Eat Before You Drink Alcohol
Edited by Train Wreck, Eng, VisiHow
It's important to eat before you drink alcohol, but knowing how to eat the right food before drinking can be challenging. Some believe that if you eat before you drink beer that you should have different food than if you are drinking wine. This is not true. The best food to eat before drinking is a combination of lean sources of protein and healthy fats. These are foods that will slow the absorption of alcohol into your bloodstream. They are also much better than the refined carbohydrates you may be craving, like chips, cookies, or white rice.
That said, if you're still asking yourself what to eat before a night of drinking, we've got the answers. This wiki is filled with great things you can eat that will help slow down the absorption of alcohol. Best of all, they're also (mostly) good for you, and will help you avoid having to sober yourself up later, or get rid of alcohol breath the next day.
Why should you eat before drinking?
Knowing why you should eat before drinking is important. In this case, it's also pretty easy to explain. Basically, alcohol is absorbed directly into the blood stream through the stomach and intestines if it gets that far. Put simply, the faster alcohol is absorbed into the blood stream, the more quickly you'll get drunk. Getting drunk too fast means you'll be more likely to lose control, and also means that you're not drinking responsibly! Read on for our list of 16 delicious and healthy things to eat before you drink.
Appetizers and Light Snacks to Eat Before You Drink
- 3Surprise! These are a great healthy snack to make sure you aren't drinking on an empty stomach and make a great appetizer or addition to a main course (like tuna or salmon). Best of all, eating pickles with other foods can help increase the good bacteria in your gut, and can also boost the probiotics of your main meal.Pickles.
Main Courses and Meals to Eat Before You Drink
- 4We're not talking about a little bowl of Campbell's Soup here. We mean the full deal that your mom would have made with potatoes, carrots, fresh dill and parsley on top and, of course, a healthy noodle with lots of protein rich meat to help slow alcohol absorption.Beef Noodle Soup or Chicken Noodle Soup.
- 6Ah, the Italian in me delights at the fact that one of my favorite dishes is on this list. This one has lots of good carbs if you're using good noodles, meat for a dose of protein and healthy fats; and it will help refill your body's glycogen levels (the body stores this in the liver for extra energy; so, it's good stuff to stock up on before a night of drinking).Spaghetti Bolognese.
- 7Now this is a delicious vegetarian dish that is packed with proteins, good carbs, and a bit of chili to help your digestive system stay on track if you drink too much. It's also a great thing to eat in the winter months before those office Christmas parties and New Year celebrations!Sweet Potato and Lentil Chili.
- 8These ones are sometimes called Soba, from the Japanese buckwheat noodles it uses; but the dish is simple. Just toss together some Soba noodles, broccoli, sesame oil, red pepper, and a dash of vinegar. You'll get a great meal with a protein rich carb source and some high-value broccoli.Broccoli and Buckwheat Noodles.Advertisement
Tips and Suggestions
- Be careful of what you eat at the party. Things with a lot of bad fats can actually increase alcohol absorption. That's why you didn't see chips, burgers, onion rings, and fried foods on our list. They're bad things to eat when you're planning on a night of drinking.
- Don't forget to hydrate before, during, and after drinking alcohol. This means you should drink lots of water when you eat before drinking, while you are out drinking, and when you get home. You'll feel better and thank us in the morning. If not, then please refer to our article on how to get rid of a hangover. You're going to need it.
- Remember that no matter what you eat before you drink, drinking too much can still leave you a mess later in the evening and completely wrecked the next day. Drink in moderation and drink responsibly!
Got your own ideas, suggestions, recipes or additions to this wiki? Let us know, or update the wiki article yourself!
See more related tutorials: Treat Alcohol Poisoning, Drink on Antibiotics, Drink Alcohol and Exercise, Get Rid of Alcohol Breath, Be a Designated Driver, Sleep After Drinking, DUI Fines, Drink Responsibly, Determine If You Have Alcohol Poisoning, Drink Without Getting Drunk,Get Help with a Drinking Problem, and Drink Alcohol.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Eat Before You Drink Alcohol. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Eat_Before_You_Drink_Alcohol
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Eat Before You Drink Alcohol." VisiHow, visihow.com/Eat_Before_You_Drink_Alcohol Accessed 29 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Eat Before You Drink Alcohol." Accessed Mar 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Eat_Before_You_Drink_Alcohol.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, Train Wreck