Ease Back Pain
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Maria, Jonathan and 3 others
In the US, back pain ranks as the second leading ailment next to headache. Not many people know but back pain is one among the leading causes of disabilities with long term effects on individuals under 45 years old. It ranks third for its long term disability for people over 45. It can hit anyone regardless of age and sex. In 1991 alone, back pain sufferers spent around 24$ million dollars for back pain relief. That is four times more than the cost spent on AIDS treatment.
Recurring back pain can affect several aspects in a person's life; his job, his social life and his relationship to his family. When left untreated, it could lead to an even more serious damages.
You may have been getting regular massages for your back pain but it does not stay away. Maybe there are few things you are missing. Read over and you might just find the answer to the mystery.
Causes of Back Pain
- 1Poor Posture.Sitting for a long time in front of your computer or doing something in the same position almost immobile can cause you back pain. Take short breaks in between work and observe proper posture at all times. Keep your head straight not tilted when you have to read or type with your feet steadily grounded or planted on the floor.Advertisement
- 2Technology Could Hurt Your Back.It has been found out that our smartphones, laptops and Tablet PCs does not only cause damage on our wrists but also on our backs. When you use these gadgets with our heads down most of the time, it causes straining on the neck. This then could extend up to the lower back causing you the pain. Have a break from your beloved gadget and invest in a good gadget holder which gives you a better angle when you use them. We have ergonomic devices on gadget shops. They cost a little more expensive than the regular ones but they are more comfortable.Advertisement
- 3Injuries.You might have hurt yourself from an accident or sports and other strenuous activities and unaware of it.
- 4Stress.We do not only suffer from headache when we feel stressed.The back also suffers when we overwork. The muscles contract so much when we are stressed causing some pains at the back.
- 5Wearing the Wrong Shoes.For ladies who love to wear their stilettos, you should watch for your back. When you wear heels, the body angle gets altered causing uneven distribution of weight in the spine. The instability can bring discomfort from the knees up to the back. No one is stopping you from wearing your favorite high heel shoes but just be ready for that back pain.
Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 1A Regular Exercise Program.This is a key to a fit and healthy back.Advertisement
- 2Managing or Eliminating Sources of Stress.This can help reduce the risk of back pain. Take a break from your work. Read a good book, have a walk at the park or spend some time with friends. You will be surprised that these simple activities can help you de-stress.
- 3Physical Therapy and Chiropractic Visits can help with pain relief.Release the tension on your body with a little pampering. Enjoy different massage types. You can do it alone, with family, friends or co-workers.
- 4Surgery.This may be necessary if the pain gets excruciating.
- 5Manage your posture.Do not slouch. When picking up anything from the floor, do it in such a way that your back is still straight.
Relieve Back Pain the Natural Way
- 1Epsom Salt.Fill your bath tub with lukewarm water and add Epsom salt. A few handfuls will be perfect. The combination of the salt and the warm water gives a soothing feeling to the muscles. This is like hitting two birds with one stone; you get back pain relief plus you get a good skin as a bonus.Advertisement
When To See a Doctor for Your Back Pain
- 1Immobility of some body parts
- 2Severe pain in the back and neck
- 3back pain coupled with a feeling of numbness, tingling and weakness
- 4Loss of bowel and or bladder control.
Some Diseases Related to Back Pain
- 1Appendicitis.Back pain coupled with pains in the naval part that goes down to the abdomen is a symptom of appendicitis. When you feel these symptoms, do not delay seeing a doctor.
- 2Endometriosis.This disease affects young women commonly during their pregnancy period. This occurs when the tissues of the uterine tends to place itself inside the abdomen. The symptoms of Endometriosis can be misleading so seeking medical attention is needed.
- 3Ulcerative Colitis.This is one among back pain-related diseases affecting the modern society. The colon or large intestine gets inflamed causing pains in the back and abdomen, bloody stool, frequent bowel movement and anemia. The disease is curable but can recur even after a year of remission.
- 4Multiple Sclerosis.This hits women in their 20's and 30's. Severe back pain is experienced by people struck with the disorder. There is no cure for Multiple Sclerosis but there are ways to ease the pain and let the sufferer live normally.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- When you are into weight lifting, be sure to do it properly to avoid injury. Seek some help if you need to left something heavy.
- Use a or anything that can support your back when sitting.
- Have your joints lubricated by drinking plenty of water.
- Always use the proper footwear.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Maria Sharon Ubando, Anonymous, Jonathan