Deal with Difficult Customers in a Hotel
Edited by Hotelier, Amanda, Eng, Maria
Hello, and thank you for watching VisiHow. Today, I will share with you some customer service steps for dealing with difficult customers. At some point in your career, you will likely run into at least one person who is not entirely satisfied with a product or with a service that they have purchased from you or from your company. You won't be able to control how that customer presents their dissatisfaction to you. They may be intimidating and yell, or even make demands. You can, to some degree, control how they react to your reaction to their complaint.
- 2If we haven't listened to what the customer is telling us, we won't be able to convincingly show them empathy. We will look like we don't care. The most important thing is that the customer knows that they've been heard and that the person who has heard them actually cares that they've had a bad experience. It's important that they feel that we will do everything that we can to find a solution. One way to show empathy to a guest is to simply apologize. This doesn't mean that we will admit guilt or fault in any way. It means simply that we are sorry that the customer had a negative experience and we want to help them make it better.This is followed very closely by showing empathy.Advertisement
- 3This is a very difficult but very important step. When a guest is yelling, maybe they will say some things that are slightly offensive. They may be very intimidating. They may be making us anxious or a little bit nervous. Try not to take their complaint personally. Try to remain calm. Don't internalize what they're saying, because most of the time, it's not actually about us.Don't take the complaint personally.
- 6These two steps are very important. We want to keep the guest or customer absolutely updated. A good rule to remember here is to under-promise and over-deliver. Don't under-promise so much that it is not going to please the guest, but the action that we may have to take initially may just be telling the guest that we need to investigate the complaint. In that case, we might tell them that we will give them an update within two hours. If we can provide them an update within 45 minutes, we will look like rock stars. They will have increased confidence that we are actually on their side and working for them, and with them, in order to reach a solution that's going to make everyone happy.When informing the customer what action we will take, provide them a time that we will be able to update them.
- 8Maybe we send an apology note. Maybe we give them a quick phone call just to make sure everything is okay. Ask them if they need anything else and if there is anything else that we can help them with during their time and experience with us or with our company.After we have reached a resolution, follow up with the customer.
- 9If you do have any questions, comments or suggestions, please leave them in the space below.This concludes our steps for customer service when dealing with difficult customers.
Video: Deal with Difficult Customers in a Hotel
Questions and Answers
Analyze 12 actions on how to avoid challenging customers in hospitality organization?
Analyze 12 actions on how to avoid challenging customers in hospitality organization
There are 12 common conflict resolutions in customer care:
- 1Do not interrupt. Wait until they have expressed all of their angst.Let them talk.
- 2Sympathize with their plight and repeat some of their issues back to them to acknowledge that you were listening.Show that you care.
- 3Speak softly but clearly. Do not smile or frown but keep your expression neutral. Even over the phone an expression can be heard such as if you are smiling.Be careful of facial expression and voice tone.
- 4Remain completely neutral. Let them know that you sympathize with them but do not bash the company in the next breath.Be Switzerland.
- 5You can interject an angry outburst with resolutions or redirection but do not raise your voice or lean towards them aggressively.Make a point to not react immediately.
- 6If the customer keeps going off topic or making several different points, try to redirect the conversation back to topic.Redirect.
- 7Instead of using words like never or always, switch to possibly, usually or occasionally. Basically, words that imply hope instead of a slammed door in your face.Use Verbal Cues of promise.
- 8If a conversation turns in an angry direction, assist the customer further in a private area. You do not want to disturb other customers in the area. Move the situation immediately to another room. Remember use verbal cues such as "We usually address these types of concerns privately so please follow me."Privacy.
- 9During the customers complaint, focus on something that you can immediately agree with. Even if this is something small like the fact that the weather is horrid, find something common to agree upon. This will relax their defenses.Common Ground.
- 10While they are talking, do not interrupt. Once they have become silent is when you can interject with summarizing their grievance and offering a solution.Wait.
- 11It is effective to have a combative or agitated customer take 5 minutes to think things through. Now you do not want to demand that they wait it out but instead suggest that they wait in a designated zone while you try to find a solution for them.Offer them a seat in a quiet zone.
- 12You will want to set a limit to how long this is going to drag on. Use words like "In the next five minutes" or "Give me a minute". Impose suggestively that there is a limit to this interaction with you. One sale technique some teams use is a signal that other employees know at that point it is time for them to come in with a reason you have to leave immediately and then they take over the conversation. Often by the second time of airing a grievance a customer has either calmed down or can make a resolution with the new person because they do not feel the same battle of who will win this verbal match of wills.Use phrases of finality.Advertisement
What is a common problem that occur and what way you can deal with it? Maybe a mix up with bookings?
Resolution problem to do with a hotel booking?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Hospitality Industry
Recent edits by: Eng, Amanda, Hotelier