Dress Up on Themed Party
Edited by Eng
A themed party is a type of party where decorations, food, and guests are dressed up in amusing pretense to go along with the motif or subject of the party. The best thing about being invited to a themed party is that it gives you the ticket to wear a new personality and be someone or something you've always secretly wanted to be - a princess, witch, siren, pirate, or a monster. After all, there's a Belle or a Robin Hood in each one of us. Being in that character just for an evening is easier than becoming an impersonator or a stand-up comedian.
Origin of Themed Parties
Parties that require guests to come in a fancy dress can be traced back to masquerade balls that were typically a social scene in the United Kingdom during the 18th century. By the early 20th century, these events became elaborate affairs attended mostly by people with considerable means. From the late 1940s onward, themed parties became increasingly popular among the general population wearing cheap costumes imported from the Far East. Much later, party goers were wearing hired or homemade costumes to fit into the theme.
Today, themed parties are practically the flavor of every celebratory event especially for children's birthdays and around special annual events such as July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. Within these happy occasions, the host or organizer will build up a theme to adapt the entire concept of the party.
If you've been invited to a themed party, it can be difficult to decide how to dress up. Apart from the countless outfit options, you also want to be sure you're wearing the right one. Maybe you're that kind of person who shivers at the thought of being garbed in a fancy dress, or conversely, maybe you've always waited for themed parties to come by so you can dress up in some costumes that will bring out your animal sex appeal. Regardless of your preference, there is basic etiquette to observe when it comes to dressing up for an event.
Party Dress Code Etiquette
- 1To be or not to be, that is the question.Advertisement
- 3Creative exercise.
- 4Know the party ambiance.
How to Choose the Perfect Outfit for a Themed Party
- 2Know the venue and time.These are two party elements than can influence your choice of costume.
- 5Try the outfit on.
- 7Solo, Couple, or Group.Advertisement
A themed party allows you to step out of the comfort zone of your everyday appearance. You can either choose an outfit that will magnify your personality or a dress that will reduce you to the background. It is important to remember that themed parties are opportunities to be creative so you can ultimately look swanky without appearing like a lame fool. There's a big difference between a cool costume and a hideously repelling outfit. Which one would you rather wear?
Tips and Tricks
- If it's going to be an adult party, it's safe to wear whatever outfit you like. But, you need to be more conservative if there are children at the party.
- Re-use various items from your collection of costumes. You can save much if you can transform Snow White's yellow skirt into a Teletubby body, or the lion's mane into a clown wig.
- Search for a fancy dress costume in budget stores since it is unlikely to be worn repeatedly unless you get invited to parties with the same theme again.
- Pick an outfit that people will recognize. Thinking outside the box is different from picking a totally unknown costume.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.