Deal with Rejection When the Job you Interviewed for was Awarded to Another Candidate
Edited by Lor777, Charmed, Eng, Emmanuel M. Lardizabal and 3 others
Understanding the various factors that may cause you not to get the job you want is a key to dealing with any feelings of rejection associated with this experience. Knowing which factors are in your control and which are not is the first step to overcoming the rejection. Once you know the reasons why you were not able to obtain the job you wanted when you wanted it, you can develop a plan for moving forward with your career.
Any job search puts you in a competitive situation. When you are graduating, you are mainly competing with your fellow graduates for your fist job. Once you are in the world of work and decide to change jobs, you are competing with possible hundreds of other professionals in your industry. Think of the job search like a major sports competition.
A basketball team must physically and mentally prepare for every game it plays. Even on a winning streak, the team members can never assume they will win the next game. And after losing a game, the team members must meet to examine the game to see what mistakes they made, to learn how to correct those efforts, and to get their spirits up for the next game. The players know that every competition is just a little different from the one before. Some factors are in their control, many are not. Most employers have found that certain indicators in job candidates often result in unsuccessful performance on the job. Employers look for these indicators during job interviews to form impressions about job candidates' potential for success with their company. The following is a list of factors that cause job candidates not to be hired and the potential impact these factors have in the workplace.
- 1 How to Understand What Factors That Most Often Lead to Rejection
- 2 Factors You Can Control
- 3 Factors You Cannot Control
- 4 Take a good Look at Yourself
- 5 How to Plan Your Next Move
- 6 Maintain a Positive Attitude
- 7 Attitude When Not Hired In The Job
- 8 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 9 Questions and Answers
- 10 Comments
How to Understand What Factors That Most Often Lead to Rejection
- 1May indicate candidate will not be reliable on the job. Since attendance is a must. Employee needs to be present whenever it is his or her working day. They should not be limited by their own schedule and to work in the time where they wish to. They should have followed rules and regulations.Poor attendance:Advertisement
- 2May indicate skills are not adequately developed or motivation is low. Low grades will show how you are talented with things. When you have low grades then you will have low change of being hired unless it is reasonable enough for the interviewer to believe in you.Poor grades without a reasonable explanation:Advertisement
- 3May indicate candidate does not know interests, is indecisive, or has no career plans. You should have goal in life and that is to become successful. You may also assert your goal when you are with the company like your goal to share in the development and growth of the job you are applying.Lack of goals or objectives:
- 4May indicate a lack of initiative or drive. You should be motivated to work and to contribute in the development of the job you are applying.Lack of enthusiasm:
- 5May indicate poor communication skills or lack of confidence. If you have poor communication then there was low probability for you to be hired. The remedy for low communication skill is to practice speaking fluently and have intrapersonal and interpersonal skills.Inability to express himself or herself:
- 6May indicate candidate is focused only on getting a job as opposed to finding the right company to build a career. Before applying for a job, you must have skills, knowledge and interest therein. You cannot perform job which you don't know. You should have enough intelligence before applying for specific job.Lack of Interest in type of business:
- 7May indicate candidate is more interested in salary than opportunity or is unwilling to begin in a job at his or her appropriate skill level. If you are applying for job, you should be sensitive enough with the pay. You should not demand high salary if you are still interviewing. Demand of high salary is for regular employees of the company.Unrealistic salary demands:
- 8May indicate a lack of pride in self or in work to be performed. You need to have confidence when you are applying, you should not be shy when you are interacting with people and the interviewer.Poor personal appearance.
- 9May indicate inability to assume responsibility or handle difficult situations on the job. You should have enough knowledge and skills or if you do not, you should have at least to easily learn such skills.Lack of maturity:
- 10May indicated limited experience with leadership roles or opportunities to develop teamwork and interpersonal skills. You should have undergone training and other seminar activities in line with the job you are applying.Lack of extracurricular activities:
- 11May indicate lack of interest in or seriousness about the company or job search itself. When not notified, you may have bad image from the company since they will think that you are not interested with the job offered.Failure to get information about company:
- 12May not be able to respond to career opportunities as they arise. You don't want to be assigned in different places, thus it will result to failure to be hired. If they are offering good job for you and you know that you can do it then you should grab such opportunity.Objection to travel or relocation:
- 13May indicate more of an interest in what the company offers than in what the candidate offers the company. In working, you need to consider all not only what you will be getting from the company but also what will you be contributing to them.Showing only interest in security and benefits:
- 14Indicates inappropriate preparation for the position available. You should have at least experiences prior to your application in the job if it is necessary. If it is not necessary then you can have the chance of being hired.Inadequate background for type of work:
Factors You Can Control
In any job search, some factors are clearly within your control and others are not. The important thing to remember is to take charge of what you can control and learn to deal positively with things over which you have no control.
Each job you apply for is like a new game. An important part of your preparation is to mentally and verbally rehearse your presentation of the unique skills you can bring to the employer. It is also necessary to research the particular company you are interviewing with to be prepared to apply your skills to the company's needs. Such preparation is in your control and can improve your chances of being offered a job with that company. Other factors in your control include the following:
- The professional image you portray in writing or in person.
- The positive attitude you bring to the interview.
- Your follow up after sending a resume or attending an interview.
- Your ability to sell your school training and previous work experience.
- Your flexibility to start where the company needs you most.
Factors You Cannot Control
Many factors in the job process are not in your control and may lead to rejection rather than a job offer. Some factors that are not in your control are the following:
- The number of applicants.
- Other applicants qualifications.
- The company only promotes within.
- The skill level of the interviewer.
- The company screening process.
In basketball competitions, the unique combination of factors in the team's control and those out of the team's control impacts the results to each game differently. The same is true with your job search. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but whether playing in a basketball championship or competing for a job, you must always play to win! And an important part of your follow-up is to learn what action you can take to make your next performance better. By understanding some of the reasons why employers do not choose some job candidates you can better prepare for future job interviews.
Take a good Look at Yourself
Below are some suggestions on how to handle rejection in your job search:
- Keep your options open.
- Try again. Many applicants view a turn down for one job with a company as a permanent turn down by the company. It is certainly worth reapplying to a company you really want to work for, whether for the same type of position or another type of work sometime down the road.
How to Plan Your Next Move
- 1You should ask the employer the things that you need to improve with and why are you not hire. In this case, you will be able to do the things missing in your next application.Try to get feedback from the employer about what qualifications you are missing.
- 2You should have at least knowledge of why are you not being hired. You should have known the reasons so that you can do something to improve them. You can also improve your knowledge and skills if they are the reasons why they did not hire you. When they have told you the reasons, you will have the ideas in your next application the things you need to do and not to do during application.Try to get feedback from the employer about what other reason or reasons LED to the decision not to hire you.
- 3You should have your attention on the interview and not on anything else. You should also have your priority. When you are applying then focus in your application and forget the things that bothers you. The things that bothers you may be the reason why you are not going to be hire in the job you are applying. You should also have time in your application and act as professional.Focus on the interview and the job offers you are getting.
- 4Improve your skills and intelligence. Have some knowledge and more training as well as seminars to improve your skills and knowledge. You should not be stocked with the knowledge you have. You need to explore and learn more things.Do something!
Maintain a Positive Attitude
Above all, keep a positive attitude. Remember that most successful careers are built on the right match between employer and employee. If that match is not there, it is best to find out as soon as possible. If an interview does not result in a job offer, there are some things you can do to avoid depression and maintain a positive attitude. For example, maintain a proper diet, exercise, and get enough sleep. This helps reduce stress and helps you focus mentally. Remember that it is important to bring a positive attitude to your next interview.
Attitude When Not Hired In The Job
- 1There are different job offers that are waiting for you. You should have the courage to find and apply another job. When you are rejected by one company then you can apply in another company since there are choices. They are not the only company offering such job that you are applying.Don't loose hope.
- 2There was no reason for you to be sad. There are lot of job opportunities waiting for you. Just enjoy life and enjoy applying for different company. Look forward that you would able to overcome your failure. Try and try until you are accepted to be their employee.Be happy.
- 3In applying for work, not all the applicants are hired there are applicants who was rejected due to some insufficiency of requirements. There are many ways on how to become productive, you just need to learn and to have more skills for you to achieve your goal.You should be patient.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- It is not the end of the world if you are turned down for a job.
- Being turned down for a job is an opportunity for you to re-evaluate yourself professionally.
- Being turned down for a job is an opportunity to create new employment options with other employers.
- DO NOT LIMIT YOUR OPTIONS!!
Questions and Answers
What are the things you cannot control in a job interview?
In a job interview, you can't control the questions that may be asked of you. It is therefore important that you pay attention to the questions, so you won't ruin your chances of getting hired. As for your interaction with the interviewer, there are some mannerisms that you may not be able to control. However, you need to be more mindful than usual about bad habits, especially if you get too animated while talking. This might annoy your interviewer.
How to explain about rejection factor at the interview?
Ten points about rejection factor at the interview
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Job & Work Ethics
Recent edits by: Lynn, Maria Sharon Ubando, Emmanuel M. Lardizabal