Diagnose Black Display / No Display Output in Your Computer
Edited by Liezel, Eng, Robbi, Nuance
Although you may be a USER, how are we supposed to use our computer effectively, if it isn't functioning properly, and there is no display output?.
Computers are no longer an option. In fact, they are pretty much a necessity for day-to-day life. They have become a fundamental tool for nearly everything we do, including what you are doing right now. You wouldn't have access to this article without some kind of device that allows you to go online. What used to be a privilege for a student to own a computer is now a necessity for every student in North America.
But now there's something wrong, and there is no display on your computer. This article will help you fix this issue on your computer, without having to call a technician. Before we proceed, please make sure you know how to protect yourself in case of a hazard - always safety first.
Diagnose Black Display on Your Computer
There are common issues that you may encounter when your personal computer is not properly shutdown or you experienced an unexpected power loss. Before checking the probable cause for the "No Display, issue you are facing, you need to prepare the following:
- Anti-Static Band.
- Screw Drivers.
- Pen Eraser.
- Wear closed shoes.
Now you're ready to start.
- 1Make sure it is connected properly to your monitor and to your system unit (CPU). You can see the problem you're having with your computer by watching your computer keyboard light status.Check your VGA cable to see if it's loose or not.Advertisement
- When you switch ON the power to the computer, Num lock LED will turn ON.
- If it does not turn ON, try to push Num lock button ON/OFF.
- If it is not responding and the Num LED is not lit, often this means you have a computer memory failure.
- 2You can do this by holding the switch on button.Switch off your computer and unplug the power cord.Advertisement
- Then open your system unit (CPU).
- Remove the memory card in the slot of the motherboard, slowly push up and push down the holder of the memory.
- Note: Don't touch the chips in any part of the motherboard and memory! You can only touch the edges or sides, otherwise you will damage of your computer.
- This is the sample of memory card. Proper handling of the computer's memory card:
- 3Clean all the gold pins of the memory card, but still follow the instruction above.
- Use pen eraser to clean the gold pins.
- After you clean the gold pins of the memory, choose only one memory to put back in the slot of motherboard. Do it perfectly.
- 4Switch your computer on again.
- Plug in the power cord, and keyboard, monitor.
- After you switch on, and LED light of number lock is open and responding (success), there will be a display on the monitor.
- Oops! Don't be in too much of a hurry to insert another memory card.
- 5If it is happen to you, and the above steps don't work, try:If cleaning the memory wasn't enough.
- Change your memory card. If after you change the memory card, and there's still no display…
- Check is your video card. Remember, only put one memory card in the motherboard when you are diagnosing and troubleshooting.
- Always unplug the power cord when you touching the parts of computer.
- Carefully remove the video card in the motherboard.
- The video card has a random lock.
- Find where is it before you remove the video card.
- When removing, don't force to pull it. It should be easy to remove if you've removed the lock first.
- Clean all the pins of the video card (gold pins only).
- Replace the video card.
- Try to switch on again, plug the cord, keyboard and monitor.
- If you've been successful, there will be a display.
- If this doesn't work, replace your video card.
- 6And now your problem has hopefully been solved.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Before you do anything, remove the power cable of your Hard disk drive. This will make sure you don't damage any of your files, or cause harm to yourself.
- If you've tried everything listed above, and there's still not output, and the display is still black, remove the CMOS battery found on the motherboard for 60 seconds, and then replace it.
- Warning. Make sure before you doing this, you wear all personal protective equipment, to avoid electrostatic shock.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Diagnose Black Display / No Display Output in Your Computer. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Diagnose_Black_Display_/_No_Display_Output_in_Your_Computer
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Diagnose Black Display / No Display Output in Your Computer." VisiHow, visihow.com/Diagnose_Black_Display_/_No_Display_Output_in_Your_Computer Accessed 26 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Diagnose Black Display / No Display Output in Your Computer." Accessed Apr 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Diagnose_Black_Display_/_No_Display_Output_in_Your_Computer.
Categories : Hardware
Recent edits by: Robbi, Eng, Liezel