Disable and Hide Application Notifications on Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Anonymous, Lynn, Maria and 18 others
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
- 2 Get rid of irritating notifications
- 3 Checking if notifications has been disabled
- 4 Enabling application notifications
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 5.1 I want to hide an app in my Samsung Galaxy S4 menu?
- 5.2 How can I disable apps on Galaxy S4?
- 5.3 Twitter issue using the app on phone?
- 5.4 Hi, I don't know why when I turn my face the video doesn't stop and there are many other problems?
- 5.5 Why is my Android not updating or syncing to show me email and other alerts?
- 5.6 Hi, I'd like to disable receiving WhatsApp, Facebook notifications in a popup at the top of my screen when I'm busy on another app?
- 5.7 How to remove system update notification on Galaxy S5?
- 5.8 Can you hide who is sending you a message by not showing the name or number when receiving?
- 5.9 Sir I have Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo mobile
- 5.10 How to undo the "content hidden" notification status on the lock-screen?
- 5.11 Hi, am using Galaxy S3 mini and receiving lot of annoying notifications?
- 5.12 There is no more in my settings within the applications where do I go?
- 5.13 I can't find a notification track I previously installed on S4?
- 5.14 Hi, I have a new Samsung S4 Android version 5.01. It is not showing contact names in text messages received?
- 5.15 Show notifications box blocked from unticking for Software update?
- 5.16 Hi! Yesterday while on Facebook, I got a message that Facebook wants my agreement to send me notifications. I didn't pay attention to it. I just agreed. Now, every time my friends post something, the message shows on my phone like I am receiving a message; and it is annoying. I want to know how to turn it off. Thanks!
- 5.17 How to get rid of software update annoying notification ICON in Samsung?
- 5.18 How will I eliminate it? It is so disturbing?
- 5.19 I was able to get this done after reading the article?
- 6 Comments
This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
Do you have some applications on your Galaxy S4 that are useful and entertaining, yet annoy you by bombarding you with notifications? Do you consider it such a nuisance that you have thought of uninstalling it, yet the need for the application keeps you from doing it? If this is your case, then you may have just accepted the issue and convinced yourself to deal with it. What you may not know is that there is a way to have these applications on your device minus the annoying notifications.
Read through this whole article to learn how to get rid of these bothersome notifications. Some notification messages are important, like a notification that you have a short message, or a notice that you just missed a call. Some are plainly a nuisance and disturbing. You do not want to receive a notification that your virtual pet is hungry or needs a bath, unless you are really into taking good care of that cuddly-creature-on-phone. You also do not want to be disturbed by those advertisements created by one of your applications.
Get rid of irritating notifications
The following procedures will disable notifications for selected applications. For demonstration purposes, we will show you on how to disable notifications on the messaging application. Of course messaging is the last thing that you want to disable notifications, but it is the easiest to control (for notification purposes) so we will be using the said app for illustration.
- 4From you Settings, tap on "More" to view more settings for your phone.
- 10You have successfully disabled notification for your target application; you should not be able to receive any notifications from that application anymore.
Checking if notifications has been disabled
Just to show you the effect of disabling notification, we will be sending an SMS message to the same phone and number to see if any notification will come up. As detailed above, we have just disabled notification so messaging, so we expect not to receive any notification for newly received messages.
- 8You should see that your message has arrived but you did not get any notification from it.This also means that the application's function has not been affected, it still worked the way it was intended to be, but this time, without its notifications. [[Image:Walakobay_click on the messaging icon on the home screen to create new short messages.png|
- 9This means that disabling a desired application's notification works, now try it on your own with your preferred app.
Enabling application notifications
If you want to receive notifications again from a disabled application, then you will just have to enable it again on your Application manager. Follow the same procedures as it is on disabling notifications but this time put a check mark on the box beside the words, "Show notifications". Once the box is checked again, notifications from those applications will now pop up on your notifications bar again.
Questions and Answers
How can I hide an app in my menu?
You can hide or disable apps in the Samsung Galaxy S4 by following these steps:
- 1From your Home screen, press the Menu button.
- 2Tap Settings.
- 3Touch the 'More' tab.
- 4Select the 'Application Manager'.
- 5Swipe left or right if necessary to get to the screen you need to find the application.
- 6Select the application you want to remove.
- 7Click 'Disable'.
- 8Press 'OK'.
- 9The application should now no longer appear in your menu or notifications.
- The application will also no longer be automatically updated.
See more questions like this: How to permanently remove Samsung pay app on Note5
How can I disable apps on Galaxy S4?
How can I disable apps on Galaxy S4?
Unless you disable user applications (be warned that some system applications might be interconnected), so make sure you know what you will actually disable together with the selections when you turn those off. Some applications have a grayed out "Disable" button. You may need to root your phone to disable those. Otherwise, follow the next steps:
- 1Go to "Settings".
- 2Tap the "More" tab.
- 3Tap "Application Manager".
- 4Swipe the screen to the right to the "All" tab.
- 5Tap the desired application that you wish to disable and tap the "Disable" button.If the selected application has been updated, you will have to confirm by tapping "OK" that the application should have its updates uninstalled.
- 6Tap the "Disable" button again and tap the "OK" button to confirm.The selected application will be disabled and removed from the Home screen and visible applications.
Twitter issue using the app on phone?
I have the app, can log in, see tweets, add followers, can re-tweet but I don't see the tweet icon at the top right hand side of the app
Try restarting your phone. Once you've restarted your phone, delete the twitter app. From there restart your phone once again. Now that you've restarted your phone, reinstall the twitter app, and voila! It should be back up and running.
Hi, I don't know why when I turn my face the video doesn't stop and there are many other problems?
My phone is Galaxy S4 mini duos
Toggle your Smart Screen on/off. Go to Settings/My Device/ Smart Screen to edit this feature. If you are watching videos in a darkly lit room, this will prohibit the camera from picking up that you have turned your head. Since you mentioned that you have many other issues with your device, put it into Recovery Mode and choose Wipe Cache Partition and Clear Dalvik Cache. Both of these options will remove any cache causing a disturbance with the functions on your device.
Why is my Android not updating or syncing to show me email and other alerts?
I can only access new emails, CNN alerts, Drudge alerts etc., by pressing my refresh button. This just started happening yesterday. Can you please help? Thank you
Did you recently upgrade your device operating system? This can cause the notification bug. First, try clearing the cache in the email and other apps that you get notifications from. Then go into these apps and try to manually sync each one. If you are still having issues, hard reset your device and start over again.
Hi, I'd like to disable receiving WhatsApp, Facebook notifications in a popup at the top of my screen when I'm busy on another app?
I receive WhatsApp, Facebook and email notification on a single popup as messages arrive so to the point that I can't read on the screen what I'm doing on another app. How do I take this off and read the messages when it suits me? I would like only for the app icon to have a star or something to show there's a message for me and not popup the whole message every time.
Within each app setting, you can configure how you would like to receive notifications. Facebook, for instance, has options like a vibration or lighting up the flash on your device. Personally, I have all notifications disabled on the Facebook app except for Facebook Messenger. I just go to the app to check postings whenever I have time. The Messenger app just shows you a circle bubble with the sender,s profile pic when you are sent a message.
See more questions like this: I dislike the irritating notifications
How to remove system update notification on Galaxy S5?
My phone downloaded without my approval the Lollipop update and it is now showing as a notification in the notification bar, how can I remove it? in app manager, at system update, everything is grayed out. Thank you.. I have tried: I disabled auto download update, it did not work, I tried disabling notifications, it is grayed out.
Lollipop 5.1 had several extra patches sent out. You are seeing this notification because you are not to build LMY48T. Continue to drop down the notification and update the OS. It takes about 10 minutes to update and install these patches. Then the notification should go away for you.
See more questions like this: I have an S5 Neo and the notification keeps chiming and uses my battery up. I can not find how to set the phone up and get the menu to set the ring tones, if I want GPS etc?
Can you hide who is sending you a message by not showing the name or number when receiving?
Incoming text messages, want to change so its not visible unless messages are opened.
Unless you have a Samsung Galaxy S5 or higher, you will need to use a 3rd party app from Google Play to remove the SMS previews. Hide My Text allows you to customize 5 contacts to hide their phone calls and SMS. There are numerous apps out there for what you are requesting, but take the time to research them before installing. Especially the reviews. Some of these apps mess up the entire SMS/Contacts integration on a device.
Sir I have Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo mobile
I want to Change Android Version to Lollipop, now I am using 4.4.4 Kitkat, tell me please can I update it or not
Officially, you cannot update it to Lollipop, as the Galaxy S3 Neo phones stay at Android 4.4.4. If you wish to install Lollipop, you will void your warranty and may even brick your phone. If you still wish to continue, then follow the instructions below (all of your data will be lost).
- 1Download and install Samsung USB drivers onto your PC.
- 3Copy these files to your microSD card from your computer.
- 4Download the latest Odin.
- 5Download "recovery.tar".
- 6Run ODIN as as administrator.
- 7Click "AP".
- 8Select "recovery.tar".
- 9Turn off your phone.
- 10Press and hold the power, menu key and volume-down buttons simultaneously.
- 11Then, press the volume-up button.
- 12Connect your phone with the native USB cable to the computer.
- 13Click "Start" in ODIN as soon as the phone has been connected.
- 14When you see "Pass" in ODIN, disconnect your phone.
- 15Press and hold the volume-up, home, and power buttons until you see the recovery mode.
- 16Use the volume-down button to select "wipe data/factory reset".
- 17Press the power button.
- 18Use the volume-down button to select "wipe cache partition".
- 19Press the power button.
- 20Use the volume-down button to select "install zip from SD card".
- 21Press the power button.
- 22Select "cyannogenmod.zip" file and install it.
- 23Use the volume-down button to select "install zip from SD card".
- 24Press the power button.
- 25Select "gapps.zip" file and install it.
- 26Go back to the main menu.
- 27Select "reboot your phone" by pressing the power button.
- 28If you are asked about "losing root access", then select "Yes.Fix root".
See more questions like this: I Can't Show Hidden Icon. after update my softwear in Samsung galexy S3
I recently updated my Galaxy S4 and was asked to make notifications private when viewed from the lock screen. I would like to undo this feature if possible!
You can find the settings to change this under Security. You will want to toggle to Show All Content within your lockscreen settings on the device.
Hi, am using Galaxy S3 mini and receiving lot of annoying notifications?
Every time I unlocks the screen it displays package installer and asking for allow installation of software's from unknown sources
There are apps that need to be installed with you enabling Allow From Unknown Sources in your Security setting. One app that does this is Malwarebytes for instance. You can check the Allow function and will stop getting the message or remove whatever app is causing it.
There is no more in my settings within the applications where do I go?
I need to disable the annoying notifications
Settings>Security>Sounds and Notifications is where you configure notifications. You can also set them to mute in most apps.
See more questions like this: Where is more located in settings so can you please help me?
I can't find a notification track I previously installed on S4?
Lost mp3 track on S4, it was just a short notification track I previously copied and now I can't find it to copy on to my new phone
They should be in My Files on your phone in the applications drawer. Tap the icon and you will find the notification list on the phone as well as any other files that you created and saved.
See more questions like this: I can't find anything on "More" that pertains to this?
Hi, I have a new Samsung S4 Android version 5.01. It is not showing contact names in text messages received?
New messages only display the number even though I already have that number saved under a contact in my phone
Go into the Messaging Application. Click on the Settings icon. There are options there to configure how you want to display or get notified when you have an incoming text message. Enable the Preview Message option and your contact of the sender will now be displayed when you receive a text message.
Show notifications box blocked from unticking for Software update?
My phone wants to do a Software update, which I don't need or want, however the notification keeps coming through for me to install the new software. I have gone to App info and in Software Update the 'show notification' box is ticked but I have no access to untick it, seems almost greened out i.e. hazy appearance. How do I switch of notifications for software download if I cannot untick it here in App info? Many thanks Go to Applications Manager. Find the apps listed as Software Update. Clear the cache and delete the data for each of them. This will be a daily fix though. Either install the update and then revert to your older version or clear the cache and data daily. You will find if you wait on making an update, you will end up doing it later anyway because suddenly apps will not support the OS version you are using.
Hi! Yesterday while on Facebook, I got a message that Facebook wants my agreement to send me notifications. I didn't pay attention to it. I just agreed. Now, every time my friends post something, the message shows on my phone like I am receiving a message; and it is annoying. I want to know how to turn it off. Thanks!
Hi! Yesterday while on Facebook, I got a message that Facebook wants my agreement to send me notifications. I did not pay attention to it. I just agreed. Now, every time my friends post something, the message shows on my phone like I am receiving a message; and it is annoying. I want to know how to turn it off. Thanks!
- 1Open the Facebook application on your smartphone.
- 2Tap on the top-right hot-dog icon.
- 3Tap on "Account Settings" > "Notifications" > "Mobile".
- 4Disable about what you do not want to be notified.
- 5The other method is to open your Facebook application.Press the menu button. Tap on "Facebook settings". Scroll down to the bottom of the list. Under "Advanced Notification Settings", uncheck "Ongoing notifications".Advertisement
How to get rid of software update annoying notification ICON in Samsung?
My phone keeps on showing the annoying notification of software update and I don't want to see that notification Icon, how do I get rid of this thing?
Push it and complete the update.
How will I eliminate it? It is so disturbing?
There is always a notification that keeps on popping in my menu ..
For situations like the pope ups, it is usually related to some application you installed. If you mentioned what the notification said then we would be able to help you further. For now, if it really annoys you then perform a hard reset on the device.
I was able to get this done after reading the article?
Your Cute. But I bet you been told that before.
The VisiHow community is glad we were here to help!
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: samuelsong, VisiHow, charles lee