Enable Talkback Mode on the Samsung Galaxy S5
Edited by Grimm, Anonymous, MsBarbs, Eng
Hi, you're watching VisiHow. Today we are going to show you how to enable 'TalkBack mode' on the Samsung Galaxy S5 or the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini. Now TalkBack mode is an assistive technology that helps those who are visually impaired or even people who simply want to have the added functionality of TalkBack mode. Generally, it is designed for people who have difficulty in seeing and it changes the way you interact with your phone. This can be really frustrating for some people, but for those people who need the technology and are aware this is what they are installing it is a very helpful tool. What it does is if you single tap on any app, for instance, 'camera'. Instead of opening the camera it reads out loud and says "camera". Then you can tap on the camera again, which will open the camera for you. Likewise, instead of swiping with one finger, you can swipe with two fingers. That way, if you're trying to see something, or if you bump the phone, you don't accidentally swipe. It is a very, very helpful feature.
- 9Now this is going to tell us that when TalkBack is on your device it provides spoken feedback to help blind and low-vision users.For example, it describes what you touch, select, and activate. Again, if you are not a low-vision user or you are not blind and you enable this service you will have a very difficult time using your phone unless you follow our instructions which we will continue on with here.
- 23OK, so now we're going to find 'next' by tapping, then quickly double tap it.Female voice: to scroll through a list you can slide your fingers along the screen. For example, the current screen contains a list of app names that can scroll up or down. First, try to explore the screen and identify an app.
- 24OK, we are going to explore the screen and identify an app.Now remember Exploring the screen is just by moving your finger around. Female voice: now place two fingers on the screen and slide them up. If you reach the top of the list, place your fingers on the bottom of the list and continue scrolling up. Please, explore the page to find one more app. You can also scroll an entire page by swiping your finger. To scroll to the next page, swipe your finger from the right to the left using a single motion.
- 33Amazing, huh?So, thank you for watching VisiHow. I do hope this video has been helpful for you and we look for to hearing back from you in the comment section below or for artist video and if you are looking to disable TalkBack Mode. Please check out our video on how to disable talkback mode. Thank you very much. Have a great day. We will see you soon.
Video: Enable TalkBack Mode on the Samsung Galaxy S5
This article is part of the VisiHow series of tips and tricks on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S5.
How to Turn On TalkBack for the Samsung Galaxy S5
Visual assistance applications from Samsung are some of the best in the industry.
Samsung's TalkBack Mode is a state of the art visual assistance option. It verbally announces each item tapped or pressed on screen, and is designed to help those requiring visual assistance. It works by making it easier to know which options are being pressed, before activating them. It's not difficult to turn on, but you do need to follow some specific steps, which we explain in the guide below.
We've also written a guide for how to turn off TalkBack for the Samsung Galaxy S5, in the event you need help with that, or later decide to disable TalkBack.
If you need to learn how to use Car Mode with the Samsung Galaxy S5, you can read about it here.
- 9Now you will given the option of listening to the TalkBack tutorial.If you need the spoken tutorial, double tap 'Next', just keep in mind that touch is disabled while the tutorial is speaking, so you won't be able to easily exit the tutorial. When you're done, or if you don't need the spoken TalkBack tutorial, double tap 'Exit'.
- 10Now you will see that that TalkBack switch is green, and turned to 'ON'.This means that the tap functions of your phone now verbally describe a menu option on a single tap, with a double tap required to activate it, and two fingers to swipe, instead of one. You can press the home button to return to your home screen whenever you're ready.
- 11Congratulations.You have successfully turned on TalkBack mode in your Samsung Galaxy S5. Make sure to read our Tips and Suggestions section for more details on using this feature.Advertisement
Tips and Suggestions for Enabling TalkBack on the S5
TalkBack changes the way you interact with your device.
In order to best assist those using visual assistance options, the following methods of interaction change when TalkBack is enabled:
- Single tap will cause TalkBack to read out the menu item, function, or option you've tapped on.
- Single tap or single press options become double tap or double press.
- Slide or scrolling functions require two fingers, instead of one finger.
- Password options, such as entering a PIN, require a tap and a long press on the second tap. This must be done for each number or letter in a password or PIN.
- Sliding for a pattern unlock also requires a single press, and then a long press, without lifting your finger after the long press. Then you can slide to pattern unlock.
- Disabling complex passwords is strongly recommended before turning on TalkBack, as it can be quite frustrating to perform certain security unlocks when in TalkBack mode.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : All About Samsung Galaxy S5
Recent edits by: MsBarbs, Anonymous, Grimm