Find Things That Can Be Repurposed to Make a Bathroom Vanity
Edited by Christine dela Cruz, Anonymous, Robbi, Lynn
Do you consider your bathroom to be one of the most important parts of your home? Do you like decorating it? Are you creative enough to make use of various accessories at home and convert it to something else nice and useful? There are definitely a lot of things that you can find that can be used as a bathroom decoration, particularly in making an adorable bathroom vanity.
Bathroom Vanity Defined
A bathroom vanity is that part of the bathroom consisting of the following:
- 4Dresser chair
- 5Vanity item holder
Some people refer to this as the powder corner or area. In some households that have a relatively larger space, the bathroom vanity is even enclosed in a separate room. The vanity sink is mainly used when brushing your teeth or quickly washing your hands and face. Because of this, it is ideal to decorate it, almost the same way you would decorate a corner of your living room.
How to Find Things that Can Be Repurposed to Make a Bathroom Vanity
Considering the components of a bathroom vanity, there are three things that must be present:
- 1A flat surface that can hold toiletries and other accessoriesAdvertisement
- 2A lower area to put the sink into
There are indeed many items at home that can be repurposed into a bathroom vanity, such as:
- 1Living room mid-sized standalone cupboard.This is typically a living room cupboard that only stands as tall as your upper waist or lower chest and has a few drawers. You can use the upper surface to sit a bowl-type sink and then devise the flow of water from the back side. You should use one that is at least a meter long so that you still have both sides of the sink to place your toiletries on, as well as other decorations. For this type of repurposed furniture, you will have to use your bathroom vanity standing up.
- 2Bedroom dresser.This is the most ideal furniture to repurpose to make a bathroom vanity. You basically allow the sink to sit on the part of the dresser at the left side of the mirror. The one directly in front of the mirror would be used very much like you would use a dresser. This does not need much fixing as you basically just need to work the water system into it. This is relatively easy, as you just need to position the tubes a little bit below the sink and lead it toward the back side of the dresser. What's good about using this piece is that it would be comfortable enough to use a chair with it. However, the sink should be positioned slightly higher for ease of use.
- 3Movable kitchen counter.If you happen to have a larger bathroom, you can just relocate your kitchen counter into the bathroom, except that you will surround it with toiletries and other bathroom essentials instead of kitchenware and other ingredients. This is going to create for you a spacious bathroom vanity, with lots of room to organize your toiletries and other bathroom accessories. What's even better with this particular piece of furniture is that there are usually a lot of drawers or holders for big and small stuff, so it would make the organization of your toiletries neater.
Other Little Trinkets that Can Be Repurposed as a Bathroom Decoration
There are many things that you can actually find around you which can be repurposed into something else, specifically as part of your bathroom decoration. In fact, you can even creatively turn old stuff which you do not use for their original purpose anymore into something innovative, useful, and attractive in the bathroom. You just need to be a bit more imaginative and you'll immediately find that the possibilities are almost endless.
- 1Chunky Bangle.If you feel that your chunky bangles are already out of fashion, you may turn them into shower curtain loops instead. Just put them all into the shower curtain tube, and create small loops on top of your shower curtain in order to get it attached. If you have several of these bangles, you can create nice color coordination and pattern as you put them into the tube.Advertisement
- 2Brooch.If you want to avoid your shower curtain swinging continuously because of the air from your exhaust fan or because of movements inside the bathroom, you may decorate it with some of your metal brooches. Pin them all over the shower curtain. Not only will you be able to make your curtain heavier, and therefore steadier, but it will also give your bathroom a different appeal. It will look nicer if you pin them on the outer part of the shower curtain, the one not facing the shower area Not only will you be able to protect them from getting wet and rusting, but you're also able to expose the decoration further.
- 3Big Stationery Sticker.If you have been collecting stickers but have no where to stick huge stickers on, your bathroom may be your next best option. These stickers can immediately make your bathroom tiles look like they have built-in painted designs in them. Pastel-colored glittery ones create an elegant appeal. However, be careful not to use those glittered stickers that do not have a transparent overcoat, because the glitter can fly around the bathroom and stick on towels and soaps.
- 1Silk Curtain.If you have not been using some of your silk curtains anymore, because you've changed the model or style of your living room, you can easily repurpose these curtains into shower curtains. It is best to choose the ones made of silk, as silk does not automatically absorb water.
- 2Rubber Centerpiece Mat.You can repurpose your old living room centerpiece mats made of rubber into soap dish coasters in the bathroom. You can put more flair into it by cutting it into different shapes.
- 3Pastel-Colored Candle.Pastel-colored candles are better placed in the bathroom because it helps it look cozier and cleaner. On the other hand, more detailed candle designs as well as darker shades are better off in the living room. In the bathroom, candles are best placed on top of the toilet panel. Not only does it serve as a practical decoration, but it can also help immediately remove bathroom odor.
- 1Non-Food Grade Mug.Almost for sure, at some point, you've received a mug as a Christmas or birthday present, or even as a souvenir from a company during special occasions. Mugs are one of the easiest items to think of as a gift. However, because these are usually purchased in bulk at a cheap price, not all of them are considered at the food-grade level. This means, in fact, not all mugs are safe to be in contact with food, especially beverages. They may be cute with pretty designs and all that, but they may not always be ideal to be used as a mug. In this case, for non-food grade mugs, you can just use them in the bathroom as a holder of small items like facial brushes, shampoo applicators, razors, and other little trinkets that need to be in the bathroom. You can easily put it on the ledge of your tub or put it inside your bathroom rack.
- 2Utensil Holder.Bathroom accessories holders are usually available at department stores. However, one of the most common issues with them is that they do not have as many holders as you'd like them to have. Usually there are only three to five hooks. In this case, you can look for your bathroom accessories holders not only in the toilet and bath section of department stores, but also at the kitchenware section. You'll find a lot of utensil holders containing several layers of hooks, so they can hold as much as you'd like. Some even have movable hooks, so you have some flexibility, depending on what you'd like to hang.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Home
Recent edits by: Robbi, Anonymous, Christine dela Cruz