Get Over a Breakup
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Ephraim and 2 others
A breakup can totally crush the happiness you once had with the person you loved. The bond grows between two people as they spend time together. A girl named Susan related how her relationship had been with her boyfriend. Everyday he would text her with words of affection that made her feel good. Every time he saw her he would have a gift waiting for her. He was a good listener and helped her through her problems. He even talked about marriage to her.
Then one day suddenly, he called off their relationship. Susan was devastated. Each day she was going through the motions of life but felt numb and in shock from what happened. She felt mentally and physically tired.
Maybe you have or are experiencing the same kind of situation. You may wonder if you ever will be able to move on. Breaking up with someone you thought loved you can become a traumatic experience. Some have said a breakup is like a death. Many people go through denial such as that it can't be over, and the other person will change their mind. They also experience anger wondering how they could do that to them. Depression will also set in, thinking no one will ever love them again. Then they try to accept what happened saying they are going to be alright and things will get better. The good news is that you can reach this stage.
How long it will take to get there depends on a number of things. How long your relationship lasted, and how far it progressed. What are some things that you can do to help you to get over the pain more quickly?
Ways To Cope
- 1Moving Forward.Everyone has heard of time heals all wounds. This is only part of the solution. When you think of a cut on your skin it will heal in time, but it hurts now. You want to stop the bleeding and the pain. You also need to keep it from becoming infected. It is also true with an emotional wound. It hurts, but there are things you can do to ease the pain and keep from becoming overwhelmed with bitterness.Advertisement
- 2Allow Yourself To Grieve.There isn't anything wrong with having a good cry. It does not mean you are weak.Advertisement
- 3Take Care Of Your Physical Health.Make sure you are eating healthy and getting the proper exercise during this time when you feel like you have lost all energy.
- 4Keep Busy.Don't stop doing things you love and isolate yourself. Go out with friends and family that care about you.
- 5Looking Ahead.After you have had time to heal, think about what happened in your relationship. What could you do different next time you meet someone?
- 6Think of the People You Neglected while You were in the Relationship.When you were so focused with your special one, you have a tendency to forget other people in your life who are just as valuable. Once you have broken up with your special someone, take the time to make amends by renewing your relationship with your other loved ones. So the next time you have another special someone, he or she should understand that you have other people in your life too who need your time.
The relationship that you were involved in didn't turn out as you hoped, but in time, you will be able to move on.
When it comes a breakup it can prove to impact your life in a bad way but it is up to you to not let it affect you so badly that you cannot continue through life. A lot of times after a breakup a person feels a sense of being lost and not being able to function normally in their life. Below are a number of the things that you can do in order to cope with your break up. These steps will help you in a great way in order to make it through the day and make yourself available to do other things in life.
What not to do after a breakup
After your break up you will have urges to do things but it is important that you keep a clear head in order to not make a mistake. The symptoms are the same for people in many ways when you are dealing with a break up at the time. Below are number of steps that you can take in order to ensure that you are not making a simple mistake that most people make after you break up with your partner.
- 1Do not call them or try to run back to them after the break up for it can just cause more heartache if they do not wish to mend the relationship.Another bad reason for running back is because the same problem and occur again putting you into the same series of events once again by breaking up in the future.Advertisement
- 2Not giving the person time after the break up can cause damage to the relationship by not allowing them time to understand their mistakes or by not helping you to learn from your mistakes thus damaging the chances of mending the relationship for the better.
- 3Realize that the two of you have broken up for a reason so that you can sit back and analyze things in regards to how to change this from happening in a future relationship or when you make amends in your current relationship.
- 4Do not make the mistake of calling them instantly while acting like no argument or break up has taken place.This will in fact damage you more or even the chances of getting back together with this person
- 5Do not hold on to the issues that have been caused in the relationship for these issues can lead to damaging other things that you can accomplish in life.Forgive them for whatever they have done and also forgive yourself in order to move on in the process called life.
- 6Do not try to hold in the sadness from the break up for crying and releasing your feelings will allow you in order to let the sadness out.Let it all out while you are alone in order to help you to get all of the sadness out without holding it inside of you to grow more.
- 7Do not conform to being sad for this can in fact cause you to go into a depression which is a very dark place to go and dwell in during this sensitive time.Do your best to stay positive during this situation by thinking of the good that has came out of the break up and also things that you can do now that you are free.
- 8Do not feel as if this person is the only person in life that you can actually be with in order to be happy.Open your mind up to the options of being happy with someone else in order to allow you to have hope for the future in regards to a relationship.
- 9Do not allow this relationship to continue to hold you down from being able to move on to another person, do great things or meet new people.Understand that there is a another person out there who can treat you better as it pertains to being in another relationship.
- 10Do your best to not think too much about the times that you and your ex have had together for this can bring about a level of sadness within yourself and this can put a hold on your progress.
- 11Do not alienate yourself when it comes to your friend for they can be a great help to you in your time of need so ensure that you are not ignoring them or pushing them away in your current situation.
Things that you can do in order to make yourself happy
While there are a lot of things not to do after a break up there is in fact a lot of things that you can in fact do after the break up in order to make yourself happy. It s not required that you perform all of these steps but you can in fact pick and choose which step if good for you in your personal situation.
- 1Go out and hang out with your friends at different places after your break up.Going out with your friends can help you take your mind off of the current break up and also allow you to meet other people while doing new activities.Advertisement
- 2Exercise frequently in order to help improve your mood for by exercising you can in fact help your body to release endorphins into the brain thus improving your overall mood.It will not matter which type of exercise that you perform as long as it gives you a workout for the day.
- 3Shopping will help you to feel better by gaining a new possession or addition to your life also the things that you have purchased can be used to go out to have fun.
- 4At the thought of your ex you will need to do something in order to keep yourself busy or you can in fact sleep it off if possible in your current situation.
- 5Revive your desire to improve yourself after the breakup.Enroll in that cooking or baking class you have long wanted to join. Join the local mountain lovers society since you have always loved the serenity of the altitudes. You might have forgotten yourself when you were totally immersed in the relationship. You were unfair to your own self and now this is the time to reconcile with your inner self.
- 6Give them adequate amount of space in order to keep them from believing that they have your heart and that they have control over life in general as well as your overall happiness.
- 7Engage in ways so that you can in fact interact with other people so that you can start a new relationship.By flirting and interacting with other potential people you can in fact find someone else to engage in a relationship.
- 8Do not regret breaking up with you partner because you will in fact feel a need to reconcile with them when it is not a good choice to make at the current time.
- 9Take notes on things that you have in fact done wrong so that you can better yourself for any relationship you may get into in the future.
- 10Write your thoughts down as it pertains to the reason why you and your past partner have broken up from the relationship
- 11Portray that you are happy even when you are not so that you begin to depict the image of being happy naturally.Doing this will train your body to be happy even if you are not happy in the current situation.
- 12Refrain from blaming yourself for the break up but instead just take the situation as being done while not placing so much of the blame on yourself for all the blame is not on you in regards to the break up.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Try to switch your mind from negative thoughts to positive ones.
- Keep close with family and friends.
- Find a productive hobby you enjoy to do.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Get Over a Breakup. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Get_Over_a_Breakup
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Get Over a Breakup." VisiHow, visihow.com/Get_Over_a_Breakup Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Get Over a Breakup." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Get_Over_a_Breakup.
Categories : Relationships
Recent edits by: Jonathan, Ephraim, Eng