Find Motor Replacements
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Lynn, Eng, MsBarbs and 1 other
Industrialization has produced many patented machines which make life more convenient. Many of these machines require an electric motor for its operation. An electric motor is an essential component to help transform electrical energy into efficient mechanical energy. Normally, motors function through the connection of winding currents for force and the magnetic field. There are motors for every kind of machine. However, there will be times when you should replace the motors and when you need to do so there are specifics you need to know in order to find a replacement.
- 1 Uses of Motors
- 2 Finding the Right Motor Replacements
- 3 Motor Specification Considerations
- 4 Can We Purchase Motor Replacements Online? Where?
- 5 Additional Tips and Suggestions to Find Motor Replacements
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Referencing this Article
- 8 Comments
Uses of Motors
Motor are used in diverse applications. Many industries use them in pumps, fans and blowers, machine tools, power tools, household appliances, and disk drives. Power sources may also differ depending upon country and size of the motor used- generators, inverters, AC (alternating current sources from power grids), and DC (direct current from rectifiers, motor vehicles, or batteries). Electric watches are usually powered by batteries because they have small motors. Ship propellers, pump storage, and pipeline compression require very large electric motors that reach up to 100 megawatts. Motors can be categorized for internal construction, type of motion, and application type among others. Loudspeakers (transducers) and magnetic solenoids (actuators) change electricity into movement, but they do not produce mechanical power that can be used.
Finding the Right Motor Replacements
Searching for the right motor replacement can be a complicated task if you don't know exactly what to do. The following are tips on how you can correctly choose a motor replacement which will fit:
- 1Cross referencing the model or part number from the body of the motor you need to replace is very easy to do. You will be able to see it on the label or nameplate which should be attached somewhere on the motor's outer body. This nameplate may include other data specifications that should also match the replacement part.Locate the part numbers. This can be the most accurate way to identify the correct motor to replace yours.Advertisement
- 2You may want to write down all the information from the nameplate, any size specifications for the machine, and electrical specs.Match the information. Matching the physical dimensions and electrical specifications of your old, defective motor is will help you to find the replacement motor that will fit and work with the machine it is to be used with.Advertisement
- 3The motor manufacturer for that machine could easily have placed their exclusive part number on the motor.Consider the company's labeling method. You should take note of the fact that there are companies that make motors for other companies.
Motor Specification Considerations
Below are some considerations that you have to take when inspecting them:
- 1Physical dimensions- This consists of the motor's length/diameter, frame size, shaft's length/diameter, and the number of shafts.Advertisement
- 2This tells you how the motor is cooled down and if it needs a special type of protection.Enclosure- You should also know if the motor is TEAO (totally enclosed air over), ODP (open drip-proof), or TEFC (totally enclosed, fan-cooled).
- 3It can have a cradle base, through-bolts, belly band, or rigid based. You should also know if the mounting is horizontal or vertical.Mounting- Every motor has a specific type of mounting.
- 4It is composed of volts, HP, RPMs, Amps, Rotation, SF/Service Factor, and Phase one or three (for industrial and appliance applications).Electrical specifications- This data is found on the nameplate.
- 5Additional specifications - This involves the type of motor (capacitor start, PSC [permanent split capacitor], or shaded pole), the sleeve or ball bearing, and the motor attachment or application.
Can We Purchase Motor Replacements Online? Where?
Yes, motor replacements can be purchased online as long as you know the specifications to ensure what you order will fit.
Below are some of the good sites you can visit online for your motor replacement:
- 2They provide SPEM from 0.37 kW to 3.7 kW, flange or foot mount, 4 or 2 pole in permanent capacitor and cap/start run. They also offer certain levels of modifications for flange or foot mounting, terminal boxes that are top or side mounted, IP upgrades, or extended shaft. They even have a technical team that's ready to help you any time.Engineersmate Single Phase Electric Motors can be purchased online through Engineers Mate.
- 3eBay is also a good place to search for that special electric motor. Just go to the site, enter what you are looking for into the search bar, then press search. You can freely browse for what you require without worrying about closing times. You can also take advantage of their customer support for any issues.[www.ebay.com eBay].Advertisement
Additional Tips and Suggestions to Find Motor Replacements
- Perform independent online research to help in your search for the right motor.
- Consult companies with credible backgrounds and years of experience when it comes to motors. They could easily help you locate the motor you are searching for or provide alternate names to search for online.
Questions and Answers
Where can I find the name plate of shipboard ac motor?
It is usually inside, and you would need to remove the cover. There are also cases where it is placed at the back. It is not always in very obvious places, but it won't be in areas in which it is difficult to see. It contains a lot of useful information, that's why it's not supposed to be concealed.
If you can't find it, there is likelihood that some repairs had been done and that it has been removed based on warranty.
What do all those things on an AC motor nameplate mean?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Find Motor Replacements. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Find_Motor_Replacements
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Find Motor Replacements." VisiHow, visihow.com/Find_Motor_Replacements Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Find Motor Replacements." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Find_Motor_Replacements.
Categories : Home Repair
Recent edits by: MsBarbs, Eng, Lynn