Determine What Massage Works for You
Edited by Jonathan, sheryl hernandez, Eng, VisiHow
Massage is a form of alternative therapy which originates from the ancient civilizations. Today, it is considered as an important supplement to traditional medicine to enhance the overall fitness of a person. Different types of massage techniques have variations in touch pressure, technique, areas of the body focused on, and desired outcome. These techniques can also be combined for maximum benefit.
Types of massage
- 1It is the most popular therapeutic massage in the world.Swedish.Advertisement
- 2Application of pressure to areas of the hands and the feet which are called reflex zones.Reflexology.Advertisement
- 3There are people who have tension in their muscles but would want a light massage.Hot Stone massage.
- 4Unlike traditional massage wherein the goal is to provide relaxation to the client, deep tissue massage strives to deliver the person seeking this alternative therapy relief from chronic pain to tense and contracted areas such as low back tightness, sore shoulders, and stiff neck. During this massage, the movement of the therapist is slower, the pressure is deeper and harder, and is concentrated on tense and painful areas. When done effectively, deep tissue massage will break down adhesions (bands of painful, stiff tissue) in tendons, ligaments, and muscles.Deep tissue massage.
- 5Cranial Sacral Therapy.
- 6In doing this, the therapist uses two or more scented essential oils that address the need of the client.Aromatherapy.
- 7This is a therapy specifically geared towards athletes when they have injuries or when they simply want some pressure on specific sore parts of the body such as the knee or the shoulder.Sports massage.
What is TMJ and TMD?
The lower jaw or mandible is connected to the temporal bone of the skull by a hinge joint called the TMJ or temporomandibular joint.
This is a flexible joint which allows for the smooth up and down and side to side movement of the jaw. It allows you to talk, chew, and yawn with the muscles attached and surrounding this jaw joint controlling the jaw position and movement.
TMD means temporomandibular disorders which happen as a result of problems with the jaw, the jaw joint, and the facial muscles which surround this area and control jaw movement. Stress, which tightens the jaw area, and grinding/clenching of teeth are among the causes of TMD.
Cranial Sacral massage therapy are among the many alternative remedies suggested to alleviate TMD.
What are the four types of sports massages?
- 1Done 15 to 45 minutes before the event, it targets the focus part or parts of the body that will exert much effort during the event.Pre-event sports massage.Advertisement
- 2Within an hour or two after the event, this is applied to the body of the athlete to normalize his body tissues and to avoid muscle trauma.Post-event sports massage.
- 3In the middle of training, this is applied to the athlete to make it easy for him to train harder and more efficiently and to lessen his tendency to be injured.Restorative sports massage.
- 4Its target is to reduce the athlete's pain due to injury and to help him be nursed back to health.Rehabilitative sports massage.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Determine What Massage Works for You. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 30, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Determine_What_Massage_Works_for_You
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Determine What Massage Works for You." VisiHow, visihow.com/Determine_What_Massage_Works_for_You Accessed 30 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Determine What Massage Works for You." Accessed Mar 30, 2017. http://visihow.com/Determine_What_Massage_Works_for_You.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, sheryl hernandez, Jonathan