Deal with a Money Hungry Girlfriend
Edited by Kathy McGraw
Dating her is beginning to feel like that old Wham! song, "Everything She Wants." It feels like whatever you do, it isn't enough for her, and your spending is getting out of control. How do you keep her happy without going broke in the process? You want to be a good boyfriend and it's not like you don't want to spend the money on her, but the bills don't stop coming in just because you're in a relationship. What can you do? We'll explain how you can still be that romantic guy she loves without facing the repo-man at the end of the month.
How Not to Go Broke While Dating
Any girl who loves you for who you are and is genuinely interested in your well-being will not want to hurt you financially. She will be open to helping you balance a healthy amount of going out with maintaining a sensible budget. If she isn't, then please skip this section and move on to the next one.
- 1Sit your girlfriend down and explain things to her in a non-accusatory, inoffensive tone. Take responsibility for your contribution to the problem, for example, your willingness to spend the money, and ask her for her help. If you approach it as a mutual problem that you must tackle together, she is less likely to take offense.Be honest with her.Advertisement
- 2While it is still customary for the man to pick up the tab, times have changed enough that asking to go "dutch" on a date isn't out of the question. Women's equality has come a long way, and she can afford to pay for her meal. At the very least, you can arrange ahead of time for her to pick up the tab for the drinks if you pay for the meal.Negotiate who pays for what.Advertisement
- 3Discuss your travel plans together and arrange with your girlfriend to save jointly for the trip. Have a concrete dollar amount each of you has to save and a time-frame for getting the funds together well before the date of your trip. Then, you both can enjoy your time together without either of you worrying about how you're going to pay for it.Save together for expensive trips.
- 4Grabbing the fixings for a nice steak dinner from the grocery store is far cheaper than going to a restaurant. Go ahead and set the table for two; add some candles and a nice bottle of wine, and you have the makings of a lovely romantic evening. What's more, she'll appreciate the time you took to put everything together for her, and women love guys who can cook!Cook her a nice dinner.
- 5Cooking together can be fun. Divide up the tasks and make a game out of who finishes first. Then, enjoy the fruits of your labor together over candlelight and wine.Cook a meal together.
- 6Putting together a few sandwiches, some cold drinks or a bottle of wine, and some cheese and fruit doesn't require a huge outlay of cash. What's more romantic than cuddling on a blanket with your girl, talking quietly as you watch the clouds flitting across the blue sky? Your girlfriend will think you are the most romantic guy she's ever met and be thrilled to spend such quality time with you.Have a picnic in the park.
- 7Whether you take a stroll around the park or through the woods, taking a walk with your girl while holding her hand is incredibly romantic without costing anything beyond the fuel to get there. If you've got a great spot for walking within walking distance of your home, then that's even better!Go for a walk together.
- 8Plan for an evening in where you two do nothing more than cuddle on the couch while munching on popcorn and watching the latest cheesy movie on Netflix.Netflix and chill.
- 9Whether you bring out the Monopoly or a deck of cards, you can have hours of fun with your girl just playing games at home. Make things more interesting (and sexy) by having whoever is losing have to give up an item of clothing.Play games.
- 10You don't need to spend a time to enjoy each other. Just make sure that you're using good birth control and you're all set for hours of enjoyment.Have sexy times.
- 11If you and your girlfriend do a lot of texting with each other, then it makes sense for you to get an unlimited texting plan. Paying a set monthly fee is much cheaper than getting a huge phone bill at the end of every month for going over your texting limits.Change your phone plan.
- 12Nothing is sweeter or more romantic than getting a gift that your man made with his own two hands. We've put together a guide for making gifts in jars if you want some ideas for what to make.Give her gifts you made yourself.
But What If She's Using You For Your Money?
Of course, there's always a possibility that your girlfriend only has her eyes on your wallet. Here's how you can easily tell if that's the case with you. And don't think that you have to be wealthy or in a high-paying career for a girl to latch onto your purse strings; all that's necessary is for you to have a steady income, especially if she doesn't.
- 1All of her questions seem to be about your job and career. While it's normal for a woman to show an interest in what a man does for a living, if that's the only thing about you that she wants to know, it's a red flag that you're a meal ticket to her.She's very interested in what you do for a living.Advertisement
- 2While it's okay if she needs help on the odd occasion, if it's a regular thing, or if the only time she seems to come around is when she needs cash, then you're her sugar daddy.She's always asking you to help her out financially.
- 3If it's always you who is picking up the tab for meals or drinks during an evening out and she either balks or makes excuses for why she can't pay her way, then you are literally her meal-ticket.She never pays for anything.
- 4If she hands you a list of items she wants you to get for her or pointedly gestures at expensive baubles, then gets upset when you don't buy them for her, she is not in it for love; she's in it for what you can give her.She demands expensive gifts.
- 5While it could be that she always likes to be doing something out of the house, if she never agrees to snuggle on the couch while you watch a movie, then she's just looking to have a good time on your dime.She never wants to spend a quiet night in.
- 6If you're like most guys, you don't like shopping, and most considerate girlfriends would not ask you to accompany them on shopping excursions unless it directly involves you, such as buying clothes for you or a big-ticket item that you are purchasing together. If she is begging you to go with her to the mall so that she can use your credit card to pay for the latest designer fashions, then she could be after your money.She demands that you go shopping with her.
- 7In fact, her entire social world is utterly separated from you; she shows no interest in meeting your friends nor in showing you off to hers. If she's really into you, she would be keen on integrating you into her life and having you do the same with yours.She never introduces you to her friends.
- 8You're the guy she calls up when she can't make the rent or when her car needs repairs, but at no other time. She ignores your calls and texts but gets mad if you don't come running when she messages about needing you to pay for something for her. Wake up, dude, this girl doesn't even like you; she likes your walletShe only comes around when she wants something.
- 9She's not available for you physically unless you've wined and dined her, given her extravagant and expensive gifts, or simply paid her rent for her. If her attraction to you is dependent on you spending money on her, then it's a sign that you're nothing but an extra bank account for her.She won't put out until you pay out.
- 10She's right there every Friday when you get paid, but she won't even answer your texts if you tell her that you can't take her out because you don't have the cash right now. Yup, she's only there mooch off you.She disappears when your funds run low.
- 11If there ever comes a time when you need help to pay a bill, she makes excuses about why she can't and just stops talking to you until the crisis has passed. Talk about a fair-weather girlfriend!She never offers to help you out of a financial bind.Advertisement
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Relationships