Enable Facebook Chat Heads for iPhone
Edited by Train Wreck, Eng
iPhone does not natively allow the Facebook or Messenger applications to display chat head pop-ups. Some people call these bobble heads. However you refer to them, they are little pictures that pop up on your phone when a person or people have messaged you. Previously these options were allowed on the iPhone, however due to system security changes they are no longer allowed. In the past the only workaround for this was to jailbreak your iPhone.
With the release of the Facebook Paper application, currently only available in the US market, it is no longer necessary to jailbreak your iPhone. You can have chat bubbles pop up from within the Paper application, without even installing Facebook or Messenger. In the tutorial below we will explain how to get Facebook Message bubbles, or chat heads on your iPhone, using the modern Facebook Pages application.
Install the Facebook Paper Application
In order to turn on chat bubbles for your iPhone, you will need to install Facebook Paper. Follow the steps below to do this. Note that if you are outside of the America, we have a tutorial on how to install Facebook Paper from outside of the US.
- 1Navigate to the iPhone application store by pressing the blue app store icon on your iPhone.Advertisement
- 2Once you are in the app store navigate to the bottom right side of the phone, and tap once on the search icon.Advertisement
- 3After you have opened the search icon, type in 'Facebook Paper'.
- 4When you see Facebook Paper appear, tap on the download icon, the cloud icon, or other icon which may appear in the right side of your phone for downloading (the cloud images is shown in the photo below).
- 5If required enter your iCloud password to download the application.
- 6Wait for the application to finish downloading, and then tap 'Open'.
- 7If for any reason you had to switch screens, you can simply locate the icon for Pages on your iPhone, and tap it.
- 8Once you tap Paper the application will launch.Proceed to the next section to continue.
Setting up Facebook Paper to Show Chat Heads
Facebook paper is an overhaul of the traditional Facebook and Messenger applications, with a focus on social content and selected news sources. It provides a stream of news and new information, in what many consider to be a much cleaner and more pleasant user interface. Another benefit of the application for iPhone users is that it provides chat heads, or chat bubbles anytime the application is open. In order to receive maximum benefit from this application, we will also need to make sure that notifications are turned on. Once this is done we will receive chat heads, or chat bubbles.
- 1Once Facebook Paper has been opened, swipe down from the top of the screen.This will open the user menu.Advertisement
- 2Locate the gear shaped 'Settings' icon and tap one time.
- 3Once you have tapped on the settings icon you will see the Facebook push notifications option.Tap once to enable it.
- 4When you tap the push notifications option, you'll be taken to a window requesting permission to allow notifications for the Facebook Paper application.
- 5When you see the notification pop up option, tap 'OK' to continue.
- 6Once you tap 'OK' you'll be taken to another screen where you will be told that Paper would like to send you notifications.
- 7Tap 'OK' to continue.
- 8After you have tapped 'OK', notifications will now be enabled.Both Facebook and Messenger notifications will now come to the Paper application too.
- 9This means you will now receive notifications on your iPhone anytime someone sends you a message.These notifications can be used take you directly to the application.
- 10When you're in the application, you will see chat heads pop-up as people send you messages.
- 11Congratulations, you have successfully enabled chat heads on your iPhone with Facebook Paper.Advertisement
- You will not receive the same chat bubbles Android users receive unless Paper is open.
- Facebook Pages is a different application. You are looking for Facebook Paper.
- The application is very different than Facebook. Some people like it much more (we do), while others are not as fond of it.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.