Fill Your Home with Christmas Scents
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Eng, Lynn, Alma and 1 other
Have you ever just opened a jar of cinnamon and immediately found yourself transported to Christmas dinner? It's amazing how the sense of smell can trigger fond memories. For most people, nothing is better than remembering Christmas with familiar, sweet aromas. A house is a lot warmer and cozier when Christmas smells waft through every room. It reminds family and friends that the season is definitely around the corner and you're a step ahead. It's convenient to just shop for scented Christmas candles or special potpourri. However, you can make the same impact by just knowing how to activate Christmas scents. Your home can definitely smell of Christmas without burning a hole in your pocket. Just be creative and think of the possible smells that trigger that childlike feeling of pure holiday excitement and cheer!
How to Fill Your Home with Christmas Scents
Most people associate many smells with Christmas. The holidays won't be complete at all without these fabulous aromas, such as evergreen, gingerbread, and baked pastries. It takes quality time to come up with ways how you can make your home smell of Christmas cheers. However, you can still do so even with the following quick techniques:
- 1The smell of pastries being baked is a well-known way to make your house smell fantastic and Christmasy. If you're not a baker, you can still make this possible by boiling spices.Boil the scents.Advertisement
- Get a pot and fill it half-full with water.
- Put nutmeg, vanilla, allspice, clove, and cinnamon in the water.
- Allow to simmer, then turn down the heat.
- The smell will waft through your entire home without risking a burnt cake in the oven.
- 2A pomander is a ball of substances that give out various aromas. During the 15th century, pomanders were used to prevent infection. These days, these fragrant balls are used to add fragrance anywhere you want them to. You can make them in no time and they last a long time.Make a pomander.Advertisement
- Acquire oranges. Using something sharp, puncture holes in them.
- Place cloves in the holes you made.
- Get a paper bag. Place ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg in it.
- Put the oranges in the spice bag so that they can be coated evenly.
- Keep the oranges inside the bag and let everything dry for a month.
- When the pomanders are dry enough, you can use them to give fragrance to your home for the season.
- Place the pomanders on gifts, the Christmas tree, wreaths, and bowls.
- You can also use limes, apples, and lemons.
- 3In this project, you have to use scented oils.Give your pine cones, some of your favorite Christmas scents.
- Select your scented oil. Pour it into a zip-lock bag.
- Place the pine cones in the bag of scented oil and shake them well.
- Remove the pine cones and drain them on paper towels.
- Place them anywhere you want them to release their scents.
How to Make a Holiday "Pot"-pourri
What you need:
- Cider, water, or apple juice
- A cup of cranberries (fresh)
- A whole orange (sliced)
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks, each split into two
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of nutmeg
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of cloves (ground or whole would be fine)
How you do it:
- 1Fill a saucepan with water about an inch from its rim.Advertisement
- 2Place the ingredients in the saucepan.
- 3Simmer on low heat.
- 4Let the fragrance of the holiday potpourri waft throughout your house.Advertisement
- Make sure that you acquire fresh ingredients.
- You can add oil into the simmering mixture to make it last a lot longer.
- Do this Christmas aroma recipe during special gatherings in your home.
- Boiling spices are an inexpensive way to incorporate Christmas smells in your home.
- Gather all the ingredients for a pomander or a potpourri and wrap them as gifts for the holidays.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Fill Your Home with Christmas Scents. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 22, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Fill_Your_Home_with_Christmas_Scents
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Fill Your Home with Christmas Scents." VisiHow, visihow.com/Fill_Your_Home_with_Christmas_Scents Accessed 22 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Fill Your Home with Christmas Scents." Accessed Jun 22, 2017. http://visihow.com/Fill_Your_Home_with_Christmas_Scents.
Categories : Holidays & Traditions
Recent edits by: Alma, Lynn, Eng