Download and Install PCSX2 PS2 Emulator
Edited by Sam, Train Wreck, Lukward Thomason, Eng and 1 other
Have you ever wished you could go back and play your favorite old PlayStation 2 games, but your old PS2 just won't boot up? Well, if you've still got your PS2 discs, you're in luck.
Instead of taking the PS2 console to a repair shop, or selling your old PlayStation discs on eBay or Amazon, you can actually make your PC run those games. That's right, you can turn your computer into a PlayStation 2, with a little help from an emulator and your CD drive. Let's get started.
Download the PCSX2 Emulator
- 1First you need to download the emulator.The best one that is currently out there is PCSX2 and you can visit their website for the free download. If you're doing this for the first time, consider yourself very lucky. PS2 emulation is in a very stable state nowadays, with the PCSX2 emulator offering a complete standalone installer for the emulator which contains all the parts and plugins you need for it to run.Advertisement
Install the PCSX2 Emulator
- 2Now choose all the components that you need to install.If you're not sure what you need, just apply all ticks and let it install everything. For this tutorial, we're going to install everything. Don't worry if you may already have some of the components. For example, if you are running new games on your computer you may already have the latest versions of Visual C++ and DirectX. If you have checked the option to install these items, your system will simply tell you that the programs are already up to date. When you've selected the options you want, you need to press 'Next' to continue.
- 3You will then be asked to choose the destination for your install.If the default one suits you fine, click 'Next' to continue. If you want to change it, either input the directory manually in the field, or click browse and select a location from there, remembering to click 'Next' when you are done.
- 7If you left the DirectX box ticked, and you did not already have it installed, a new window will open.This window will start downloading the required files for DirectX. It will automatically find any and all the packages that your system may be missing. This is much easier than getting those files manually one by one.
Launch and Set Up the PCSX2 PS2 Emulator
- 1Double click the emulator icon to launch it for the first time.Here you will be asked to select a language, which will be set to the system default. If you want to set a custom language, you can click the drop down menu and select the language that you desire. Keep in mind that not all languages are supported, and we selected English for this tutorial. When you are done click 'Apply', and then click 'Next' to continue.Advertisement
- 3Now you can choose your desired plugins, and even change the configuration of the ones that can be customized.To choose a different plugin for GS you need to click the drop-down menu of GS and choose the one that you want. To configure the chosen plugin press Configure on the right side of the plugin. However, our advice is that when launching the emulator for the first time, you should leave all the settings as they are. This way you can adjust and configure emulator settings for individual games better in the future. Click 'Next' to proceed.
- 4After clicking 'Next' in the step above, the PS2 emulator will launch.When it launches, you'll be asked to select the BIOS. As the installer packages don't come with BIOS files, you'll either want to dump the BIOS from your console, or download from the web. We recommend downloading from the web, which is done by opening your favorite browser, and typing in 'PS2 BIOS'. This will return many websites for the BIOS file for your PS2. Unfortunately, many of the sites you find will have files with viruses in them. We recommend you use a clean site, like EmuParadise for your download, or just search directly on the site, which we will now do in our tutorial.
- 8Now your PS2 emulator should be ready for use.It is configured, up and running. You can now enjoy your games.Advertisement
- To learn how to make PS2 game backups or how to run them, be sure to check my other tutorials!
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Eng, Lukward Thomason, Train Wreck