Edited by Graciela Franchesca Rosario, Eng, Maria
Almost everyone has days that they feel sleepy. And to other people, excessive sleepiness gets along with their leisure, daily work, and childcare. This is called hypersomnia, it is a persistent sleepiness that makes the people long to nap repeatedly. The problem with daytime sleepiness tends to starts at night. And not getting adequate uninterrupted sleep or missing few night's sleep, it can sour your mood and slow down you down. Poor sleep habits are the cause of daytime sleepiness.
- 1Most people succumb to get the enough one or two hours more to complete the adequate hours of sleep. Adults are required to sleep 7 to 9 hours of sleep at night, and teenagers need a complete 9 hours.Get enough nighttime sleep.Advertisement
- 2You should not use Laptop computers, read, play video games, or watch TV while in bed. Do not also open out conversations about bills in the bed. They leave you sleepless.Get distractions out of bed.Advertisement
- 3People who have troubles with sleepiness are recommended to sleep and wake up at consistent time, even on weekends. But setting a bedtime may lead to frustration if you have problems falling asleep and experience insomnia. So for this case, you need to set a wake-up time only. Stick with that time for few weeks or even up to months to build a circadian rhythm. And as you set a wake-up time this may also help you be sleepier on bedtime.Have a consistent wake-up time.
- 4A way to get a consistent time is to go to bed 15 minutes earlier every night for 4 nights. Then officially set the last bedtime. Gradually doing this may help you get your sleep than immediately go to sleep an hour earlier.Gradually adjust to an earlier bedtime.
- 5Regular sleep time, and regular mealtime help to regulate the sleep rhythm. Eating a healthy breakfast at lunch on time is preferable than drinking coffee and eating doughnut in the morning or late sandwich breakfast prevents energy deficit during the day, this will induce sleepiness. And eat your meals 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.Take a consistent, healthy mealtimes.
- 6A study was done, they experimented on people who are more awake through having a brisk 10-minute walk or eating a candy bar. And it was found out that those who ate candy bar had a quick boost on their energy but had less energy an hour later. The 10-minute walk had an increase of energy for 2 hours. The reason is walking pumps oxygen through the brain, veins, and muscles. At meal time or if you are working at a desk try to get up and move around. This make you refreshed and more alert.Wake up and move around.
- 7There are two reminders in taking a nap. Do not take a nap too close or more than one before bedtime. Nap ranges between 5 to twenty-five minutes. It is best to take a nap for about 6 to 7 hours before you go to bed. If you want to nap close to bedtime, make it a short time. If you want to take a nap, do it at break time and use a vibrating alarm clock. Sleeping at the desk is not actually good, but many companies have offered a nap room for employees. If you can't nap, rest quietly while you close your eyes for ten minutes.Take a nap.
- 8Constant viewing a computer screen may worsen fatigue and sleepiness, it may also cause eyestrain. Look away from the computer screen for few minutes to relax your eyes.Offer your eyes a break against fatigue.
- 9Sugary snacks provides you a quick boost of energy, and is followed by sugar "lows," if low blood sugar creates lethargy and mental fogginess. Snacks like these will supply better energy for long time. These foods may include:Eat healthy snacks to be energized.
- Yogurt, nuts, or fresh fruit
- Peanut butter on a celery stick or whole wheat cracker
- Baby carrots with low-fat cream cheese dip
- 10Involving in a conversation makes you wake up. So talk to your colleague about politics, business idea, or religion. This is a strong behavioral stimulator.Open up a conversation to awaken your mind.
- 11An ambiance which is dim aggravate fatigue. Exposure to light can increase alertness and reduce sleepiness. Try to increase the brightness of your light source at work.Turn on the lights to soothe your fatigue.
- 12Perform a deep breathing to raise blood oxygen levels in the body. This lowers blood pressure, slows down heart rate, aid in mental energy and performance, and improve circulation.Have a breather to feel alert.
- 13You may do it at your desk. Sit up straight and exercise this up to ten times.Deep breathing can be done by inhaling through the abdomen and not on the chest.
- Put your hand on your belly, below your ribs and the other at your chest, inhale deeply using your nose and let your belly push your hand out. Your chest shouldn't move.
- Breathe out using your lips pursed as if you are whistling. You may use the hand on your belly to assist push air out.
- 14Inhale and exhale fast through your nose, and your mouth relaxed and closed. Your in-and-out breaths should be short, do this about 3 of each cycle in a second. After then, breathe normally. You may do this for up to fifteen seconds on the first time and then add on 5 seconds each time after you reach a minute.Another technique is called stimulating breath, this is used in yoga to increase alertness and boost quickly your energy.
How to Naturally Fight back Sleepiness
A cup of coffee or a bottle of energy drink; the perfect instant solution for jitters. But when we depend so much on these artificial 'uppers', we may likely alter our sleeping pattern especially with coffee. it could disrupt our night sleep or reduce the sleeping quality. You may fight sleepiness for 6-8 hours and feels drowsy again when the effect of the chemical is gone. Fight back sleepiness the natural and healthier way with the following tips:
- 1When at work, try to have few minutes break from your computer. Walk around the office for ten minutes or go out and take a short walk. When we walk, more oxygen is being pumped releasing more energy. After a few minutes of walk, you will go back to work feeling more energized.Kick Off Sleepiness With a Walk.Advertisement
- 2If your work requires computer usage for long period of time, take time to give your eyes some rest. Relax your eyes by staring away from your computer monitor every now and then for few minutes. Prolonged staring at the computer can cause more fatigue thus making you feel sleepier.Take a Break From Your Computer.
- 5Doing a routine task can cause fatigue. So if you are doing something like filing papers for three hours and find yourself feeling sleepy, go ahead and switch to a more engaging activity for a while. This will stimulate different parts of the body especially the brain.Switch to Another Task.
It will also help if you try your best to get a good night sleep at all times. For a regular adult, we need at least 7 hours of sleep and 9 hours for teenagers.
Remember: NEVER DRIVE WHEN YOU ARE SLEEPY. If you feel it, pull over. You may want someone else to drive for you while you get your energy back. It is better safe than sorry.
Myth: a nap will make you sleeper and make it difficult to sleep at night.
- Fact: a quick nap can help remove daytime sleepiness and makes you get back on alert mood. Getting a nap refresh you. Studies have shown that a short 10-minute nap makes you improve performance on cognitive tests and makes you more alert.
Myth: a grande latte s bad for you because it will make you hard to get s sleep at night.
- Fact: coffee can help you on your drowsy moment of the day, but do not overdo it.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, Graciela Franchesca Rosario