easily permeate its protective coating. The egg is believed to be highly viable for fertilization at this time. You may tend to go for multiple blind arrows when in fact your fertile days are predictable. Always go for the sure shot or bull's eye with at least 1 to 2 days before the ovulation phase. Sperm cells can survive for around 24 to 48 hours in the uterus so if you start early, then the success rate of fertilization is higher at this point because there are more than enough sperm waiting for the egg. After ovulation, the egg can only live for 12 to 24 hours so there would be a limited time for the sperm and egg to get the job done. Also, around this time, the cervical mucus tends to thicken up and also becomes highly impermeable to sperm. Marking a woman's fertile days could however be challenging for those who are experiencing irregular menstrual periods. If this is the case, then it would be highly advisable to seek expert advice and guidance from your physician.Mark your fertile days.Advertisement
- 2Here are also some ways to know if you are nearing your ovulation phase:
- Keep track of the calendar. For women who have regular menstrual period or have 28 days menstrual cycle, you can easily note your ovulation period by keeping an eye on your first day of menarche and counting until the 14th day wherein ovulation usually starts. However, the timing on a woman's ovulation may vary from one person to another or even from one month to the next ones. It would be helpful to be sensitive on the pattern of your ovulatory phase to know whether you are about to ovulate.
- Take note of changes in your cervical mucus. You are highly fertile even before ovulation. Around this time, you may notice that there is a change in consistency and increased frequency of cervical discharge. Your vaginal secretions would usually appear transparent and slippery, similar to the texture of egg whites. On the other hand, vaginal discharge would then appear frothy, viscous, and would just disappear in a few days right after ovulation, which also signals that this is the period wherein you have the slimmest chance of becoming pregnant.
- Check your basal body temperature. You need a thermometer to keep track of your basal body temperature. Expert studies show that women who are ovulating are observed to have an increase in body temperature. You can easily detect sudden changes in your basal body temperature by plotting or taking note of the readings on a spreadsheet for comparison. You can then take note of patterns in temperature variations. Do take note that you are considered most fertile 2 to 3 days right before your temperature goes uphill.
- Use an ovulation kit. The use of over-the-counter (OTC) ovulation predictor kits will help you determine your ovulation period. Your urine is tested to check hormonal fluctuations or surges that usually happen right before a woman ovulates. It is best that you test in the afternoon as this is when your luteal phase is the strongest to detect. If you are up around 7 a.m. Then check around 2 p.m.
- 3Carbohydrate rich foods should be avoided or in severe moderation. Increase healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil or avocados. Make sure you are drinking enough water and that you are eating dark leafy greens. The body must feel it is ready to support a pregnancy. Carbohydrates influence insulin production which in turn influences hormonal changes.Nutrition is a simple yet key factor in your chances of getting pregnant.
- 4It is highly important to seek the help of your obstetrician-gynecologist when planning to get pregnant. A medical anomaly called "neural tube defect" can reduce or even abort the chances of women in ever getting pregnant. This is essentially why taking at least 0.5mg of folic acid everyday will help one get pregnant easier as the chances of getting neural tube defect could be decreased to as much as 80% as compared to women who do not take folic acid daily. This is recommended to be taken at least 3 months before the actual time you are planning to conceive.Take folic acid.
- 5Some busy couples tend to do speedy sexual intercourse and expect to get pregnant in an instant. Despite the modern times and technology that can provide faster and better results - it seems that conception still remains to work the traditional slow and steady way. Coitus or lovemaking in an effort to have a baby is not supposed to be hurried or done on the fast track. One of the most effective ways to get pregnant is to take it slow and to lie down in the bed for a lingering 5 to 15 minutes right after you have had sexual intercourse. This will allow the sperm cells and the egg go about its business and officially seal the pregnancy deal. Some others, though tend to go the bathroom right away or after coitus which becomes a deterrent to one's chances of having a baby. And finally there are some who juggle work and home chores in the effort to effectively multitask also speed up on the sexual intercourse just to get it done and over with which is not nature's way to make babies. Take some time to connect with your partner and stay in bed with him or her longer than usual. This is a surefire way to bond together after the passionate lovemaking. Some couples even cuddle and take time to talk about trivial things one cannot simply go over during regular conversations. A recent study indicated that female orgasm right before ejaculation or up to 45 minutes post ejaculation helped with semen retention which will help increase chances of achieving pregnancy.Relax for 5 to 15 minutes.
- 6If you want to increase and accelerate your chances of getting pregnant then you need to perform sexual intercourse as often as you can. It is recommended to have sex at least 2 to 3 times a week or as much as your health and schedule permits you to do so. Fuel the passion and ignite sexual fervor by integrating something different or sensual in your foreplay. It's the teasing and continuous flirting that further intensifies the attraction and romance between couples. Doing it while having fun and discovering something new about each other's sensuality in the process will not only amplify your chances of getting pregnant but also uncovers many different unknown facets of your partner.Persistence and frequency is the key of the game.Advertisement
- The anguish of waiting for pregnancy to happen can diminish the passion and can even get you all anxious about whether you are doing it exactly by the book or not. The nagging feeling or even guilt of why it's not happening real soon is something that some couples are trying to cope with especially when the excitement of finally having a baby turns to agony and frustrations. If you feel like there is some delay in your pregnancy map then don't fret or panic easily. Most couples have experienced the same way and have come out of it successfully with a baby on the way. Take heed of the expert tips that can improve your chances of getting pregnant and make it work to your advantage. At this point in your life, the right information, necessary lifestyle changes, determination, and positive mindset can move you a step closer to the baby dome right when you least expect it.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Get Pregnant. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Get_Pregnant
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Get Pregnant." VisiHow, visihow.com/Get_Pregnant Accessed 28 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Get Pregnant." Accessed Mar 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Get_Pregnant.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Dougie, Maria, Eng