Edit or Delete Your Google Location History from Your Android Device
Edited by Sarahmcwriter, Alma, Eng
Google Maps stores your location history as you use the app to maneuver yourself around. Many people leave this on their phone, but it is sensitive information and can cause real problems if it ever gets into the wrong hands. As with all private information like this, it is important to take care in how you protect it. For some people, they prefer to delete parts of their location history (or even their entire location history) rather than worry about their phone being stolen or hacked so that a stranger can find sensitive personal information like the routes you regularly take on your daily travels.
Here are a few steps to help you edit, delete part of or even delete your entire location history.
- 1View Your Timeline.Advertisement
- 2Edit Your Timeline.Advertisement
- 3If you want to delete an entire day from your location history, you can do this by going to the day you want to delete, pressing the more icon (which is three vertical dots, and then choosing to delete it. Once deleted, neither you nor Google will be able to access the information again, so think carefully before you delete a day from your timeline. There is no limit to how many days you can delete from your timeline, you are able to delete all the data that Google has stored about your location history. However, if you wish to do that, there is an easier way.Delete A Day.
- 4If you wish to delete your entire history, you need to first open your timeline and then open timeline settings via the more icon. From here you will have two options. You can choose "Delete location history range" or "Delete all location history". By choosing to delete the location history range, you will be able to choose a range of time to choose to delete from your history. But by choosing to delete all location history, you will do just that and delete the entire built up location history. As a word of advice, it is important to remember that once you choose to delete any history, it is not possible for it to be recovered. So do not act on deleting your data unless you are sure that is what you want to do, and you are sure you won't have any need for the history in the future.Delete Part Or All Of Your History.
- 5Improve Your Timeline.Advertisement
Tips And Tricks.
There are a few tips and tricks you can take advantage of to make the most of your Google Maps experience.
- To see the last time you visited a particular place, you can go to a point in your timeline and press "Details". Tap the places name and address, and it should give you details on the last time you visited that location.
- If you have ever saved your home and work location on the app, they will come up on your timeline whenever you go back to those locations.
- You can also use the Google location history website to delete the history for certain days. This can be found at http://maps.google.com/locationhistory.
- You can actually completely turn off your Google location history by going to settings and setting it as off. This will stop your device recording any more of your location history.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Edit or Delete Your Google Location History from Your Android Device. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Edit_or_Delete_Your_Google_Location_History_from_Your_Android_Device
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Edit or Delete Your Google Location History from Your Android Device." VisiHow, visihow.com/Edit_or_Delete_Your_Google_Location_History_from_Your_Android_Device Accessed 26 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Edit or Delete Your Google Location History from Your Android Device." Accessed Mar 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Edit_or_Delete_Your_Google_Location_History_from_Your_Android_Device.
Categories : Google
Recent edits by: Alma, Sarahmcwriter