Empty the Trash on Mac OS X Yosemite
Edited by Grimm, Amanda, Eng
You're watching VisiHow. In this tutorial, we are going to show you how to empty the Trash from your Mac when running OS X Yosemite.
- 1First, open the Trash option.It should be on the dock. Move the mouse pointer down to the bottom of the screen, and the dock will appear. On the far right side of the dock, there is a trash bin. In our case, we can even see little bits of trash in it. It's labeled "Trash". This is the option where all of the Trash for our system is stored. To open it, simply give it a click. This opens a finder window displaying all of our Trash.Advertisement
- 4Alternatively, right-click or option-click a single item.An option-click is accomplished on the Mac by holding the option button and clicking the mouse, or using two fingers while clicking the icon. Note that when we click with two fingers, hold, and then release our fingers, the menu goes away. To avoid this, click quickly. Clicking and holding will cause the menu to disappear on release. In the menu that appears, we have the option to "Open", "Put Back", or "Empty Trash".
- 10Click "Empty Trash".This will once again give us the window asking if we would like to permanently erase the items in the Trash. This is not something that can be undone, so if we delete an important file, or we delete something that we didn't want to delete, we will need to use alternative methods to restore the file, as Mac OS X Yosemite will not support that action. Since we don't need those shortcuts, we are going to go ahead and click "Empty Trash". A single click or a single tap on the touch pad will empty the Trash. We'll hear a crumpling sound of paper, and the Trash will be emptied.
- 12This concludes our tutorial on emptying the Trash from your Mac using OS X Yosemite.If you have additional questions, comments or suggestions, please let us know in the section below.Advertisement
Video: Empty the Trash on Mac OS X Yosemite
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Macintosh
Recent edits by: Amanda, Grimm