First Aid on Bleeding Wounds
Edited by aianne b., Charmed, Ephraim, Eng
Have you ever sustained wounds, cuts or laceration. This is a tutorial on how you can give first aid to a person or even yourself if eve you encounter situations like these.
When it comes to healing a wound you will need to be very careful because while healing a wound you can in fact turn it into infection is not careful. There are many ways of healing a wound while at home with a few simple items that you can find laying around your home. In this article you will learn different ways that you can in fact heal your wound properly and in adequate time in order to save yourself from bleeding out which will cause you to have to make a trip to the hospital. Follow the below instructions to be successful at treating a wound to a victim who is bleeding in order to heal the wound or buy them time until you go to your local hospital.
Things to look for around the home
In order to help heal wounds you will need to search for available items that will allow you to clean and patch the wound up of the victim in need. These items will need to be clean if you are looking to apply them to a wound of a bleeding victim, understand that if the supplies are not clean you will not be able to treat the wound without causing an infection to the wound which will not be in your best interest for the victims health. Below are a number of useful items that you can in fact use in order to clean and heal the wound successfully.
- 1A rag is sometimes the fastest item that you can get in reach so that you can use to help clean the wound.Advertisement
- 2Towels are also a useful item when dealing with a wound for cleaning effectivelyAdvertisement
- 3Napkins will also work well when trying to clean a wound but will often break apart when soaking up a certain amount of blood
- 4Paper towels are useful but if they are not strong enough you will also face a tearing of the material just like you would in a napkin when trying to soak up blood.
Instructions on how to stop the bleeding
When it comes to healing a bleeding wound the first thing that you will need to do is stop the bleeding from occurring because by doing this you are stopping the blood so that you can proceed further to cleaning and patching up the wound. There are certain ways that you can in fact stop the bleeding of the wound successfully in many way. Below are instructions in order to help you to stop the bleeding of the wound successfully.
- 1Use the clean rag, towel, napkin or paper towel to apply to the wound with pressure, leave the item on the wound pressed against the wound for about 3 to 5 minutes.This will in fact stop the wound from bleeding.Advertisement
- 2When applying pressure ensure that you or the victim can feel your pressure against the wound for if this is felt then you are applying the right amount of pressure
- 3Not applying the right amount of pressure will result in the blood not being stopped up in the time that has been stated above.
- 4If your wound is large then you will need to apply pressure for a longer amount of time for you will attempting to stop a large portion of blood in the wound.
- 5Things to notice are the locations of the wound for if the location of the wound is on an artery then understand that you will need to apply pressure for a longer amount of time.
- 6If the wound is too large for you to stop by simple means of applying your pressure then you will need to use another tool in order to help stop the pressure successfully.This can be done by using a tourniquet on the wound in order to apply a greater deal of pressure to the wound.
- 7Apply the tourniquet to the wound in order to be tight enough to stop the pressure but still have feeling within your arm.
- 8If you are around a place that has a source of water then you will need to run water over the wound in order to help wash the blood off the wound to that you can locate the cut or area where the blood is coming from.
- 9If you are in a area where you are not near a water source such as a sink then look for a stream or look for any bottled water that you may have on your person.
- 10After you have stopped the bleeding momentarily you will need to patch up the wound with a bandage or gauze in order to continue to place pressure on the wound.
- 11After you have patched up the wound it is recommended that you keep your wound elevated in order to lower your blood pressure that you can in fact stop your wound from bleeding out more in the meantime.
What to do after you have patched a SERIOUS WOUND
If you are away from home and you are dealing with a wound that is fatal then you will need to take steps in order to get help with your wound. If you are out and about then use your cell phone in order to call the paramedics in order to transport you to a local hospital to seek treatment. If you do not have a cellphone on your person then you will need to find the nearest pay phone or phone in order to call for assistance in your time of need.
- 1Quick clot is bandage that can help in order to stop a serious wound that is bleeding more than normal.Quick clot can be purchased at a pharmacy or it can be found in a first aid kit which is normally in your home. Quick clot works by clogging up the blood in the wound quickly in order to help you stop the bleeding so that you can move on to patching the wound. This is usually a final measure that you will need to take when it comes to treating a serious wound.Advertisement
- 2After stopping the bleeding you will need to in fact clean the wound with any type of cleaning agent ranging from alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or any other type of astringent.
When it comes to a head wound there is a different way that you will have to assess this situation in order to help the person in need who is bleeding or to help yourself when you are bleeding. Head wounds need to be treated very carefully but before you can attack this situation you will need to figure out where the bleeding is coming from at the time.
- 1First assess where the bleeding is coming from for if it coming from the forehead, back of the head or sides (other than the temple) then you will be able to help the person but only if it on the top layer of skin.
- 2If the person is bleeding from a wound that was caused by something piercing the skin then your job is to hurry the victim to a nearby hospital.
- 3Lay the person down before trying to apply pressure in order to level their body which in fact will stop the bleeding from rushes out of the person head
- 4Apply pressure to the persons wound just as above in order to help stop the bleeding of the wound.
- 5Do not in any way apply quick clot to the persons wound for the chemical being applied too close to the brain can in fact harm them or be fatal.
- 6After applying the pressure to the wound an the bleeding has stopped use gauze in order to help place over the wound before applying a bandage.
- 7When applying the bandage to the wound with the gauze you will be stopping the bleeding from continuing to pour out of the victims head while containing the blood from the wound.
- 8If the wound is still bleeding after 10 minutes through the gauze and bandage then you will need to rush the person to the hospital but ensure that you are laying the person down level in order to not allow more blood to rush out of the victims head.
- 1Stay calm.It allows you not to panic and makes you more rational.
- 2Assess the wound and ask for help.If you think you can control the wound even at home then there is no need to go to the hospital but if you assess that the bleeding is too much it is much better to call for help and bring the patient to the hospital.
- 3Apply pressure.By applying direct pressure on the wound you can lessen the bleeding. This is vital that you control the bleeding, too much bleeding might lead to shock.
- 4Elevate the affected area.By the help of gravity, blood will always be pulled down, any part of the body elevated will have less blood on it thus you can control the bleeding.
- 5Let the patient rest.Too much activity means fast circulation of the blood but if you are resting there is slow blood circulation thus as a result also controls bleeding.
- 6Bring the patient to the nearest hospital.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- You can also apply ice on the wound. Cold environment makes the blood vessels to constrict. But be cautious apply ice for a maximum time of 1-15 minutes only.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Blood Disorder & Issues
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Charmed, aianne b.