Disable and Enable the touch pad of HP Probook
Edited by Eman, Charmed, Eng, Christine dela Cruz and 16 others
The majority of the people that have an HP Pro book Laptop, are having problems with their touch pad. Sometimes, they will accidentally disable it, and they think their touchpad is broken because it is not working. Usually, HP Pro book touchpad has a LED on the upper part. If the color of the LED is orange, it means that the touchpad has been disabled. Some users will accidentally disable the touchpad because the switch is located on the touchpad itself. This happens when you are trying to scroll and you accidentally tap the switch, located in the upper left part of the touch pad.
- 1 Disable the Touch Pad of HP ProBook
- 2 Enable the Touch Pad of HP ProBook
- 3 Advantages of Using the TouchPad
- 4 Disadvantages of Using the TouchPad
- 5 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Referencing this Article
- 8 Comments
Disable the Touch Pad of HP ProBook
Enable the Touch Pad of HP ProBook
- 1To enable the touch pad, you simply just need to quickly double tap on the light LED on your touch pad.Advertisement
Advantages of Using the TouchPad
- 1You don't need to carry an extra mouse. Even when you are using an optical mouse, an additional piece to carry becomes inconvenient when you are traveling around with your Laptop.You only need to carry your Laptop when you need to move your HP ProBook.Advertisement
- 2If you are using an external mouse, it would be very difficult to use it when you are not working on a table, let's say just on your lap or on the bed. Also, if you are using your Laptop while you are mobile, let's say in the car, train, or plane, using a mouse would require an additional space, which is not convenient. A small space will usually do if you are using the touchpad.You don't need a table to work on.
- 3If you have been using a mouse for a long time, you will be very familiar with the problem of the mouse not gliding properly on certain surfaces.You don't need to worry about mouse pads or choosing particular types of surfaces that work well with the mouse.
- 4This is a very common problem encountered when using the mouse for long periods of time. The muscles in the wrist get strained and you feel the pain for several days.You reduce the likelihood of repetitive pain in your wrist.
Disadvantages of Using the TouchPad
- 1If you are only relying on one Laptop, there will be some disturbance in your schedule. On the other hand, if you are using a mouse and the mouse fails to work, you only need to replace the mouse.If the touchpad fails, you would have to have it repaired together with the whole Laptop.
- 2A touch pad may be rather sensitive in terms of how your finger touches the pad. If there's oil or other substances, it may not be able to work the way it usually does.If your hand is rather sticky or sweaty, it may affect the way you are able to control your cursor.
- 3If you are not used to your Laptop, the most common problem is that you unintentionally move your cursor as you type because your hand movements are affecting the touchpad. You will be able to adjust to this after some practice, and this won't be a problem anymore.There are touch pads that are extremely sensitive to the movement of your hand as you type through the keyboard.
- 4You will feel that you are able to explore through your mouse faster because you are comfortable with it.If you are not used to using a touchpad, you may find it rather slow at the beginning.
- 5This remains to be the case even if you've enabled your touchpad to be able to click as you tap on it. The way you grip on the mouse while you move it and the position of your fingers as you hold it allows for an easier point-and-click process as compared to the touch pad.If you are surfing or scrolling through a document and you have to make several clicks simultaneously, it is not convenient to do so with the touchpad.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If double tapping the touch pad switch doesn't work, then you need to install the synaptic driver of your pro book touch pad.
- If you don't have the installer of your synaptic driver, you can download it on HP website or you can Google and use this keyword "HP ProBook 4520 synaptic driver" just change the model to your pro book model.
Questions and Answers
My touch pad is disabled and the LED is off. How can I turn it back on?
My regular mouse works. This happened once before though I can't recall how I sorted it out.
If your HP ProBook touch pad is not working, but your regular mouse is, it may be malfunctioning. Try the steps in the great VisiHow article above to re-enable your touch pad. Then, restart your computer. Once your HP ProBook has booted back up, check to see that the touch pad LED light is back on. If it is, and it's blue, you will be able to use the touch pad again. If it is back on and it is orange, you will need to run through the steps in the VisiHow article above. If it turns blue, you're all set to use your touch pad again. However, if the LED light on your touch pad does not turn on after you've restarted your computer, you will need to follow these instructions to see if you can re-enable the touch pad through Windows:
- 1Click the Start button in the lower left-hand corner of your display.
- 2Click on Control panel.
- 3Click on Hardware and Sound.
- 4Under Devices and Printers, click on Mouse.
- 5Click Touchpad Settings.
- 6Click the option titled "Touchpad Enable."Advertisement
Your computer will now give you instructions on how to set up your touch pad. Follow them. Your touch pad should now work. If it still doesn't work, you will need to contact HP customer support line to speak to a customer service representative who will troubleshoot the issue further. If they cannot help you over the phone, they will schedule a repair or replacement for your computer. Depending on your warranty status and the severity of the issue, you may have to pay for the repairs or replacement.
Do I have to download a setting to disable my mouse pad?
Double-tapping the LED light on the laptop doesn't work
If your notebook refuses to turn off the touchpad with double-tapping the LED button, then you can resort to one of the methods below.
- If your laptop model is different, then there might be a switch at the edge of the laptop or a keyboard shortcut. For example, "Fn" + "F7". You will need to consult your laptop manual available on the website of the manufacturer or as a paper manual that came with your laptop.
- There might be a touchpad icon in the system tray in the lower-right corner. Double-click or right-click it to see the options. It might be possible to disable the touchpad there.
- Press the Windows key and type "mouse". Press "Enter". You might find a way to disable the touchpad in the opened window.
- The method that should work for all of the laptops is pressing the Windows key + "Pause - Break". Then, click "Device Manager". Expand "Mice and other pointing devices" by clicking it. Right-click the touchpad icon. Click "Disable". Confirm it. This will disable the mouse.
- The last method is installing programs like TouchFreeze. Launch them, and you will be able to disable your touchpad.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Disable and Enable the touch pad of HP Probook. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Disable_and_Enable_the_touch_pad_of_HP_Probook
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Disable and Enable the touch pad of HP Probook." VisiHow, visihow.com/Disable_and_Enable_the_touch_pad_of_HP_Probook Accessed 28 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Disable and Enable the touch pad of HP Probook." Accessed Mar 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Disable_and_Enable_the_touch_pad_of_HP_Probook.
Categories : HP
Recent edits by: Alma, abhi92, Promise Jonah GCFR