Find Your Phone Number on Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Eng, Michael J. and 15 others
If you don't memorize your own number, it's helpful to know where you can find or locate your number from your mobile. To deal with this, some people will simply ask the other person for their number, call the, and then they have each other's cell numbers. So many people don't memorize their number and forget where and how to locate it on their mobile. If you've ever borrowed a friend's mobile to check your number, this article will help you learn how and where to find your number on your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- 1 Instructions
- 2 FAQs
- 2.1 Under my phone number it says "Unknown". How do I get my number? I have a micro SIM card, but I'm unsure about how to get my number on there. I assumed there would already be one.
- 2.2 There is no "Own Number" option on my phone, can it be found somewhere else?
- 2.3 What if I don't know my number, and my own number does not show in the phone?
- 2.4 I am using a Sri Lanka Mobitel SIM, which does not expose the local phone number. How can I find out my phone number?
- 2.5 Where is the left sub key on the phone?
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 3.1 How do I change to the phone number on my phone?
- 3.2 Hi. My number won't display on my S4. It says unknown?
- 3.3 There is no "Own Number" selection for step 5.
- 3.4 Trying to enter my number in "Status" to allow Samsung Kies to recognize my phone.
- 3.5 I cannot see my phone number on the status.
- 3.6 I don't have "More Options" - so what do I do now?
- 3.7 The wrong number displays on friend's phones when I call them. How can I fix this?
- 3.8 In an attempt to change own phone number on SIM Card, I have tapped the left menu key in contacts, configuration, but there is no More key.
- 3.9 Hi. I have a Samsung S4 and I have set up the tracking dive. It states that a different SIM card has been placed in my phone, but this is not the case. Could you tell me what would be the cause of this please?
- 3.10 I have tried your steps to get my phone number recognized, however I am unable to do so.
- 3.11 There is no "Own Number" selection for step 5
- 3.12 When I go to Status to check my phone number, it says unknown. Why does it say that, and how can I find out my phone number?
- 3.13 To make sure the phone returned after service, is the phone I brought in.
- 3.14 All this is unnecessary. Just memorize the phone number.
- 3.15 Can't find out how to uninstall an app?
- 3.16 My friend asked me if my Galaxy S4 is fake, but my Galaxy S4 is original. How can I check to see if my Galaxy S4 is original?
- 3.17 Its about updating my S4 from 4.2.2 jellybean to the 5.0 Lollipop?
- 4 Comments
- 6Then scroll down, and you should then see your number under "My Phone Number".
Under my phone number it says "Unknown". How do I get my number? I have a micro SIM card, but I'm unsure about how to get my number on there. I assumed there would already be one.
While the above-mentioned steps to find your own phone number on your Samsung Galaxy S4 work most of the time, there are instances when these steps do not lead you to what you want. Instead of the phone number, nothing is displayed, or it states that the number is unknown. Why is that? Apparently, in some countries there are mobile carriers that do not program the phone number into the SIM card. For that reason, there is no way for the Android operating system to automatically determine this and display it on the "About Phone" settings. In this case, you have to manually set your own phone number. To do this, follow these steps:
- 1Manually enter your own phone number on the SIM card.Advertisement
- Go to "Contacts".
- Tap the left sub key of your phone to show more options.
- Tap "More".
- Tap "Settings".
- Tap "Own Number".
- Enter your own phone number and a name you want to correspond with it.
- 2Restart your phone.
- 3Go to your phone's "Settings" menu.
- 4Tap "About Phone".
- 5Tap "Status".
- 6See your own number displayed on the "My Phone Number" section.Advertisement
There is no "Own Number" option on my phone, can it be found somewhere else?
Unfortunately, some versions of the phone don't have the "Own Number" feature. Some network providers also choose not to have that feature. What you can do now is take action. Call your customer service representative and express your concerns and desire to have the feature; urge your friends to do the same. This way, if lots of people request the feature, telecommunication companies may enable it on their future updates. Also, make sure that you have the latest version of your phone, as the feature may have been included with the new update. Go to Settings > More > About Device > Software update > Update to update your Galaxy S4's Android operating system. You can also check this article on how to Update / Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S4 to get detailed instructions for upgrading your device.
What if I don't know my number, and my own number does not show in the phone?
You still have an option; some SIM cards will show your number on the back. Remove your SIM card and check to see if the SIM number is indicated at the back of it. If you need help in removing you SIM card, you may check the article on how to Install SIM Card and Battery on Samsung Galaxy S4 on Samsung Galaxy S4. If you still have your SIM bedding, you can check it, as most SIM card numbers are engraved on the back.
I am using a Sri Lanka Mobitel SIM, which does not expose the local phone number. How can I find out my phone number?
If you still have problems finding out your phone number, as your phone is not displaying it, and the number is not on the SIM card either, then you may try these neat little tricks to find your phone number:
- Send an SMS to a Friend - Send your friend a message asking for a reply to include your number. Your friend should see your number and can send it back to you.
- Call Someone - This is an alternative to sending an SMS. Call someone and ask for your number from their call logs. If you are near someone who has a phone, you may initiate the call without answering it to save unnecessary costs.
- Call Customer Support - If you do not have enough credit to make a call or an SMS, you can call your customer support's toll-free number, and request your SIM number. They should be able to give you the information.
Where is the left sub key on the phone?
The left sub key indicated in the instructions is the Menu key. This is the key on the lower-left part of your phone. The Menu key will display the available menu for the current page or screen that you are on.
Questions and Answers
How do I change to the phone number on my phone?
In Settings->More-> About Device-> my phone number is incorrect, do you know how can I change it?
There is no way to change the phone number in About Device > Status. This is a network carrier function and only network operators have access to this. This will not cause any problems with the use of your device though. If you want to be sure, you can call your network's customer care.
You will not be able to change this number that you presently see in the Phone Number tab in your About Device menu. If you have an issue with the number displaying, if it's incorrect, then you will need to contact your carrier's customer service in order to get help with this situation.
See more questions like this: Hi, actually I was searching the same thing for My Redmi Note3 phone?
Hi. My number won't display on my S4. It says unknown?
Samsung S4 - I can't see my number.
Some versions of Samsung do not display their phone number due to the service provider. There are actually SIM cards don't even display their own numbers on the phone - or any other phones. On the other hand, if you truly need it, you can try removing your SIM-card first, and see if it's on the back of the SIM card. Usually the number of the SIM card is printed at the back of the SIM cards of some network providers. If you have no luck, call the customer hotline of your service provider.
You can find your phone number by visiting the about device section in the settings menu on your device. If under status your phone number says unknown, then you will need to make a call to your carrier's customer service so that you will be able to have your settings reset.
There is no "Own Number" selection for step 5.
In the step: "Manually enter your own phone number in on the SIM card.
Are you really sure there is no "Own Number" selection on your phone after going to the settings? I think there should be a different option available, or any alternatives where you can eventually input your number as your Own number and save it. You can always try exploring in the "Settings" menu of contacts in your phone.
Your phone number will be displayed in the tab settings>>about device>>status>>and your number will be displayed on the screen to view, but you will not be able to change the number.
Trying to enter my number in "Status" to allow Samsung Kies to recognize my phone.
See above: trying to enter my number in "Status" to allow Samsung Kies to recognize my phone.
The mobile number for you device will be located in your About Device section in your settings menu. Go to settings and while in settings locate the About Device tab in order to retrieve your number from your device.
I cannot see my phone number on the status.
I lose network, making it impossible to call, but I can receive calls. When I go for information about the device, and then to the status, it is not my number. Number unknown
There is no way for you to enter your phone number in the menu you are referring to, for this status will need to be programmed by your phone carrier. From here you need to contact them, and ask them to enter the information and update the number in your phone status.
For this issue, you will need to contact your mobile carrier. They will be able to explain the information you are seeing in "About Phone" on your Android device. According to them, it will affect your personal phone number, when it comes to calling and texting. Contact your carrier's customer service, and they will let you know why you are having this issue.
I don't have "More Options" - so what do I do now?
I'm in "Contacts" and I click the left sub-button which opens a menu of choices, but there is no "More" or "Settings" listed.
If you are trying to manually create or add your phone number in your phone, then it should be simple. When going to the contacts menu, you will find the sub menu for options to settings. Here you can choose your own number. To do so in contacts, tap the left button on your phone to open the sub-menu, and go to Settings, then go to Own Number, and tap it again to add your number.
If you are still having a hard time finding for it, then maybe your service provider does not support it. To ensure that this is the case, you could try inserting a different SIM and try go to the settings again.
You can also find your number by going into your settings>>>>about device>>>>status>>>>>from here you will be able to view your phone number on your device
If you are trying to find your own number on your S4, don't look in "Your Contacts" section of your device, instead, follow the steps below:
1. Go to settings.
2. Go to the my device tab.
3. Go to status.
4. From here you will be able to see your phone number in the menu
The wrong number displays on friend's phones when I call them. How can I fix this?
Whenever I call someone, a totally different number shows up on their phone! Whats going on?
It could mean that the phonebook on their phone is confused. They may have both your numbers in two different areas (phone memory and SIM memory) bearing the same name and number. I suggest you ask them to delete one entry or change it from:
09185104491 to (+63)9185104491<img class="skype_c2c_logo_img" src="resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png">(+63)9185104491 (the +63 is the area code)
If your number changes entirely (no similarity to your number whatsoever), I suggest you contact your carrier to iron things out.
To change my own phone number on SIM Card I have tapped the left menu key in contacts, configuration, but there is no More key? Am I doing it correctly?
This option on your phone is either disabled or not included in your phone settings. If you have used the phone using a different SIM card than what you are currently using, you might need to reset the device (since it does not give you the option to edit it). To be able to get your number/new number on your phone, you have to back up your phone using a program called Samsung Kies. You can download it here:
Samsung Kies has an option to back up data such as your contacts, messages etc. Once backed up, you will need to reset your device. To do a Hard Reset, do the following:
- Go to settings.
- Tap accounts.
- Tap back up and reset.
- Tap factory data reset.
- Tap reset device.
- Tap erase everything.
Enter the code (in dialer): *2767*3855#
NOTE: This procedure will erase everything (apps and data).
You can also watch this how-to video:
Hi. I have a Samsung S4 and I have set up the tracking dive. It states that a different SIM card has been placed in my phone, but this is not the case. Could you tell me what would be the cause of this please?
It states that a different SIM card has been placed in my phone,but this is not the case, Could you tell me what would be the cause of this please?'
It means that your SIM card has been taken out of the device at some point. This option shows up when your device has recognized that a different SIM card has been placed into your device.
I have tried your steps to get my phone number recognized, however I am unable to do so.
Why is my phone number unknown in device/status?
This will be a problem with your carrier. Contact them and ask for help to have your number properly displayed in this tab.
There is no "Own Number" selection for step 5
It's a bit odd that you are not seeing that option, as it is one of the main options you can view when you want to see your own phone number. You can try exploring in Settings and About This Phone or About This Device and you should find an option for Own Number. In some cases, there are Samsung Galaxy S4 phones that shows it as Unknown or blank in your Own Number. If you have tried the steps and still cannot find your phone number there, there are some alternative ways to find out your phone number.
Call or Text. If you have another phone that is still active or has signal coverage, you can send a text message or call that phone, and it will automatically display your phone number on the screen. You can also call or text a friend and ask them to forward your phone number to you.
Call Customer Service. You can also contact your customer service support over the phone as they have caller IDs just like your landline or home phone. They can easily tell you your phone number when as they'll see it displayed on their screen, and tell you what it is. Customer Service is open 24/7, but may be closed during holidays.
Checking the SIM Bed. This is only applicable if you still have the SIM bed. The SIM bed is where the phone's SIM pops out. Your phone number is normally printed on the back of the SIM card.
When I go to Status to check my phone number, it says unknown. Why does it say that, and how can I find out my phone number?
Some network carriers don't display this information due to caller ID restrictions. If you want to know your phone number, but it just says unknown, there are a lot of ways you can identify your phone number. Here are a few for you to try find your phone number:
1. Contact Your Network Carrier. You can always contact your network carrier to inquire what your phone numberis, as their customer service is open 24/7 (Depends from the network carrier). Your network carrier always has your phone number in their system, since it is active, so they will be able to give it to you.
2. Look for the SIM bed. The SIM bed is the big plastic where you pop out the SIM card. If you still have it, your phone number is printed on the back of the SIM bed
3. Call or Text. If you have another phone number you've memorized, or a relative and even close friends' number, you can call or text to their phone number to find out what your phone number is. If they haven't registered your phone number, it will appear on their phone screen. If they do have your phone number registered, they you can simply ask them to forward your phone number to you.
See more questions like this: Why is my own number is unknown
To make sure the phone returned after service, is the phone I brought in.
I've taken my S4 in for service. How can I make sure it's the same phone when they return the phone after service?
You have to note the codes at the back of your phone. Those are usually very unique to every handset manufactured. You really would want to check this, as it is awful to think they would just replace your handset with a fake one.
All this is unnecessary. Just memorize the phone number.
I understand that it is best that you just memorize the phone instead of going through all these steps to find out your own phone number. Not all people have good memories, and some people rarely give out their numbers, and certainly don't call themselves. This article is specifically for those moments.
We need to consider as well, that some people may have a disorder or condistion that prevents them from memorizing many things, including their own phone number. It could be Alzheimer's, Brain Tumor, Concussion and Dementia. Dementia is a brain disorder where a person:
Cannot Remember Faces.
Cannot recall recent activities or events.
Has trouble finding words to express.
Cannot memorize, even if they keep on reading the same books, article and so on.
Problem recognizing places and so on.
Another consideration is concerning time constraints. The person has no time to memorize things, as they are busy with more important things like business, office works and others. They prefer to have a calling card with their mobile phone being printed on for contacts and so on.
Can't find out how to uninstall an app?
Step by step how to uninstall my apps.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
My friend asked me if my Galaxy S4 is fake, but my Galaxy S4 is original. How can I check to see if my Galaxy S4 is original?
My friend asked me if my Galaxy S4 is fake, but my Galaxy S4 is original. How can I check to see if my Galaxy S4 is original
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Its about updating my S4 from 4.2.2 jellybean to the 5.0 Lollipop?
I bought my Straight Talk phone from Walmart and am unable to update to Lollipop how can I do this I've tried everything I can think of. I also have my son that has an S4 through the AT&T store and he was able to do an update so this makes no sense to me. Is this because my phone was bought from walmart as a Straight Talk phone. I have tried: I tried going to update status and it shows everything has been updated and have tried downloading the jollipop app but it didn't take. I think it was caused by: Probably buying the S4 from walmart in a Straight Talk box
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Recent edits by: Nuance, Mirza Shani, Dougie