Establish a Freelance Writing Career Online
Edited by Jmgf, Monika, Christine Cruz, Lynn and 2 others
Freelance writing may be one of the most versatile and growing professions in the industry. Freelance work provides an avenue for people to work at the convenience of their own time. Establishing a freelance writing career online will give one the freedom to work when and where they want, but still provide financial sustenance.
The development of technology and the availability of the internet can provide all the platforms necessary to establish a writing career online, but bear in mind that the most important element for a successful career will be a passion for writing and integrity for work.
How to Start with Freelance Writing?
- 1One of the most important aspects in establishing a freelance writing career online begins with determining the type of writer that a person desires to be. Branding, in terms of the services being offered, is a way to build credibility as a writer. If a person has excellent exposure for writing content articles, SEO or even medical articles, then the branding should be in line with the expertise of the person. Establishing first hand who you are as a writer will be beneficial to help guide you as you introduce yourself into the market.Establish who you are.Advertisement
- Passion for writing. Part of establishing who you are as a writer is the need for the passion for writing. Consider how you will establish yourself based on the expertise, experience and knowledge about a certain task or topic; you're never far too off from your interests. Topics that you are most interested in will create more passion for you in writing. Establishing a freelance writing career online takes patience and a passion and love for writing.
- Credibility & Integrity for Work. Unique and quality content are the most important requirements if you are attempting to launch a freelance writing career online. Plagiarism for content created is a very major concern for most editors and publications, and as a newly starting freelance writer the issue of plagiarism for content created is definitely a taboo. In order to establish credibility and integrity for your work, all articles should be completely original, trustworthy and unique.
- Discipline. Part of the requirements for establishing a freelance writing career is the need for discipline as a professional. Even if you are doing freelance work, professionalism and work ethics are still highly regarded values needed in order to succeed in this particular career path.
- 2Part of the establishing of the identity as a writer includes the need to build a platform for introducing and marketing yourself as a writer. In order to build who you are as a writer, creating a portfolio is essential to boost your credibility.Build Portfolio.Advertisement
- Create a Website. Portfolios of writing style and genre can be displayed over by creating a personal website that will showcase some of the writer's works. This site can serve as a reference tool for the writers and employers regarding the quality of work.
- Business Cards/Networking. This tool will be useful for creating more contacts in the near future, personal and B2B interactions can be a useful tool for expanding the network as a freelance writer.
- Professional Email. Make the email as professional and trustworthy as possible. Emails that are composed of the name from the writers can be considered more trustworthy than aliases.
- 3Find Freelance Writing Sites.
Skills needed for Establishing a Freelance Writing Career Online
- 1As a beginning writer, handling a project and managing it well is a crucial skill needed in order to establish credibility with the clients. How a writer will respond to the small-time tasks that will be assigned will speak volumes about the person's capability to handle the bigger and better tasks. As more projects come in, more tasks needs to be accomplished, thus submitting quality works within the prescribed time will require proper time management and multi-tasking skills.Project, Time Management & Multi-tasking.Advertisement
- 2One of the most essential skills needed for a starting freelance writer is the marketing skill. For starters, the social networking media is a great avenue to promote who you are and what you can do. Simply put, it's the writers' way for meeting the clients. Freelance writing is also a business, with you as the product, so making use of the networking sites will be a good way to sell your services to potential clients.Social Networking/Marketing.
- 3Just like in every career, researching about a task is essential to verify the facts and details being handed over to you. Part of the building of integrity as a writer includes the need for presenting correct information and expressing it in a way that does not plagiarize other people's work. Quality written work will always be work that has been well researched, and as a writer ,it's a crucial skill that must be developed with every writing task handed over.Research Skills.
- 4Certain freelance writing projects will require skills in photo editing and even blog designing, and since it wouldn't hurt to learn new things and study it, it is a skill that's worth mastering. As a writer, one must be flexible and willing to explore new heights for improving with the skills that one has. Photoshop, web designing and even video editing skills are priceless skills that can be used to establish a freelance writing career online.Editing Skills.
- 5Part of the tasks of a writer includes the need for detailed record keeping. As more writing opportunities come into view, keeping track of the articles that you submit and to whom they must be submitted is needed to help you not lose your work. It's a needed skill that will help you keep a progress report regarding the tasks you have yet to accomplish, the work that have yet to be paid for, and the amount you have yet to receive.Record Keeping.
- 6Think you've got all the skills? Then, don't forget to add this to the list. As a writer, negotiation skills are important so you can make it known to your clients that you really mean business and that you know what you are able to offer. Negotiation is not a way of bullying your clients; it's a skill that will help you and your client reach a compromise regarding compensation. One important factor that should be evaluated and taken seriously when negotiating is the promises that you give to your clients. Aiming for better compensation? Then deliver a better quality of work and deliver all promises efficiently.Negotiation Skills.