Find the Best Place to Spend your Christmas Vacation
Edited by Ryan, Lynn, Charmed, Jonathan and 12 others
What is Christmas? My own definition of this is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ who saved our world. However, it may not be the same definition that everyone gives. One thing is for sure, though, is that Christmas is a season of love, giving and happiness. It creates an atmosphere of positive energy that will surely give a light feeling to those who understand that Christmas is not all about our own happiness, but also about the happiness that it will bring to other people.
Christmas is fast approaching. For parents, it is an occasion that we need a thorough plan, not only because it's a vacation for the whole family, with no school classes for the kids and no work for employees. It is also the time of the year where that almost everybody is waiting for. Christmas is an opportunity to form even stronger bonds with our friends, and especially with our family. Not all will have the privilege to celebrate this special occasion with their love ones, whether it be with children or a spouse. Some will celebrate the Christmas celebration with their friends. In this article you will find out the best Christmas destination to spend with your family or with your friends. Many people opt to spend the Christmas break at home with family, but if you're in the mood to travel somewhere instead, you may want to read the suggestions that follow.
- 1 Places to check for Christmas Vacation
- 2 Best places to spend Christmas with kids
- 3 Your budget and the length of the vacation
- 4 Who's going on this vacation: The whole family, friends, just couples
- 5 The ideal environment you are looking for in a travel destination
- 6 Tips
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 7.1 Where is the best place to spend vacations with my whole family?
- 7.2 Where to spend Christmas vacation as a single man looking for girls?
- 7.3 Best place to spend Christmas in hot weather?
- 7.4 In New Mexico, where would you love to spend Christmas?
- 7.5 I'm looking for a great place to spend Christmas 2015?
- 7.6 I'm looking for a two to three days short trip?
- 7.7 Place to visit with friends, can you advice an affordable place to visit with friend?
- 8 Comments
Places to check for Christmas Vacation
- 1Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.It is one of the best winter destination for families. Starting every year in November, and going on through the first part of February, tourists in this place can experience an extravagant lights display. This place is filled with beautiful stunning lights and restaurants that your family will surely enjoy. You will definitely have fun walking around, even on a brisk winter night because the people around are happy and hospitable. This place is known to celebrate Christmas in a traditional way. You can check out the Winterfest lights and also take advantage of the free food, local entertainment, amazing fireworks and kiddie games. You will also get the chance to witness the Christmas tree festival, where there is a variety of hand-made Christmas decor and trees. Your kids surely love to sing, and they will probably have a great experience caroling in downtown Gatlinburg. There will also be an annual Christmas parade, where you will love the traditional acts such as baton twirlers, beauty pageant winners, bands and floats, and the most awaited appearance of Santa Claus. Another good thing is, your kids will surely treasure the experience of joining Santa Claus at brunch. If you're a fan of traditional and family-oriented Christmas celebrations, then you will definitely pick this tourist destination on top of your list.Advertisement
- 2Riverside Festival of Lights and Disneyland, California.Traditionally, Santa Claus arrives with his reindeer and sleigh, but here, you will see an extraordinary Santa who uses a skateboard for his fashionable entrance. You will surely love the Lights Parade, in which you will see boats and a yacht that is decorated with lights parading in the harbor. Your kids will be able to travel on the Roaring Camp Railroad, where they can ride a special Lights Train. They can also have a chance to meet Mrs. Claus and go on a Polar Express trip. Lastly, your children will be very excited if you will add in a trip to Disneyland. It is the best place to visit for kids and kids at heart. It's like never-ending magic when you visit this place. Pleasant and happy faces are all around you. It will automatically transport you and your family to a fantasy land, where there is no room for sadness and problems. Every child will love to visit and play in Disneyland. They can meet and greet the Disney characters that they can usually only see on TV and here, their favorite cartoon characters are real. So if you want a mix of traditional and fantasy Christmas celebration, plus an unforgettable experience for your children, visit the Riverside Festival and Disneyland in California.Advertisement
- 3Santa's Magical Kingdom in Eureka, Missouri.If your kids want a quick visit with Santa Claus, while you can go for your last minute gift shopping, you will definitely love this place. You can use your own vehicle to roam around, or you can take a wagon ride. Children can have a picture taken with Santa and you can enjoy eating at Snack Shack. You will also be amazed with the sparkling lights display, but nothing can beat Kringle's General Store if you are looking for a perfect Christmas gift.
- 4Legendary Lights at Clifton Mill, Ohio.In this place there is not only a 1000-lights Christmas display, but instead, a 3.5 million-lights decoration to go along with an extravagant Christmas celebration. The lights outline the building, bridges, trees and the famous 100-foot "Waterfall of Lights." Children will get a chance to see how Santa arranges the gifts that he needs to deliver before he rides his sleigh. One of the most popular places to visit here is the Santa Claus Museum. There are more than 300,000 items that you will find here, and they are all about Santa Claus.
- 5Hershey Sweet Lights, Pennsylvania.For a chocolate lover like me, this place is simply amazing. You and your family can experience two miles of wooded trails driving while enjoying a nearly 600 illuminated lights display. The foods are also spectacular, especially the desserts. So if you would like to celebrate your Christmas in the sweetest place on earth, plan your vacation in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
- 6Puerto Rico.Yes! Puerto Rico is one of my best picks. This is another new thrill for Christmas. You will definitely love the ambiance of Christmas in Puerto Rico. First, you will love the best deal they offer for hotel accommodation. The money you will spend for the hotels is worth it. The second best part is the food. You will definitely find a turkey here, but a totally different menu for Christmas eve. You can eat a roasted suckling pig, or what they call a "Lechon." This is the most important menu for Christmas here, to make it more special. Third is the shopping experience. You can buy an extraordinary and unique Christmas gift to surprise your relatives or friends back home. You can give them a Santos, which is a hand-carved wooden figurines. This is not just a souvenir, but also a spiritual keepsake. You can also bring home Coquito, a Puerto Rican made eggnog, and a creamy grog for a perfect keepsake. And lastly, there is the jewelry. Who would not be so happy on Christmas to receive a piece of jewelry? You will definitely find quality jewelry in the stores and you will surely love the discounts. What makes it more interesting is that you can find small stores with the same quality of jewelries.
- 7Glitter Gulch, Las Vegas, Nevada.If you are looking for a more adult style of Christmas, this is the place that for you. You will definitely love the winter wonderland that Sam's Hotel and Gambling hall have created. You will find here almost half a million Christmas lights, along with a laser-light futuristic show in a magical snow shower. You will also be stunningly amazed with the fountain show at the world-famous Bellagio. The fountain will only dance to Christmas carols, and you will also never forget the 49-foot-tall Christmas tree, topped with an eight-foot star.
- 8Hawaii.If you want to experience a no-snow-at-all Christmas vacation, then you might consider this place, where you can find a tropical breeze and a sunny atmosphere. You wouldn't need to bring your winter coat and boots, and this change of wardrobe would be one of the most exciting parts of it. There may be no snowballs, but a castle made of sand could be a substitute. There will be no low temperatures. Instead you may need to be ready with a lemonade to cool you down. Christmas in Hawaii is a traditional celebration, complete with Christmas carols and a Christmas dinner.
- 9Santa Claus, Indiana.This is Santa Claus's hometown, so be ready for the amazing surprises that await you and your family here. First, you would want to visit the Santa Claus Christmas Store. You will find the best treats here,like fudge, Christmas decor, and gifts that will definitely surprise your loved ones. Second, you will surely not want to miss the 1.2 miles of Santa Claus Lands of Light, where you will learn the amazing story of Rudolph, and you will definitely feel fantastic when you visit Santa's Candy Castle. Lastly, you will be able to get a Rudolph's Christmas Cabin. What I really like most about this cabin is its size, as it can accommodate the whole family, and also the fact that you can bring your own food and cook your own meals. The cabin includes an electric fireplace, sofa and flat-screen TV. It's like you move all the conveniences of your own house with you to Indiana. You can even have a barbecue party with your family because there is a grill available to use. The cabin also offers all the small appliances that you could need to create a tasty dish for Christmas Eve. For me, this is one of the best picks for a Christmas vacation.
- 10New York.I would be a hypocrite if I did not include New York in my list. The first thing to check out should probably be The Rockettes. You will definitely envy those girls who can dance at the highest level, and men would definitely enjoy the beautiful faces of the performers. Second, is the Holiday Train Show. You will be amazed with the miniatures of the Empire State Building, and all the popular destinations that you would find in the New York Botanical Gardens. All the replicas are created as if they are the real thing. If you are a fan of ballet dancing, you will definitely also want to grab this chance to watch "The Nutcracker." This ballet event will definitely stun you, from the way they have created the background design and the costumes to the effects, like growing. There is no age limit in loving Origami, so you and your kids will definitely share good bonding moments visiting the Origami Holiday Tree. Another exciting, kid-friendly activity is going to Ice Skating at Citi Pond at Bryant Park. You will love to skate here, but I suggest that in order to save money, you should bring your own ice skates. And if you feel too cold after doing your ice skating expedition, then you can definitely warm yourself at one of the restaurants located at the rink side. If you still have time, you can roam around and shop for gifts or for yourself.
Best places to spend Christmas with kids
- 1Lapland.Head into Santa's Lapland wonderland this Christmas. Fly into Finland, more specifically to Helsinki. Check into a hotel or rent a Christmas-styled apartment or log cabin, and be immersed into two days of Christmas and Santa Claus things. Explore Santa's underground caves, witness the elves at work in their workshops, and have a sleigh ride pulled by reindeer. Enjoy a snowy Christmas with skiing with the whole family during daytime and warming up in front of a fireplace with hot chocolate after.Advertisement
- 2Cruise on the Caribbean.If cold weather isn't your pleasure, wouldn't it be nice on Christmas day to be with your family out at sea on a luxury liner in the Caribbean? On the ship, you and your kids will not run out of activities to do. And at the ports of call in Puerto Rico, Mexico, British Virgin Isles and more, you will be able to enjoy shopping and the beaches.
- 3London.More than likely, you can get fairly inexpensive tickets from the USA to London during the Christmas season. The weather there is freezing cold and it is not a likely tourist destination for Christmas. But there will be plenty of places to go to in London as a family, and since they also speak English, language should not be a problem. While you're there, you and your kids can also just hop over to nearby Disneyland Paris as a side trip.
- 4Polar Express Train Rides.There are a number of train trips in the US that recreate the famous children's book by Chris Van Alisburg. The children are encouraged to wear pajamas, while the staff wears costumes to act out the characters in the book. While the story is being read on board, there are hot cocoa and Christmas carols, and Santa Claus will be on board the train sometime during the trip. There are Polar Express packages at Grand Canyon Railway in Williams, Arizona, at the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in North Carolina, and in New Hampshire.
- 5Bellingrath Gardens Magic Christmas Lights in Mobile Alabama.Walk through 950 displays and three million colorful sparkling Christmas lights in the 65 acres of the Bellingrath Gardens estate. Nightly choral performances on the South Terrace of the Bellingrath Home will also be on tap for your family to enjoy.
- 8Coeur d'Alene Resort Holiday Light Show at Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.This is the largest floating holiday light show, with more than 1.5 million Christmas lights sparkling on the waters of Lake Coeur d'Alene. The family can watch from the shore or pay for a delightful holiday cruise to take a closer look at the spectacle.
Your budget and the length of the vacation
Now you may be starting to list down the places you may want to travel to for the Christmas holiday. The next things you will take into consideration are your budget for the Christmas trip and your holiday duration.
Of course, we don't want a holiday trip that makes us spend a lot of money. If you don't have a lot of money for the upcoming holiday, you may go for cheap Christmas holiday trips. Try the all-inclusive holiday deals, which some beach hotels and resorts mostly offer, so that you need not worry about other expenses that may arise and make you pay more when you get to the place. Below are some examples of locations that offer all-inclusive packages for vacationers:
- 1Dreamplace Gran Castillo.This hotel is situated in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, a Spanish island located in the easternmost part of the Canary Islands. It is the most famous beach resort in the area. Many people, during the Christmas vacation, travel to tropical places, and maybe you also want to travel to a tropical place. If that sounds good, this hotel is probably the best place for you. Not only is the weather consistently hot all year round there, but also the hotels offer all-inclusive holiday deals like the Dreamplace Gran Castillo. The hotel looks very luxurious, but amazingly, it offers cheap holiday deals for the visitors. The inclusive package includes free meals - breakfast, lunch, and dinner - in buffet style. Snacks and drinks are also available, such as Spanish Tortilla, hot dogs, sandwiches, sweet foods, coffees, mineral water, tea, soft drinks, spirits and beers. It also has all-inclusive sports and entertainment deals suitable for all vacationers. Sport facilities include billiards, ping pong, and some activities for kids. You may visit http://onthebeach.co.uk to read more.Advertisement
- 2Apulit Island Resort.This resort is situated in Taytay, Palawan, Philippines. Almost all Asian countries charge low prices, so perhaps you can afford something to buy and book a hotel there. What's more, there are so many incredible places that you may find in most Asian countries, one of which is the Apulit Island. You may want to go to this resort with your partner for a Christmas romantic getaway. This resort includes free breakfast, has a bar or lounge, restaurant, swimming pool, beach, and high-speed internet. It is also located at the place where you can see limestone cliffs, swim at the white-sand beach, coconut trees, and many other natural resources. If you stay there for three days, you will only spend around $340. You may visit http://tripadvisor.com for more details.
These two locations are just a couple of examples of cheap getaways for the holidays. Go for all-inclusive holiday deals or travel to Asian countries if you want an affordable Christmas holiday trip.
Your holiday duration
If you plan to spend your Christmas holiday in another country, then you may want to consider the length of the days you will spend there, including the flight duration and your Christmas break. How many days do you usually have off work for the holiday? If you have more than a week, then you can spend more days in another country. If you only have less than a week, it would be better off spending your holiday near where you live.
Who's going on this vacation: The whole family, friends, just couples
During the Christmas holiday, some people prefer to go on vacation to other places. When choosing a destination, don't forget to consider the people you are going to bring with you. You may ask yourself these questions: Will the kids enjoy the same activities that I would like to try? Will my partner love the place as much as I do? Will my friends have fun at my chosen travel destination? So, to make a successful Christmas holiday trip, better ask the people you are going to bring with first about your chosen travel destination. You may want to consider the locations listed above and propose them to your travel mates, or you may read the summary of the list of best locations below, and then discuss it with them later on:
Best Christmas holiday destinations for the whole family
- 1Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
- 2Riverside Festival of Lights and Disneyland, California.
- 3Santa's Magical Kingdom in Eureka, Missouri.
- 4Legendary Lights at Clifton Mill, Ohio.
- 5Hershey Sweet Lights, Pennsylvania.
- 6Santa Claus, Indiana.
Best Christmas holiday destinations for the couples
Best Christmas holiday destinations for group of friends
Best Christmas destinations for solo travelers
If you are going to travel solo for the Christmas holiday, make sure that you will choose a safe destination. You may also choose one of the aforementioned best destinations above. Although you are going to travel alone, you may still meet other people along the way.
The ideal environment you are looking for in a travel destination
Before choosing a destination for the holiday, ask yourself first these questions: What do I really want to do at the place I chose? Should I just go shopping or do sight-seeing? Where could my friends and I do some extreme sports, like skiing? What location could my partner and I go to so we can be alone, have fun, and make love? Or what destination is good for my kids to join me?
As you noticed, I have listed different destinations for the upcoming holiday with different environments and atmospheres above. You may look it up again for your reference later on, but before selecting a place to travel to, you must keep in mind the tips below:
- 1If you want somewhere tropical, you may choose a beach hotel and resort.An example of this is the Laguna Park I in Tenerife, Spain. Most people want to get away from the cold and snowy weather and plan to stay in tropical countries in the winter holiday.
- 2If you want somewhere cold and caked in snow, you may want to travel to Meribel, France, or Verbier, Switzerland, as these places offer extreme sports like skiing.I recommend these to a group of friends, but not for kids, as the environment and the extreme adventure are very dangerous to them.
- 3If you want to travel to a place that you and your whole family can both enjoy, you may want to choose somewhere interesting for all ages.The destination that you may choose should have wonderful Christmas illuminations all over the place, various entertainment and sports for kids, or night markets. An example of this is in Tokyo, Japan. You may also want to travel to a beach and hotel resort, because kids love swimming and meeting new friends as well. Read the best travel destinations for kids above. Below are pictures in Tokyo.
- 4If you are going to travel with your partner, it would be better to choose a destination that is romantic and thrilling.An example of this is the Sheraton Keauhou Bay in Hawaii, where you may do snorkeling and diving and see different manta rays in the deep blue sea. In fact, Hawaii hotels and beach resorts are among the best romantic getaways for couples.
- 5If you and your friends love the nightlife, Spain is the best choice.There are many hotels and resorts in this country, and most of them are situated on islands. You can choose any hotels to stay in Lanzarote, as the place has the things you are looking for �" nightlife and clubbing.Advertisement
- Plan your vacation ahead of time.
- Search for online packages for your vacation to get a better deal.
- Never forget to bring a first aid kit, especially if you travel with children.
Questions and Answers
Where is the best place to spend vacations with my whole family?
It depends on the preferences of your family. What are they looking for in their Christmas vacation? What kind of feeling do they want to feel at this time? What are they hoping to see, and what kind of experiences do they want to have? If you and your family can answer all these questions together, and you ask them to give suggestions, it will be easier to decide where to take a Christmas vacation.
The best place for you to spend your vacation days with your family will be Disney World. This place is designated for all families to come and have fun as a whole. There are other vacation spots such as Puerto Rico or other islands you can visit but they aren't designated for family fun like Disney World.
Where to spend Christmas vacation as a single man looking for girls?
It is really a clever idea to spend your Christmas vacation trying to find a date. Where you go to find them really all depends on the type of girl you want to find. Of course, you wouldn't want to hang out with a chick you don't like. Following is a list of the type of girls you may find in the places where they may be spending their Christmas vacation:
- Sporty and Adventurous - These types of women often spend their Christmas vacations at sporting events and at skiing or mountain climbing sites.
- The Geek - These women loves intellectual discussions and every opportunity is a learning experience. They sometimes spend their Christmas vacations at historical places and coffee shops.
- Sweet and Innocent - These girls are usually hanging out with fellow girls in the malls, but they may be hard to find, because sometimes they are just at home spending the holidays with their families.
- The Environmentalist �" These women loves to use their time in volunteering for environmental programs like tree planting, etc.
- Hot and Sophisticated - These women loves to party and socialize. They usually hang out in bars, parties, discos, or anywhere that excitement can be found.
- The Religious Type - These women are often found at retreat houses, churches and other religious events.
Whatever place you want to spend your Christmas, what is important is that the girl you are with will make your holiday memorable and fun.
Miami Florida is a great place to meet new women while you are single. In Miami women are a lot of women to see for they have great weather causing more people to roam outside for fun. Even though it will be Christmas Miami will still be a great place to visit to meet new people.
Best place to spend Christmas in hot weather?
Where could you find hotter weather than in the Philippines? Aside from the hot weather, there are also many beautiful places that are so inviting to see. Here are some places that you can visit in the Philippines:
- Boracay in Caticlan, Aklan
- Coron in Palawan
- Pagudpod in Ilocos Norte
- Manila, Philippines
Try visiting the Philippines for Christmas. There are a lot of places in the Philippines that you can visit. You can try visiting any of the following destinations:
- Tagaytay (Taal Volcano)
- Palawan (Coron,Puerto Princesa, El nido)
- Camarines Sur
- Vigan, Ilocos Norte
- Rizal Park, Manila
- Ilocos Sur
- Hundred Islands
- Laoag, Ilocos Norte
- Cagayan de Oro
In New Mexico, where would you love to spend Christmas?
In New Mexico, one of the most lovely vacations that you can take is Albuquerque. Old Town Albuquerque is decorated in a very old fashioned, Spanish style, with the missions lit to perfection. The city itself is lovely any time of the year, but at holiday time there is a great deal more to see and do. The gift buying process becomes easier there as well, with street vendors and Old Town shops offering low-priced handmade goods such as leather and jewelry from the nearby Native American reservations. If you have the chance during your holiday travels, make sure to spend a day in Old Town Albuquerque.
Well, in my personal opinion you should be somewhere cold and possibly snowy for Christmas. Now I know this seems absurd in the desert, but I lived in Las Vegas for some time and would often go up on the mountains to get out of the heat sometimes. It was a little bit of a drive but definitely worth it, you should look into taking a trip north to the mountains if its not too far.
Now if this isn't a option, other good places to go for Christmas would be a family member or friends house. Christmas is definitely one of the times of the year that it can be fun to be around family. I mean who doesn't like getting presents?
I'm looking for a great place to spend Christmas 2015?
I will be traveling with my husband and my 60 lb. dog. I'd like to find a place in the lower half of America to rejuvenate, spa facilities, shops and restaurants, maybe some hiking trails and off leash areas. I can travel to a hotel/lodge/cabin or I have an RV and can take it to stay in if I find the right place.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
I'm looking for a two to three days short trip?
We've done the ski resorts. We used to live in California. So we're not interested in either of them. We live in Colorado and my husband does not ski, so over the years we've gone skiing and he just hangs out and does stuff on the computer and usually still enjoys himself. However, this year we want dad to be with us. He's had knee surgery. So we can't exactly hike miles north. But he can get around and we all would like to find a spot to enjoy ourselves for the four of us without spending $2500, got any ideas?. I have tried: Skit resorts mostly. We used to live in San Diego so we've done all the CA type adventures. We were just discussing going back there. But I always spend more than I would like to and my children have seen all of that with us. So then we thought we would go somewhere just to see a specific play that's playing in that area or get tickets to a concert that is only in that specific area but not much is playing at Christmas time.. I think it was caused by: I'm sure my budget is causing most of my restraint.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Place to visit with friends, can you advice an affordable place to visit with friend?
We are three ladies who want to travel with a friend or family and were are looking for a place that is wonderful for Christmas and affordable. any ideas?. I have tried: Online. I think it was caused by: Nothing
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Travel & Leisure
Recent edits by: Gus and Family, BluGuy, Doug Collins