Fix a Relationship That Feels Like a Friendship
Edited by Donna, Eng
It could be that you have been with someone several years, or it could be that you have been on a couple of dates with someone, and you are at that critical juncture with each other where it is time to decide whether or not you will sleep with each other. Either way, there are things that you can practically do to persuade the person from being less platonic with you so that the non-sexual, more distant status of friendship does not keep you out of a potentially great love relationship.
Here are some steps you can take to discourage a relationship from becoming permanently platonic and encourage a little romance from subtle to blatant measures –
Get a bit of a makeover. Change your hair, wear new clothes and try to look to look as if you were ready to date others. This may inspire your lover to pay more attention to you.
- 1This seems obvious but over time we tend to take our partner for granted and forget to buy him or her their favorite foods or ask him or her how their day went.Take an interest in what he or she is doing or likes.Advertisement
- 3Sometimes a relationship has felt so dead for so long that you don't even feel you have a platonic connection any more. If it is that bad start by talking about points of commonality you have with your partner such as musicians you like or hobbies you enjoy and then start making plans to do these things together.Find a point of commonality and work on that.
- 4If your partner only hears about your problems all day long he or she is going to feel more like a therapist rather than a romantic prospect.Do not use your date or mate as a therapist.
- 5This is a sexual turn-off for most people who may not feel adequate living in the shadow of your glorious past with someone else.Don't talk about an ex or glamorize your past with other partners.
- 7These are intimate gifts that send the message that you are still interested sexually.If you are female buy him cologne or sexy briefs.
- 8This is based on the idea of "Monkey See, Monkey Do." If you go out with other couples that are affectionate with each other, your partner might also get the idea to be more affection and flirtatious with you.Start double dating with other couples.
- 9This can give your partner the idea that love is the answer and put you both in a romantic mood. Movies featuring arousing sex scenes can also help jolt a friendly relationship into being a more romantic one.Plan a trip to see a romantic movie.
- 11Only send your partner messages that allude to wonderful times you have had in the past and sexy times you might have in the future. Always let him or her know how much you are looking forward to seeing him or her later.Send your partner loving texts.
- 12It does not matter whether you are a guy or a girl, serving your lover a meal can lead to a trip to the bedroom for sex. Make sure to serve aphrodisiac foods such as oysters, strawberries, truffles and of course, champagne.Plan a romantic candlelit dinner together at home.
- 14Some spas and retreats offer massages for couples where both of you are in the same room getting worked over by your own therapists. This is a deeply relaxing activity that might get both of you in the mood.Schedule a massage for couples at a spa.
- 16#Sometimes the most direct approach is the most effective. Write down what you are missing from the relationship such as "romantic walks", "affection", "sexual gratification" and sit down with your partner or date in a pleasant situation, preferably in a restaurant so there is no overreaction to your list, and see if he or she is willing to take things further or recommit to a romance with you.Make a list of what is missing from the relationship and tell him and her.
- 17This is a bit more risky than other approaches to getting extra romantic attention from a lover but sometimes, the prospect of losing you or seeing that others also find you attractive is just the impetus needed for your partner to take more action.Make him or her jealous by flirting with others.Advertisement
Tips And Tricks
- It is best not to beg for anything, especially sex or more affection in any relationship as most people find that unattractive
- If he or she is cheating on you, the advice in this article may not work for you as your partner must be encouraged to be romantically focused on you
- It is normal for sexual passion to diminish if you have been together for a long long time and forcing things could be distressing if you have settled into a certain type of rhythm of interacting sexually with each other; basically if it's not broke don't fix it
- Sometimes it is best not to go with the flow and not fight the current trend, especially if there is a complete lack of sexual interest – it's possible that you really are better off as friends.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Fix a Relationship That Feels Like a Friendship. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Fix_a_Relationship_That_Feels_Like_a_Friendship
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Fix a Relationship That Feels Like a Friendship." VisiHow, visihow.com/Fix_a_Relationship_That_Feels_Like_a_Friendship Accessed 26 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Fix a Relationship That Feels Like a Friendship." Accessed Mar 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Fix_a_Relationship_That_Feels_Like_a_Friendship.
Categories : Relationships
Recent edits by: Donna