Find Ring Sizes for Him or Her
Edited by Train Wreck, VisiHow, Eng
When shopping for rings, you will need to ensure a proper fit. A ring that does not fit properly can either become stuck, slide around on your finger, or even fall off. A properly fitted ring should slide on fairly easily when pushed over the knuckle but have a little resistance when removed. The best way to ensure a properly fitted ring is to visit a jeweler. If you are unable to do that, the tips in this article will help you determine what size ring you should buy. We will also give you some helpful hints on how you can determine the ring size of someone you plan to buy a gift for.
Ring Sizing Tips
- 2The temperature will affect the size of your fingers. When your hands are cold, you may get a smaller measurement. Additionally, many jewelers recommend that you take your measurement at the end of the day, when your fingers are typically slightly larger.For the most accurate fit, it is recommended that you measure your finger when your hands are room temperature to slightly warm.Advertisement
How to Measure a Ring Finger
There are a few different ways you can measure your ringer for a properly fitting ring. As mentioned above, the best way is to visit a jeweler that can help you get an accurate size by either measuring a ring you already own, or helping you try on a few rings in different sizes to determine the most comfortable fit. If you are unable to visit a jeweler, you can also measure your finger from the comfort of your own home. For the most accurate fit, take your measurement in millimeters.
- 2It is important that when you use a piece of string or thread to determine your ring size, that the material you use does not stretch. Wrap the string or thread around the finger you will wear your ring on, and use a pen or marker to note the point where the string overlaps. Leave a little extra room so that you will be able to slide the ring over your knuckle. After marking the material, measure the length from the end to your marking against a ruler or tape measure. If you use a paper strip, which is a good option since a paper strip will not stretch, you will follow the same steps as if you were using non-stretchy string or thread.Use a piece of string, thread, or a paper strip.
- 3Many jewelers will have a ring size guide on their website that you may be able to print out. This guide may include a set of circles in various sizes. You can get a good size estimate by holding a ring that you have up to these circles to see which one is the best match.Use a printable guide on a jeweler's web site.
Do note that when using the at-home methods above, always repeat your measurement a few times for confirmation. While these methods are designed to give you a good estimate, it is possible that you may still end up with a ring that is not a perfect fit. For these cases, you may be able to exchange the ring, depending on the store's policy, or even have it resized.
Tips for Buying a Ring as a Gift
There are many occasions on which you may decide to buy a ring as a gift, including a birthday, marriage proposal, anniversary, or even just because. If your ring is a surprise, it's likely that you won't want your loved one to know what you are planning, so you will need to do a little investigative work to keep your plan secret. Below are a few tips you can use if you need to find out someone's ring size without them knowing your plans.
- 1If you can, borrow a ring from the collection of the person who will receive your gift. It will be helpful if you have noticed the finger on which they typically wear this ring, since each finger may be a different size. If you are afraid that the recipient of your gift will notice that one of their rings is missing, this may not be the best option for you.Borrow a ring from their collection.Advertisement
- 2If you are afraid or unable to remove a ring from the gift recipient's collection, take a quick moment when they won't see you to trace around the inside of a ring on a piece of paper. You will be able to take your drawing to a jeweler, or use a printable guide online, in order to get a good estimate of this person's ring size.Trace the inside of a ring on a piece of paper.Advertisement
Get help from their family or friends. Family members or close friends of this person can be a fantastic source of information. You may be able to get someone to take them jewelry shopping without raising too much suspicion. They can take note of the correct ring size, and also tell you any observations about attractive styles and colors if you haven't picked a ring out yet. Just make sure they keep your secret!
There are many things you'll need to consider when buying a ring, such as gemstone, metal, and personal style. In this article, we've made ring selection a little easier and less stressful by providing tips on how you can get the best fit. If you're planning on proposing to your loved one, be sure to read our article Choose an engagement ring to suit your hand, which contains additional tips on what styles you can look for that may be the most flattering. Don't hesitate to try a variety of styles and sizes in order to get a ring that you will wear confidently and comfortably. Happy shopping!
See more articles for women on relationships: Making Your Marriage Work, Signs That Your Marriage Is Over, Telling If Your Husband Does Not Love You Anymore, Getting Relationship Advice, Getting Over Divorce (for Women), Getting Over a Broken Heart (for Women), Cheating Husband, Finding Out If Your Husband Loves You, Tell if Your Husband Hates You, Write an Apology Letter to Your Boyfriend, Write an Apology Letter to Your Husband, and Surviving Internet Affairs and Repairing Relationships.
See more articles for men on relationships: Making Your Marriage Work, Write an Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend, Signs That Your Marriage Is Over, Sending Morning SMS Messages, Telling If Your Wife Hates You, Telling If Your Wife Loves You, Getting Over a Divorce, First Date Tips, Getting Relationship Advice, Getting Over a Broken Heart, Know if Your Wife Likes Another Man, Write an Apology Letter to Your Wife, and Survive an Internet Affair and Repair Your Relationship.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Find Ring Sizes for Him or Her. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Find_Ring_Sizes_for_Him_or_Her
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Find Ring Sizes for Him or Her." VisiHow, visihow.com/Find_Ring_Sizes_for_Him_or_Her Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Find Ring Sizes for Him or Her." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Find_Ring_Sizes_for_Him_or_Her.
Categories : Marriage
Recent edits by: VisiHow, Train Wreck